Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2015, 08:16 PM   #43

I bought a SafeTplus about a month ago and am installing it myself. We are planing a trip to the Florida Keys early next year so I thought with all the bridges we will be traveling on it makes sense to install one. Any advantage you can give yourself to stay in control in an emergency situation is worth while in my books. It probably should be standard equipment but every manufacturer wants to keep their prices down to get the unit out the door. It's all about the mighty dollar, not safety. But in the end it is your life and you take your chances.
Glenn

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2015, 11:03 PM   #44

I read several posts commenting on the speed and I kinda wondered about it myself so I watched the video several times and with a stopwatch I timed from when the coach first appeared until the rear appeared and consistently got 3.5 seconds. I don't know the length of this coach but I guessed 40ft.
40ft/3.5sec=11.4 ft/sec
11.4fps x 60 = 684ft/min
684fpm x 60 = 41040 ft/hour
41040 / 5280 = 7.8 mph
So the best I can tell is the coach was traveling 7.8 mph faster than the semi truck.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060

GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:35 PM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No one on this forum or the other big RV forum has brought up one of the possible causes that we have taken a pretty good hit for on the comments on Facebook as a contributing cause to the wreck was that someone that age (the driver was supposedly 67) didn't have to have any special license or physical to drive a rig 20,000 lbs or more down the highway. If you got your license over 50 years ago in a VW that is still good enough to drive one of these big rigs down the highway. CDL's for a long time have required extra testing and physicals for some time now. Texas is the only state I know that requires a special license for MH's, there maybe others. Most dealers don't care about the ability of someone to drive one of these motorhomes, they are just looking to make the sale. I do feel like speed was one of the factors in the accident caused by the left front blowing out. The OTR rig that was filming during this accident was going between 65 and 70 MPH, the MH had to be going 5 to 10 MPH faster to overtake him like is shown.
IRVTrekin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:33 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRVTrekin2 View Post
No one on this forum or the other big RV forum has brought up one of the possible causes that we have taken a pretty good hit for on the comments on Facebook as a contributing cause to the wreck was that someone that age (the driver was supposedly 67) didn't have to have any special license or physical to drive a rig 20,000 lbs or more down the highway. If you got your license over 50 years ago in a VW that is still good enough to drive one of these big rigs down the highway. CDL's for a long time have required extra testing and physicals for some time now. Texas is the only state I know that requires a special license for MH's, there maybe others. Most dealers don't care about the ability of someone to drive one of these motorhomes, they are just looking to make the sale. I do feel like speed was one of the factors in the accident caused by the left front blowing out. The OTR rig that was filming during this accident was going between 65 and 70 MPH, the MH had to be going 5 to 10 MPH faster to overtake him like is shown.

Oh boy! You're gonna light some dynamite now!

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:10 AM   #47

I bow to your experience Racklefratz! I guess the bottom line is " both hands on the wheel"!
Old 05-14-2015, 06:15 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Well I read all the comments from the videos and on here, and one of the comments was from the Mh's drivers wife. She said her husband was a retired trucker, and a very good driver! From what I could attain, the MH was traveling from 70 to 80 mph! And he was right on the edge of the pavement, right next to the shoulder when the tire let go! As having this happened to me before, in a semi, it happens very quickly! Where he was on the road played a very big part in him going into the median! When the tire exploded, the MH went left, when it dropped on to the shoulder, no amount of steering was going to overcome the force of that speed, to keep him on the road! Shoulders are sloped to shed water off the highway. So, with the speed he was traveling, the slope of the shoulder, nothing he could do but hang on! It looks like the cable barrier is what caused him to flip, as he looked to have it straightened out till he slid into the barrier! In the still picture the tires were locked all the way to the left, we do not know if the steering was intact or broken, but if he was indeed trying to drive the thing, the steering would not be all the way to the left, as in the picture! And from what I could see in the still pic, no steering stabilizer! He was indeed going too fast, as the tires are rated for 75 mph, and as others have stated the road is a E/W road, so no shade! So very hot! Sure glad no one was hurt, as it must have been a horrific ride!
I am also retired from driving a OTR semi for 35+ years!
My guess, he was driving on older tires, took the chance, and lost!
I had a 4 year old Mich. tire explode on the back of my MH, and it tore up a lot of stuff! No cracking, no signs of wear, not low on pressure, just exploded! Good thing for insurance!
In the semi, when the left front tire blew, I went left 4 or 5 ft. before I got control of the truck, and slowed and pulled to the right shoulder! I was only going 50 or so mph at the time!
So, speed, and where he was on the highway were the reason he lost control, and could not recover! I do not think a steering stabilizer would have helped? But we will never know?
This is just my honest opinion! Rail!
Old 05-14-2015, 06:38 AM   #49

