Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #1

Class A Bicycle Rack

I saw a rig go by with a bike rack setup I'd like to duplicate, but have no idea what it was and only saw it for a brief moment.

Two bikes were held high above the space between the motorhome and the toad.
The bikes ran cross wise just as the would with a common receiver hitch bike rack but were held much higher.

I don't think the bike rack was attached to the back of the Class A, or the front of the Toad.

Anyone familiar with such a rack and have a link or brand name/model to share?
WheelingOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #2

Well Sir,
What I'm pretty sure you saw was a double receiver extension. That is, it's a unit that inserts into your receiver on your coach but, it has TWO receivers built into it. One is higher, for the purpose of carrying bikes or, maybe a spare tire or, whatever. The other is the normal one that you'd put your tow bar in. Here is an example of that:

https://www.amazon.com/Connor-Hitch-...hitch+receiver

Now, with that unit, you just get your regular bike rack, whatever one you choose and, set things up as normal. Then, put your tow bar in the lower one and, you're off to the races, as Groucho Marx used to say.
Scott

P.S. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but, why not just carry them on the CRV that's in your sig, that you use as a toad? That's the way I did it and it worked great.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:32 AM   #3

Did it look like this?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3456.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	752.0 KB
ID:	209661Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3459.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	798.5 KB
ID:	209662
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post

P.S. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but, why not just carry them on the CRV that's in your sig, that you use as a toad? That's the way I did it and it worked great.
Scott
Thanks. To answer your question, because I don't want to carry the bikes on the Toad everywhere we go and will often rather leave them at camp.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
The bikes were held at about that height, but I didn't get a look at the rack setup.

You have a lot going on with that setup. What are the details? What tow rating were you able to retain with it?

I have the same bike rack BTW.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #6

we used a 4-bike rack on the rear of our Palazzo for several years, via a dual 'accessory' 2" receiver, and the BlueOx towbar and Ford Focus in tow. The bikes are high enough that even though they 'hang' off the bike rack, they don't interfere with the front or hood of the tow vehicle.... worked just fine, never any issues, no matter how tight the turns or steep the dips!

The bike rack and dual receiver were both purchased off the shelf at the local W*mt : )

we've even gone a step farther, when we journeyed to Alaska last year for several months... TWO accessory receivers: one for the cargo platform to hold the Kyak, and the second for the Bike Rack, and then the tow car. All worked fine.
RVinsurance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #7

Class A Bicycle Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyonlands View Post
The bikes were held at about that height, but I didn't get a look at the rack setup.

You have a lot going on with that setup. What are the details? What tow rating were you able to retain with it?

I have the same bike rack BTW.

Not sure about the retained tow rating. I don’t think the bikes and rack make a difference in that. I use a hitch splitter and a tow extension. Towing a wrangler without issues. Here are some more pics. I also use a Skinz cover that fits all four bikes. Also, the NV tilts down to allow for engine access without removing the bikes.

Let me know if you need more info.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3457.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	602.6 KB
ID:	209663Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3458.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	642.8 KB
ID:	209664Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3289.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	707.5 KB
ID:	209665
Old 07-05-2018, 12:28 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Not sure about the retained tow rating. I don’t think the bikes and rack make a difference in that. I use a hitch splitter and a tow extension. Towing a wrangler without issues. Here are some more pics. I also use a Skinz cover that fits all four bikes. Also, the NV tilts down to allow for engine access without removing the bikes.

Let me know if you need more info.
Attachment 209663Attachment 209664Attachment 209665
I see you're using a hitch extension. My parents used one of those when towing their enclosed car trailer. After quite a few years of use, the hitch extension broke one day going up a hill after they went over a big dip/bounce in the road. Luckily they weren't going fast the trailer just dug into the ground and didn't do any damage.

You wouldn't have much hitch weight as you're towing 4 down, but it's still something to think about. I am not a fan of hitch extensions for that very reason.

To the OP, you have to consider the combined weight of the bikes you plan to use as well as the bike rack. Which actually can really start to add up. The combined weight of the bikes and the rack need to be added to the hitch weight of whatever trailer or item you're towing. Once you know the combined weight of the bikes and rack, you will know how it affects the tow rating of your motorhome. You need to ensure you don't exceed the hitch rating of your motorhome, which if it's a DP is probably around 1000 lbs, but your motorhome will tell you this on the transport decal.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #9

Thanks for sharing. I will keep an eye on it. So far 100K miles and no issues, but then you never know when something can happen.
J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
I see you're using a hitch extension. My parents used one of those when towing their enclosed car trailer. After quite a few years of use, the hitch extension broke one day going up a hill after they went over a big dip/bounce in the road. Luckily they weren't going fast the trailer just dug into the ground and didn't do any damage.

You wouldn't have much hitch weight as you're towing 4 down, but it's still something to think about. I am not a fan of hitch extensions for that very reason.

To the OP, you have to consider the combined weight of the bikes you plan to use as well as the bike rack. Which actually can really start to add up. The combined weight of the bikes and the rack need to be added to the hitch weight of whatever trailer or item you're towing. Once you know the combined weight of the bikes and rack, you will know how it affects the tow rating of your motorhome. You need to ensure you don't exceed the hitch rating of your motorhome, which if it's a DP is probably around 1000 lbs, but your motorhome will tell you this on the transport decal.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:22 PM   #10

Here is another example of a dual hitch model. The video shows it being used with a bicycle rack. https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adapt.../RM-077-8.html
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:37 PM   #11

Thanks. Just the kind of setup that will be ideal for us.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyonlands View Post
Thanks. Just the kind of setup that will be ideal for us.

Just a FYI unfortunately some coach's require a riser (mine does) because the base plate on my Edge is crazy high. Since I'm already using a riser in the "up" position to tow it's not possible to utilize a dual hitch receiver. At least I've never seen one that I could use. Anyway I'm also a Kuat devote I have the Sherpa and unless something changes only way I know of to carry bikes is racked on the back of the toad. I would like to have coach & toad options.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
Just a FYI unfortunately some coach's require a riser (mine does) because the base plate on my Edge is crazy high. Since I'm already using a riser in the "up" position to tow it's not possible to utilize a dual hitch receiver. At least I've never seen one that I could use. Anyway I'm also a Kuat devote I have the Sherpa and unless something changes only way I know of to carry bikes is racked on the back of the toad. I would like to have coach & toad options.

Did you see my hitch receiver? That top piece was welded on so I could put the rack in it.

J
Old 07-05-2018, 06:59 PM   #14

Here’s my setup. This has worked out great!

- Gen Y Receiver. I had to use this because I need both my tie bar and bike rack to be higher than the MH receiver. These come in multiple configurations.
GEN-Y Hitch 500 Series 2" Shank Class V Receiver 12.5" Drop ; GH-516 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DQ3LDSU..._oHRpBb6VMYVFC

- ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar. Required 6 receiver slots on the Gen Y to clear the surge brake cable.
NSA RV Products (RB-9050) Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IK56P1U..._cJRpBbAHP7ACS

- Kuat NV 2.0
Kuat Racks NV 2.0 Bike Rack, Gray Metallic, 2" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G7PTNQS..._XURpBbZNR7Q03

Attachment 1

Name:	IMG_6055.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	571.4 KB
ID:	209723
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6056.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	448.1 KB
ID:	209724