Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-14-2015, 02:30 PM   #57
I have experienced two blowouts, one in front and one rear tire. Most of the time I travel no faster than 50 to 60, average 55 on mostly two lane roads. Neither of the blowouts caused any loss of control. When the front tire came apart it was left behind me on the road, which had me riding on the rim at 50 mph. Stayed in my lane with very little deviation at all. Significant sheet metal damage inside the front wheel well and a mangled ss wheel cover. The sound and jolt were so severe you would think we hit a small land mine. The rear blowout was anticlimatic. That is all the instances in 25 years of mh driving, other than slower leaks from road debris. None of the tires showed external damage and were really not that old, we actually tend to wear them out over aging deterioration.
I don't remember anyone mentioning tire explosions with the old rayon and polyglas belted tires in the old days. People knew it was time to change tires on their cars when the cords were showing. However the treads did not last as long as they do today.

Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2015, 03:08 PM   #58
The video on how to handle blow outs needs to made a mandatory watch prior to ever getting behind the wheel!!! I would have never guessed at doing the accelerate but makes perfect sense.
Before my first trip, I installed the Sumos, Safe-T- Steer AND the TPMS system. The TPMS, while not going to do much for the immediate blow out, gives a tremendous piece of mind. You can even see a change in pressure when the sun is on one side or the other as the tires heat unevenly.
Great post on the video, here it is again if somebody missed it.
How To Handle An Rv Tire Blowout | Michelin RV Tires

Steeler34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:33 PM   #59
Geez Racklefratz.....hope you dont have a blowout around me. Its well known that hitting the accelerator gets you under control....then you can slow down.

2001 American Eagle 40 US 8.9 ISL, towing 1999 Cherokee or 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with Polaris RZR in the back.
Jimalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:52 PM   #60
Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed a Blue Ox TruCenter on our MH. Hope to never have a blowout for a test.
2011 Winnebago Adventurer 35P
Towing a 2014 Jeep Rubicon 4 Door with a Can Am Maverick XRS 1000 SXS behind the Jeep.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:48 AM   #61

This might be a dumb question, but is a tag axle coach easier to control in a front blowout than a single axle one? I noticed the one in the video was a single axle. I have a tag, so maybe I'm just trying to fool myself into thinking I'd have an easier time controlling it.
Jeff & Kris
2016 Foretravel Realm & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Cypress, TX
RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:01 AM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by FRasco View Post
Would Comfort Steer on a Newmar helped maintain some control on that? Anyone with Comfort Steer have a front blowout and can tell us their experience?
Here is some other posts on your question, and comments from the man that invented the Comfort Drive Steering........
Has Anybody Had A Blowout On A Comfort Drive Equipped Coach?

Front Blow Out with Comfort Drive

Question on Comfort drive

And post #11 here from a member with Comfort Drive that went through a blow out Comfort Drive and Safe-T-Plus
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:02 AM   #63
Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by RedRaider93 View Post
This might be a dumb question, but is a tag axle coach easier to control in a front blowout than a single axle one? I noticed the one in the video was a single axle. I have a tag, so maybe I'm just trying to fool myself into thinking I'd have an easier time controlling it.
Well I think you are right! A tag will make the MH more stable, and provide a little more drag, so slow you a little bit faster! But don't be fooled into thinking that you will be 100% OK! Front blowouts are very nasty, and depending on a lot of factors, so keep your tires in good shape, check the pressures, or get a tpms. Not many people ever experience a front tire blowout, so don't worry too much about it! Watch the video, and enjoy your MH! Rail!
guardrail53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:31 PM   #64
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
My thoughts

This is all conjecture on my part
From the video:
Assuming the camera truck is doing the speed limit, MH is doing at least 8-12mph faster. (my tires are rated to only 75mph).
MH was hugging the left edge of the lane - not much recovery pavement left.
No Brake lights, but most likely he lifted off the Gas. (I think most of us would involuntarily do that).
There is evidence the right turn signal started to blink once.
Shredded left front tire debris can be seen to the rear of the toad as MH leaves pavement.
MH hits cable barrier in meridian that initially straightens out direction of travel.
This cable barrier initially kept the MH from running into oncoming traffic (Angels were watching over these folks as the break in the traffic was just right).
Cable friction and possible push from toad spin MH counter clockwise.
Eventually the cable trips the MH on its side.

From the aftermath picture... when picture is enlarged there is no evidence of a steering stabilizer.
Damage to Left front is mainly from running along cable barrier .
Left rear dual tires look damaged - most likely from cable running along them.

Obvious stuff:
Damage from removed windshield must likely after crash as it was the only viable escape route since entry door was on pavement. Much easier to kick windshield out.
Overhead cabinets broke loose and are gone. Folks for older MHs... get rid off those old 80lb CRT style TVs. Replace with a 9lb LED. Much better to be hit on the head with 9lbs than 80 lbs.
What Model Coach was this? What kind of cabinets are up there?
Might not have helped, but make sure those blackout curtains are secured!

Edit note:
Re-watching the video several times there is evidence of a *slight drift to the left (don't think it is buffeting from front of truck wind wake. MH has already passed). Driver corrects and closes on stripped line to right. Blinker comes on and "BANG" (Complete tire failure event). There evidence that the right front also does drop slightly as MH veers left. The involuntary lifting off accelerator?

