Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2019, 08:10 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

It's definitely "as needed", not every xxxx miles. I think alignment shops suggest annual or bi-annual alignments to customers who never look at their tires or pay attention to the steering. For them, an alignment is essentially preventive maintenance. The effort/cost of checking to verify proper alignment is the same as doing the alignment.

A sturdy front suspension driven on mostly decent highways should go for years and years without re-alignment, but one curb strike or a big pothole at speed could knock it out.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My OP Manual says alignment to be completed every 24K miles or 2 years. Personally I check my tire wear every trip, going and coming. Since I've never had an abnormal tire wear show up during 40 years and multiple MHs I've never had to do a front end alignment but that may change with my DP as I hit some rough, I mean rough roads in Northern Illinois last time out. So far no abnormal wear but going a couple of hundred miles next week and will check again.

I also keep an eye on the steering wheel alignment as this has saved me on a couple autos after hitting a chuck hole.

I would add, do it as often as you are comfortable.

Be safe - Richard
Old 06-14-2019, 09:24 AM   #17

Thanks all for posting. I really do appreciate it.

The shop said it costs 120$ to test the alignment.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I’m on my 3rd MH and never needed or gotten a alignment.
On the other side of the coin, we are on our second in three years. Both were badly out of alignment and this last one was not level on the right front corner.
Old 06-14-2019, 05:22 PM   #19

Freightliner chase and was set wrong from factory hard right pull. Shop aligned and put in more wedge. 450 all aligned steering wheel. Heavy shop specializes in heavy truck chase. Was worth it no more white knuckles
nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:08 PM   #20

We had our aligned once early on and have been very lucky not needing a full realignment since. We have replaced one steering component in 36K miles and have had the toe reset three times.
She still drives straight as an arrow.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:04 AM   #21

Thanks all,

The roads in Michigan are fairly poor and most trips this year it has been windy. I need to find a flat stretch of road to test on a calm day. Will also check tires for wear.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:47 AM   #22

I would think that DP chassis are designed to go many 10s of thousands of miles between alignments. But as others have said if you hit a pot hole and blow out your alignment, in addition to the alignment anything damaged should be fixed. Ball joints, control arm bushings, etc. If you've got an old unit or car, replacing all the rubber in the suspension and aligning should make it drive like new...most people are astonished at what a diff it makes.

When owning an automobile over the course of a few decades the average owner wont notice the deterioration in the steering and handling because it happens so subtly over long periods of time. That's when you take your 20 year old suspension, replace all the rubber and joints, and bam, wth, I had no idea how bad it was!

-E
Old 06-15-2019, 06:44 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl II View Post
On the other side of the coin, we are on our second in three years. Both were badly out of alignment and this last one was not level on the right front corner.
I am a retired mechanic and this statement makes no sense to me. A straight axle should hold it's alignment pretty good although the king pins and tie rod ends should be checked every now and then. I did add 2 degree more caster shims to mine that made it run straighter down the road with less steering correction.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a