Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #1

Class A and Traveling with NO Toad

I would welcome comments from those of you who have class A and travel without a toad.

I believe I know the advantages of a toad, easy to get around once you land, security, etc. However, I see these as negatives
1. I have to buy another car Minimum 5-10k investment
2. Have to set up for towing $2-4 k investment
3. In my case, have to find some place to store it.

We are planning on taking several short trips with a couple of 1-2 week trips for the next 2-3 years until we retire. We have a 40 foot Safari Panther DP

I would ask for those of you who have a class a and enjoy RV ing without a toad and what problems you encounter and why you have elected to not toad. Can you rent when you need to? etc?

Thanks for more info for a newbie

Rick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thats why we rent if we are straying for 2 days or more. We take short close trips and have rented from Enterprise. We call ahead and most of the time they deliver to the CG.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #3

I prefer driving without the toad and have stayed at a state park in WI where Enterprise delivered the car about 15 miles. I do use a dolly to take the car when I can't find a rental that's close enough. I think you will just need to try it and see what works best for you.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #4

We use this and are on the road for months at a time. Has no problems even on steep mountain roads. You need a motorcycle license.

You do have to be careful of the bears.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #5

We currently do not have a toad. We purchased the MH last November and I would like to drive it for a season without towing anything.

So far we planed our 2011 vacations with all of this in mind.

Music festivals and NASCAR races we never leave the grounds for the 4-5 days that we are there.

Long weekends in State Parks we hike and ride bicycles.

A week in Washington DC, we can use public transportation form the campground.

My future commuter car purchase has all of this in mind. The only item I will need is the baseplate and wiring. Everything else came with the motorhome.

Look at some of the car rental companies, most deliver. Once we stayed at a campground in Gatlinburg TN where they rented vehicles right form the campground. Very convenient.

Good luck with your decisions.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
If you haul a toad where I'm from and you want to travel to the huge Island east of us, it would add about $250.00 to your trip in ferry fees. Being I live in a mountainous region with many many up up up and further ups the coach tends to burn fuel at an alarming rate. (Did I mention I'm on a gas powered unit. I do find it easier to not toad and rent where I am going whenever I will require a vehicle.

Planning ahead and buying your necessities before arriving at the campground is not hard to organize and this keeps some costs down. We estimate we save about $500.00 each off Island trip by not pulling a toad (ferries and fuel) and this will pay for a few car rentals.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #7

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL
We use this and are on the road for months at a time. Has no problems even on steep mountain roads. You need a motorcycle license.

You do have to be careful of the bears.
We have two scooters and since they are 49cc no motorcycle license required! I do recommend you take a (MSF) Motorcycle safety foundation course so you are not the cause of your own death. We had a nice little carrier built that slides into the receiver of the coach. Holds both scooters and a couple bikes. The bad part is the rainy days but that's what full face helmets are for.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Plan ahead, stop to get what you need, stop to see whatever. We hike a lot, after sitting a lot driving we like to get out and walk anyway. You can also rent a vehicle, the rental will come to you by most agencies. We do have bikes, and if I know I'm going to need a ride, well public transportation works. You meet a lot of new people that way too.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:54 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Actually our first four years we traveled without a toad. Most trips were of the 3 week variety and we were not in one area for any length of time and found that renting a vehicle was the way to go. We rented from Enterprise. They were great in usually having the vehicle you wanted and would either deliver the vehicle to the park or at least pick you up and take you back when you were turning it in. Worked for us then but now are trips are much longer in time and stay put in an area for much longer durations so the toad ownership works better for us now.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:45 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We first started towing a MC trailer. Having the Harleys was fun but you always had to find a spot for then shove the trailer out of the way. Not so good for getting groceries either or in the rain. Had a few cold rides too.

For the next few years we rented. Either dropped one of us off at the car rental, took a cab to it or hitched a ride with a friend. Rented convertibles when we could for fun. The rentals were cheaper than buying another car and setting it up for towing. Don't forget insurance and maintenance.

Now since we go for months not weeks we got a toad. Lucky enough to find an older but in great shape little car already set up to tow and its a convertible
Old 02-13-2011, 06:52 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
As price of fuel goes up and up am begining to think going toadless.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:07 AM   #12

As none of our owned vehicles can be towed 4 down, we have never towed .

The only time we wished that we had a car was when our son graduated from Parris Island boot camp and we were touring Beaufort S.C. in the coach. There was plenty of parking, but NO CAMPER PARKING signs prevented us from stopping. Beaufort is the only town we have been to where parking the RV was not allowed in normal streetside parking.

We have always been able to get into shopping centers or Walmart to get supplies.

This weekend we are going to Saint Augustine Beach and want a vehicle so that we can take in the village of St. Augustine. Enterprise will pick us up and the car is only $9.99 per day over the weekend. We are staying until Monday, so the fact that Enterprise is closed on Sunday does not prevent us from taking advantage of their great weekend rates.

People who tow will always tow, and then there are some of us who figure that at the Enterprise RAC rate, it will take a long time to spend the $ required for another vehicle and the tow setup.

Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
Old 02-13-2011, 07:44 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
We never have towed another vehicle. We went to San Antonio and stayed at a park right on the city bus line. We went to Aransas Pass and rode the city trolley which stopped at our park. We went to state parks and rode our bicycles. We went to the Grand Canyon and rode the park bus. We drive our class A to theme parks and have lunch and rest without paying their high prices, we park on the edge of the parking lot. I would worry too much if I had a toad back there. You cannot back up AT ALL with a toad behind you.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrick View Post
I would welcome comments from those of you who have class A and travel without a toad.

I believe I know the advantages of a toad, easy to get around once you land, security, etc. However, I see these as negatives
1. I have to buy another car Minimum 5-10k investment
2. Have to set up for towing $2-4 k investment
3. In my case, have to find some place to store it.

We are planning on taking several short trips with a couple of 1-2 week trips for the next 2-3 years until we retire. We have a 40 foot Safari Panther DP

I would ask for those of you who have a class a and enjoy RV ing without a toad and what problems you encounter and why you have elected to not toad. Can you rent when you need to? etc?

Thanks for more info for a newbie

Rick
Rick,
5 years rving a class A without a toad..we travel to and stay at 6 states to visit friends and relatives..when we need wheels i call Enterprise..last year 2010 we rented (4 times) for a total of 12 days the cost was $687.47...in my opinion renting is the way..if i was to fulltiming i woud have a toad..
cost for a third vehicle, license,insurance,depreciation,ect adds up and peace of mind not worring about whats going on to the toad behind the rv..and brakeing and accelerating is another consideration..
i have seen some rv's with toads having problems fueling up and you don't back up with a toad behind
do you burn more fuel pulling a 3500# toad? some rvers say yes a little, some say not noticeable except in mountain areas, and some lie a little
peter d
09 tiffin red dp
toad, Enterprise car rental
Closed Thread