*Was the tire deflating and causing the slight drift to left?
Would a TPMS alert have helped at this point?
2003 Winnebago Brave 34D
Retired USAF (25yrs)
General Dynamics (13yrs)
Woofer-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:36 PM   #65
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did the toad make it worse?

Don't let your wives read this!

This may be a controversial statement and I'm going to get some heat for making it.

In this sequence... I think hauling the large toad at excessive speed contributed to the MH veering left as violently as it did. I think the momentum of the pickup "pushing" on the MH when the driver lifted off the gas contributed to the violence of the jump to the left.

Solution: When hauling a large toad... keep your speed down(?) and only pass when it can be done at a reasonable speed(?)
2003 Winnebago Brave 34D
Retired USAF (25yrs)
General Dynamics (13yrs)
Woofer-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:52 PM   #66
Monaco Owners Club
I've watched the video several times. I've dreamed about it more. What troubles me the most is how fast it all happened.

Anytime I've thought about a front tire blowout, my mind envisioned having enough time to think things through, plan what I'll do to negotiate the coach to a safe stop.

I agree with the opinions expressed that this coach was traveling way too fast. Having said that, I am amazed at how well the driver handled this situation. I do think that it was the cables in the ditch that destroyed his efforts to control the rig. Without them, who knows?

Jim & Kate
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
1995 Monaco Dynasty 36', 2005 Honda Pilot
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:37 PM   #67
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too have watched this more times than I can count. It leaves me wondering about something else. At first, like just about everyone else, I thought the LF tire blew out and caused it. But the more I look at it, I have to wonder about 2 things I see. The coach makes an immediate left at almost the exact same instant the right blinker comes on. I also note the RF dip low just as it heads left. That makes me wonder if the driver actually steered left abruptly (unintentionally) and the LF tire blew when it hit the shoulder. If the left front blew out first, it would seem to me we would see the left front dip, not the right front. If you look at the Michelin videos, it seems we see the blowout side dip. I wonder if the driver hit the steering wheel after raising the signal lever (I assume this coach has a conventional signal lever) causing the immediate left? Perhaps in bringing his hand back down he caught the wheel just enough to upset it. We know he was in the process of turning the signal on as evidenced by the signal light itself coming on. Just considering other possibilities. At that speed, and as close to the shoulder as he was, it wouldn't take much steering wheel movement to put him off the edge.
2005 Newmar Kountry Star Gas 3742
Workhorse W24, 8.1L/Allison 5-spd
JT, Em & the boys, Kong and George (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:21 PM   #68
Monaco Owners Club
As for the video of what to do when your front tire blows it is in a controlled environment and the driver is expecting the blow out. There are so many factors involved like road condition and how much crown there is on the road, if your in a corner and on and on. Other factors are does the tire stay together or fly apart, and each coach is different when it comes to how the weight is distributed.
While it is very good advice I dont think it is fool proof.
I don't profess to be an expert but driving heavy trucks for years I have blown several steer tires. Not two were the same. I had one that would have put me in the ditch on the opposite side of the road if I would have been going any faster no matter what Idid. I had a couple that I just pulled over and stopped and no big deal. It is allways a surprise and if you have a tire under your butt that is beating the heck out of your sheet metal it will scare the bejeesus out of you and it is hard to say what you will do.

In the video of the crash another possibility is he was on cruise and maybe he was trying to shut off the cruise and is why the blinker came on. It looked to me that it didn't slow down till it flipped around. It can happen to the best of drivers, and it would be so fast you really don't have time to think.
Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:43 AM   #69
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's a blessing that no one was seriously injured. I drive 60-63mph no matter the posted speed limit. If I'm on a two lane hwy (like running from Roswell NM to Fort Stockton TX) I try to pull over when possible and let traffic get by me. I just purchased a new set of tires prior to my current cross country run. They are inflated to 85 psi. Add to that new shocks and I feel pretty confident that we'll have safe trip.

Speed was a huge factor in the motorhome losing control so quickly, that and his proximity to the left shoulder. I can't count the times I've had late model MH's pass me with a toad like I was standing still. I don't understand the need for speed when traveling in a motorhome. We take off in ours for a pleasant trip. We stop after 300 miles a day max and leave when we feel rested and ready to move on.

I doubt a steering stabilizer would have helped him in his situation. A prayer was his only hope once he hit the shoulder of the road.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:02 AM   #70
American Coach Owners Club
I posted a couple of months ago about a friend of mine who experienced a sudden drivers side blow-out (4 year old Michelin) while on the interstate. He was in the right lane thankfully because he said the violent jerk to the left shot him across the left lane to the edge of the grass median before he could regain control.

He is not a forum type guy so I called him to tell him about this link and asked if he wanted to see it, he said yes so I sent him a link to the crash and several of the discussions on this and other forums. He called me back and said "there for the grace of god go I". He said that if he had been in the left lane rather than the right that sudden dive into the median is exactly what would have happened to him. He did feel that the speed this guy was traveling did not help the issue but that he was only at 65 and he experienced that same sudden change of direction.

After reading some of the posts on various threads, his comment was that just like so many things there are various outcomes but if you think that a sudden blowout of a tire the size of a 315 at cruising speed will not cause a severe reaction than you are in for a surprise. The damage to his coach is estimated at $15000.

1998 American Eagle
gacamp is offline   Reply With Quote

class a, dash