Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
I once read a book about a woman that rowed a boat across the Atlantic Ocean. She rigged the row boat with everything that she could to get her across that ocean, and she was quite self sufficient. That is until she was hit by more than one hurricane. She then was forced to call for help and was rescued by a freighter that was somewhere in the area. Of course for the freighter to navigate a different course caused it delays and thousands of gallons an hour in fuel along with paying man hours and the possibility of danger to the men that had to go into the sea in lifeboats to help with her recovery. She did not have a means to help herself out of that danger.
Towing a toad will make you more self sufficient. Should you breakdown along the highway, all you need to do is unhook and drive to a place that may help. Without the tow you need another way to do the same thing.
Is that enough to convince you to pull a toad? I doubt it! However bringing your own car with you may allow you to have control of where you go, when you go, and how you go, and it may allow you to do it without the need of involving others to get it done at their expense. As much as anything, that is why I Toad. However my reasoning is no reason why you should make the same decision!
Also there are many areas in the country that car rentals are unavailable. Arguments can be made for doing both.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #16

Small scooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
We have two scooters and since they are 49cc no motorcycle license required! I do recommend you take a (MSF) Motorcycle safety foundation course so you are not the cause of your own death. We had a nice little carrier built that slides into the receiver of the coach. Holds both scooters and a couple bikes. The bad part is the rainy days but that's what full face helmets are for.
We looked at many small displacement such as yours. We only wanted one thing to drive so 250 CC's felt much better with 2 onboard. Weight was a factor as we have a gas MH and a 14 foot overhang. DP's can haul Harleys if they want to. We use mountain bikes as well but carry them inside. Had too many expensive bikes stolen over the years. Bikes are a good alternative for touring entire small towns if you're fit enough to do it. This link will prove interesting as they use two small displacement scooters which are stored in their basement. They're full timers without a toad.

http://ourodyssey.blogspot.com/searc...20of%20Odyssey
Old 02-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #17

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL

We looked at many small displacement such as yours. We only wanted one thing to drive so 250 CC's felt much better with 2 onboard. Weight was a factor as we have a gas MH and a 14 foot overhang. DP's can haul Harleys if they want to. We use mountain bikes as well but carry them inside. Had too many expensive bikes stolen over the years. Bikes are a good alternative for touring entire small towns if you're fit enough to do it. This link will prove interesting as they use two small displacement scooters which are stored in their basement. They're full timers without a toad.

http://ourodyssey.blogspot.com/searc...20of%20Odyssey
If I had a rig that size I could use my motorhome as a toad! Seriously nice rig, If I stripped all the plastic of my 2 scooters I could put them underneath. My gasser has a long overhang as well and our receiver hitch scooter holder could hold 2 250 bikes as well. Once I figure out how to upload photos from the IPad (doesn't recognize any on file) all post what ours looks like with and without the scooters mounted.
Ron
Old 02-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Lake Placid/Whiteface Mtn. KOA Wilmington, New York
Send a message via AIM to grundon7 Send a message via Skype™ to grundon7
Before we went fulltime we went without toad used Enterprise with great sucess. They will bring car to campground if it is within their radius? They will also give good directions for yu to get to their office, just let them know you are driving an RV. Then your co-pilot can follow you to campground. If your in the San Francisco area Enterprise is in walking distance to Encore Resorts in Pacifica right on the ocean. Enjoy!!!
Old 02-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I always tow. Even if a short 3 day trip. If problem with M/H I can take toad to get what I need. Plus I always forget something and need to run to the store. My fuel economy does not change with/without tow.Just stay off toll roads.. You have now a bunch of axles to pay for.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #20

I take a Kymco 200i Yager scooter along, been great even two up.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #21

I have a nice 2001 sunfire Pontiac all set up to pull brackets lights and it is in excellent condition 64000 miles. I have only pulled it twice got a new Saturn, it just sets in the Garage, if you are interested give me a call I am in OH you can always fly in and pick it up. 419 307 6474 wcombs34
Old 02-16-2011, 09:07 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
We plan to camp places where we do lots of walking and lots of camping. After long drive last thing we want to do is drive a toad. Once bus is parked, we are on foot and love it.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
My wife and I use Segways for getting around. When we go full time in 135 days we'll also use a toad, but the Segways replaced our toad for the past few years.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #24

I am set up to pull my wife's Buick Enclave but I rarely do.
I have a 36' Motorhome which I feel is large enough and comfortable but not so long as to limit access to many places. Had a 40' and found it just did not go to places I needed to get, especially with a toad.
I can easily get into Malls, Resturants with large parking, and any store I really need, I just take up 2 parking places in most parking lots or 5 if I have to park on the edge or curb (I only do this if the store or resturant is not busy).
I can get fuel at most convience stores without having to go to a truck stop.
I can park it in a driveway if visiting a friend or even on the street in most places.
I have yet to find a major destination, park, or attraction that does not have adequate parking, usually they have RV or Bus parking.
I often boondock at Ski resorts, Lakes, or Parks.
When I pull the Toad it limits me to where I can go with the Motorhome and I like to have my rig with me.
If my wife wants to go shopping I have somewhere to relax. If she gets tired of skiing or hiking or whatever we are doing she can relax in her own home.
Usually the only time we take the toad is when we have friends traveling with us so they can have some freedom or can get to a nearby motel.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #25
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
This thread has gotten off topic.

The no toad topic is here.

Closed Thread