Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2015, 01:35 PM   #15

Johnboy you have a point bout the wife. She keeps telling me i go too fast at 60-65. She takes the wheel and goes 70. Go figure! Show her this and maybe leave me alone. OH , the toad should act like an ⚓

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 01:39 PM   #16

I just read, that the truck filming, was going 65.

Don't think the guy in the MH had any power left, to accelerate for a moment. He was moving!!!!

Old 05-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
That should be an eye opener to all of us about a tire blowout. I put a steering stabilizer on my coach in hopes of it giving me so help in control during a blowout.
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:43 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They had someone watching over them for sure

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:44 PM   #19

Thats some scary stuff, great to see they are OK.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:51 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
Can anyone identify the age of the coach? I wondered about the age of the tires. If it's a newer coach, the age of the tires shouldn't be a factor. The thought of a blowout scares the bejesus out of me!
My guess it is either a 2006 or a 2007 Damon Tuscany. The 2005 and the 2008 Tuscanies have slightly different rear caps.

Here's the rear cap of a 2006

Here's the rear cap of a 2007

But that doesn't tell us anything about the age of the tires ...unless we assume that they were using the original tires which could now be approaching or over 10-years old.

I'm a retired bus driver and had several blowouts while driving a bus on the freeway none caused me to veer off the highway in that manner. I'm wondering if other factors may have been involved ...?
Old 05-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #21

As the MH passed, it was clearly at the far left edge of the lane. The toad is nearly all the way left so the MH was fully left.

The MH does an immediate lurch to the left with no way to recover.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:34 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
That should be an eye opener to all of us about a tire blowout. I put a steering stabilizer on my coach in hopes of it giving me so help in control during a blowout.
I got a question for all who have stabilizer installed. from the video, Do you think the stabilizer would have a different out come? (please,... answer only if you have one in your rig)

I ask this question because I been thinking about it for a long time, I am sure it will help (a little) - but will it prevent a situation like this?
Old 05-12-2015, 04:40 PM   #23

Wow. I can't believe they weren't hurt worse. Poked around on those links and found this photo of it laying on its side. After something like that I would have expected the frame to be more mangled. I guess they are sturdier than one might think. Looks like the toad jack-knifed and got damaged but didn't roll.

Flipped RV closes I-10E past Gonzales | WBRZ News 2 Louisiana : Baton Rouge, LA |

Boy, Flo isn't going to be happy about this!
Old 05-12-2015, 04:45 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkcas01 View Post
Wow. I can't believe they weren't hurt worse. Poked around on those links and found this photo of it laying on its side. After something like that I would have expected the frame to be more mangled. I guess they are sturdier than one might think. Looks like the toad jack-knifed and got damaged but didn't roll.

Flipped RV closes I-10E past Gonzales | WBRZ News 2 Louisiana : Baton Rouge, LA |

Boy, Flo isn't going to be happy about this!
That's a great shot of the front left tire. Seems like a definite blowout was responsible.
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Old 05-12-2015, 04:54 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wong View Post
I got a question for all who have stabilizer installed. from the video, Do you think the stabilizer would have a different out come? (please,... answer only if you have one in your rig)

I ask this question because I been thinking about it for a long time, I am sure it will help (a little) - but will it prevent a situation like this?
Dan, prevented is probably a strong word because more is at play. I have one on my coach and I have not put enough mileage on it to confirm or have experienced an issue on the coach but what I can tell you is I had one that went bad on my dodge 3500 dually, all it would take is a series of bumps or a bad bump and it would set the vibration in motion. If you have never experienced it, it it is more violent than you can imagine. The first time it happened to me I thought the front wheel had come off the truck but was being flung around. I could not get it to stop till I was almost stopped, below 10 mph. A guy who was behind me said the front wheel looked like someone was dribbling the wheel like a basketball. It shook the truck so violent that everything in pockets and dash were moved to the floor.

They are pricey but worth every penny in my opinion. I can't imagine if that happened with these 19.5" wheels. It would do some serious fiberglass damage to the front.

Now back to would it have prevent it? Don't know and hope I never do. I think it also said the driver was 69. Let's face it we all think we are still superman no matter how old we are but when you pick up that 40lb bag of salt, it reminds you you are not as young as you once were. :-/
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Old 05-12-2015, 05:01 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wong View Post

Dan, here is some good reading Thoughts on Safe-T-Plus

Safe-T-Plus Steering Control
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Old 05-12-2015, 05:09 PM   #27

Far too many don't check their tire pressure. Also many run their tires at the MINIMUM recommended pressure. Under inflation is one of the greatest causes of tire failure. Thankfully no one was seriously hurt and they didn't involve others.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:09 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would speculate he was flying about 8MPH faster than the semi if anyone is interested.. NOTE this is only an estimate could be off by 50%.

Clearly he did not know how to retain control. There are videos which may save your life...(Sticky in one of the forums here).

Tags
class a, dash