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Well I read all the comments from the videos and on here, and one of the comments was from the Mh's drivers wife. She said her husband was a retired trucker, and a very good driver! From what I could attain, the MH was traveling from 70 to 80 mph! And he was right on the edge of the pavement, right next to the shoulder when the tire let go! As having this happened to me before, in a semi, it happens very quickly! Where he was on the road played a very big part in him going into the median! When the tire exploded, the MH went left, when it dropped on to the shoulder, no amount of steering was going to overcome the force of that speed, to keep him on the road! Shoulders are sloped to shed water off the highway. So, with the speed he was traveling, the slope of the shoulder, nothing he could do but hang on! It looks like the cable barrier is what caused him to flip, as he looked to have it straightened out till he slid into the barrier! In the still picture the tires were locked all the way to the left, we do not know if the steering was intact or broken, but if he was indeed trying to drive the thing, the steering would not be all the way to the left, as in the picture! And from what I could see in the still pic, no steering stabilizer! He was indeed going too fast, as the tires are rated for 75 mph, and as others have stated the road is a E/W road, so no shade! So very hot! Sure glad no one was hurt, as it must have been a horrific ride!
I am also retired from driving a OTR semi for 35+ years!
My guess, he was driving on older tires, took the chance, and lost!
I had a 4 year old Mich. tire explode on the back of my MH, and it tore up a lot of stuff! No cracking, no signs of wear, not low on pressure, just exploded! Good thing for insurance!
In the semi, when the left front tire blew, I went left 4 or 5 ft. before I got control of the truck, and slowed and pulled to the right shoulder! I was only going 50 or so mph at the time!
So, speed, and where he was on the highway were the reason he lost control, and could not recover! I do not think a steering stabilizer would have helped? But we will never know?
This is just my honest opinion! Rail!
Good review and from someone who has experienced it. Thanks for posting!
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:39 AM   #50

This is an older video, but still applicable today. It's been used in a couple RV driving schools I'm familiar with.

How To Handle An Rv Tire Blowout | Michelin RV Tires
Safe Travels
Old 05-14-2015, 09:08 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Guardrail pretty much summed it up what happened. About the only thing that could have prevented the accident was the speed in my opinion. Maybe if he was traveling 10mph slower he might have been able to control it better. Who really knows. I am closing in on 77 and maybe I should hang it up. I look for a CG after 300 miles. My avg speed is 60. And I never rush or put my trip on a tight schedule.

I had a left front blowout at 60mph without control problems. When I looked at the tire I could not believe it. When that tread unwinds it can catch on anything including the steering mechanism. Nothing in the wheel well escaped damage. One rear inner blowout. No problem there. I have a light rig, about 22000. Always keep both hands on the wheel. I stop a lot and check things over.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:26 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbahrns View Post
This is an older video, but still applicable today. It's been used in a couple RV driving schools I'm familiar with.

How To Handle An Rv Tire Blowout | Michelin RV Tires
Safe Travels
That is exactly how I handled my front blowout. (Watched this video before many times) When I tried to accelerate the MH starts to slow down because of the drag. Its not as if your going to go faster. And you only need this technique for a very short duration while you insure positive control. Once the initial side force is over, you can pull safely over.

Glad you posted the video. May save someone's life.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:25 AM   #53

Just remember the Springsteen song...Stand On It.

"When in doubt and you can't figure it out just stand on it!"

I think I'll just buy a new set of steer tires every year and rotate them back!
Old 05-14-2015, 11:35 AM   #54

National RV Owners Club
As with many accidents, speed seems to be a factor. One does wonder what was the big rush for? This also proves the case for why TPMS's are so helpful. In most cases they monitor temperature as well. If the surface was as hot as some suggest, such a system might have alerted the driver to a building dangerous condition.

In my province you have to get a special endorsement on your DL if you have a vehicle with air brakes. Have to write a test, take a course sort of thing. I plan on taking an actual driver's course when I move up to a diesel. I am pretty good with my 37 but I am a good driver to begin with. It comes pretty naturally. For some it isn't so easy so learn, practice and practice some more.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:44 PM   #55

National RV Owners Club
Just installed my new TPMS from TST. Although no guarantee, it will give me a greater sense of security.

After watching that numerous times, what seems incredible is that there was that one opening in the traffic on the other lane. A few seconds either way would have involved a lot of other vehicles.

What a shame to lose such a beautiful coach.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:14 PM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Would Comfort Steer on a Newmar helped maintain some control on that? Anyone with Comfort Steer have a front blowout and can tell us their experience?

Tags
class a, dash