Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #1

City fixture = slow drain into fresh

2015 Thor Outlaw..problem just started. We have set to city fixture at full hookup locations, there is a slow but steady amount going into fresh water. We Only knew about it because the overflow started dripping onto mat.

I have tried to slowly move valve handle thru all settings thinking the was out of alimnent .
We turnoffed the city, used fresh water via pump (doing laundry and shower) to drop below 100 gallon lines then went back to city fixture. In a couple of hours it is already at over the 100 gal mark

I will add to repair list, but I feel bad that it is filling the tank-which we loose when driving. Not to mention an added unnessary cost of water usage on the camp facility. We have been Collecting the overflow for dog water, so it works out good. But any help would good.
AngusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 09:28 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm not sure how your Thor is plumbed, but on most the city water hookup is after the water pump. That means the coach side of the pump is pressurized by the city water. There is a check valve inside the pump that is supposed to keep the water from back flowing into the tank. More than likely that check valve is leaking by allowing water to fill the tank. If you have a shutoff valve between the tank and the pump, you can turn that off to stop the back flow. Some of the pumps can be repaired and others have to be replaced when the check valve malfunctions.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:38 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
With city water turn off and water pump turn on, does the water pump cycle on when it not suppose to ( no water is being used but the water pump start running)? If so the check valve in the water pump might be bad. On my first RV I took my water pump apart and cleaned it and it worked fine.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:05 PM   #4

How do you put water into fresh water tank........?

Fill Valve ........it could be leaking thru

And yes pump has an internal check valve to prevent backflow when on city water (just like city water connection has a check valve to prevent loss of water when using pump

Secure city water ..disconnect hose and run on pump
Then fresh water tank stops overflowing
No wasted water
And using pump could clear up debris/scale etc on check valve

Win-Win and simple to do
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
How do you put water into fresh water tank........?

Fill Valve ........it could be leaking thru

And yes pump has an internal check valve to prevent backflow when on city water (just like city water connection has a check valve to prevent loss of water when using pump

Secure city water ..disconnect hose and run on pump
Then fresh water tank stops overflowing
No wasted water
And using pump could clear up debris/scale etc on check valve

Win-Win and simple to do
I did this long enough to use 50 gallons, maybe thAt wasn't enough. Normall we switch to "fill " to fill tank. Pump is running normal (we use pump on switch on board to engage pump). We are going to KY horse park for. Few days, they only have water and electric at site. So it will perfect place to check this. I will "fill" mode (vs direct fill door)to make sure tank is full.
AngusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:56 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
It will be one of two things, either the water pump check valve of the water control valve. I had to replace both this winter as they were leaking and allowing the fresh water tank to fill and overflow. On my coach the water control valve is a two position control, either city water supply or tank fill. Tiffin parts had one on the way to me ver quickly. PPL had a water pump on sale at that time so I elected to upgrad the water pump while I was at it.