Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2016, 09:35 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Class A & EZPass

Sorry if this has been posted already but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

New Class A owner wanting EZPass or equivalent.

So far I saw that it doesn't matter what state you get EZPass (or equivalent) from so it is best to use the state with lowest fees. Some charge for the transponder & some don't. Some have monthly service fees & some have none.

But I haven't been able to find summaries related to Class A. Many of the states I've looked at indicate you can use it for motorhomes but they need to be under 7000 lbs. Pennsylvania (where we live) allows motorhomes but they need to be registered as commercial.

Does anyone have suggestions for best state for EZPass for Class A (or greater than 7000 lbs.)?
lce3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2016, 09:40 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
My EZPass was purchased in NC, where I live. I've used it all over the east coast without any problems. I have a Class A that weighs around 35,000 lbs.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:47 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We have a New York State EZ Pass issued by the Thruway Authority. They issued a Blue one to use when we tow and a white one when we don't tow. It has worked great, no problems. I took a picture of the Motorhome with the Registration to the local EZ Pass office and walked out with the passes. The downside is they now have closed the office, so I'm not sure how I would do it.

TOM
2003Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:47 AM   #4

PA goes by weight, my class C I'm about 14k they issued me a class 2 ez pass, I do occasionally get charged at the class 3 rate, but a large class A over 26k I think gets a commercial ezpass, the pa ezpass website has all the info also calling them might help.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:56 AM   #5

New Hampshire has the same 7,000 pound verbiage, but when you apply for the transponder they don't go by it- both cars and motorhomes are listed as License Plate Type: 046-PASSENGER

The do have different Vehicle Type Codes:

Car 72 Auto/SUV 2 axle <7000 lb
Motorhome 459 2Ax:Recreational Vehicle/ Motor Home Dual Tr
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:00 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
NC EZpass, used up and down east coast effortlessly.

If I'm towing, the rate is auto'majically' adjusted for the toad.

You just want to make sure that if you also have an Ezpass for the toad, that you take it out of the toad windshield, wrap it in it's original shipping wrap,(I also then wrap in aluminum foil), and then stick in glove compartment of toad. That way you won't get double billed.

Class A 33K
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:16 AM   #7

I live in South Carolina, but have a NC EZ Pass, since SC does not have them. Very easily done on-line, I've never had any problems with billing or any other issues. They don't care where you live, as long as you have a bank card.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:35 PM   #8

I have a ezpass from NY. In NY i am charged the passenger car rate as the pass is registered to the coach. We have a blue one for towing and a white one for coach alone. When we travel outside NY the rates charged seem to be commercial rates. 2012 Diplomat with tag axel
Old 10-22-2016, 05:43 PM   #9

Have a Mass ezPass, 4 axle, over 25K. Cheap tolls in MA, arm and a leg on the NY thruway because of the "equivalence" was a Commercial truck. About $90 across the state.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsekr View Post
Have a Mass ezPass, 4 axle, over 25K. Cheap tolls in MA, arm and a leg on the NY thruway because of the "equivalence" was a Commercial truck. About $90 across the state.
I also have Mass. Not sure now, but when I got mine it was free. Just throw $20 in the account and your cc number and it will replenish as needed.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:51 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I got my EZPass from MA as well. When I got it about 2 years ago, it was free, just needed to open an account. I actually got two transponders, one for the car and one for the RV (class A). The RV one is setup so I can two the car, meaning the one transponder handles both vehicles when going through tolls.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:16 PM   #12

E-ZPass Group - About E-ZPass

https://www.ezpassva.com/pdfs/reference_codes.pdf

Here is some good information on Ezpass and the classification of vehicles. As an example I have 2 transponders 1 for class A 2 axle, 6 tires over 7000 lbs vehicle code 459 and another when towing 4 axle, 10 tires over 7000, Vehicle code 467
Old 10-22-2016, 09:03 PM   #13

I have a PA EZ-Pass from PA and my motorhome a Winnebago Forza 34T, 26,000 GVWR, is registered in PA - and it is not registered commercially. Transferred from my prior Class C, just called them and had it transferred to the Class A.
Thanks
Old 10-22-2016, 10:59 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ice, if PA insists you register as a commercial vehicle, just hop across the river to NJ and buy theirs.

We had a NJ EZPass years ago when we lived in MA, before MA even issued them. I don't recall any monthly fees for NJ. Now we have an IL IPass, part of same system. We had to pay setup fees for two transponders but there are no monthly charges.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a