Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2015, 03:37 PM   #15

I don't recommend anyone try this, but a trick to seating the bead on a stubborn tire, is to remove the valve core, spray some starting fluid inside the tire, leave a trail to a few feet back and throw a match at it. Woosh, bead seated.

I have done this a number of times, on wide, equipment tires, after watching a road service tire guy do it a few times.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2015, 07:15 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The question that keeps coming to my mind is why don't you just have a mounted spare instead of purchasing all this extra equipment for a scenario that hopefully will never happen. I have no problem changing a tire but it just seems that you are inviting a safety issue that could be easily avoidable.

Good luck with what ever direction you take.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:34 PM   #17

Nothing to it:

https://youtu.be/LHTwwmq2dmo
Old 05-13-2015, 07:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
The question that keeps coming to my mind is why don't you just have a mounted spare instead of purchasing all this extra equipment for a scenario that hopefully will never happen.
OP said he didn't want any "why would you want to do this" responses. But that's about the only kind of reasoned response there could be.

Why? As other posters have said, you're not going to have the standard equipment on board to do this - what are you trying to prove? We drove our last DP 17 years without any need to screw around with tires - give yourself a break. Focus on the stuff you CAN deal with on the road.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:49 PM   #19

Always nice to watch an artist at work.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Dear "hi-jacker," the money in tools, and the sweat in the labor, make this questionable effort at best. Carrying the necessary tools and the spare tire are problematic--unless you include the spare in some sort of rotation, its likely it wont be worth anything by the time you get around to using it. More important, the safety issues involved with changing a tire along the side of the road seal the deal for me....Cant you do?--sure, but why?.....oops, I am sorry....
No you're not
Old 05-13-2015, 08:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
The question that keeps coming to my mind is why don't you just have a mounted spare instead of purchasing all this extra equipment for a scenario that hopefully will never happen. I have no problem changing a tire but it just seems that you are inviting a safety issue that could be easily avoidable.

Good luck with what ever direction you take.
The unmounted spare just barely fits in my basement between the floor and the frame. I don't believe a mounted and inflated tire would fit.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
That is so cool to watch. Would probably take me half a day to do one tire
Old 05-13-2015, 10:58 PM   #23

It's a job best left to strong young men. Have changed many over my 40 plus years in the trucking business but now the $20 mount dismount seams cheap😎
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:10 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Negative on the tire plugs. You would need a patch...not sure, but they may be special patches for the high pressure.

Dan
Old 05-14-2015, 04:56 AM   #25

You might find this thread about torque multipliers interesting.
title was cheep and easy way to torque lug nuts.

I have added to my on board tire kit some balancing beads I use Walmart airsoft 6mm x .25 grams beads. For my tires, 12 oz in front and 14 oz for a dual rear. you could do all 6 tires for about $15.00.

I use a small bottle jack under my hitch to break the bead if 2 lb hammer does not work I think I have a total of $150. in tire tools over what I always carry. I have the same limit in basement as another poster room for a unmounted spare only.

good luck and stay safe
TJ
thunderjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:31 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
The unmounted spare just barely fits in my basement between the floor and the frame. I don't believe a mounted and inflated tire would fit.
My '94 Bounder had a very small space also but it did fit on the rim. Another option is to purchase a receiver mounted spare tire carrier. Granted if you are hauling a toad this is not an option but if you're not, then it is a great option. There may be other options out there also. We have an '01 Bounder and there is a frame type mounted spare tire carrier. They may not be the prettiest thing about the MH but they do not consume any cargo bay space.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:00 AM   #27

I'm a retired fleet mechanic who's changed many large tires by hand.

Once you remove the mounted tire from the coach, you'll need:
1. tire lube (Frylube Prima is excellent.
2. 2 large tire bars. see this link for what I used for tubeless tires: New Products : Super Duty Tubeless Truck Tire Irons
3. A tire hammer. This one: Bead Breakers : Fiberglass Handled Duck-Billed Bead Breaking Wedge
3. A bead seating aid. This one is easier to carry in a motorhome: New Products : Pneumatic Bead Expander
4. If you have aluminum rims, you'll want something like this: Aluminum Wheel Protector : Aluminum Wheel Protector
Old 05-14-2015, 07:35 AM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Tire Change Kit:
1 Onan 5500 (Original equipment on the Class A)
1: Air compressor (Sears, 10 PSI 4 gallon pancake)
2: Bottle jack 12 ton (or more) air/hydraulic jack-jack (harbor Freight).

NOTE without going out I can not tell you the precise size but it is enough to lift the entire motor home which is 12 tons plus)

One 3/4 inch air impact wrench (ok,so mine is only half inch)
Proper size socket

Though the half inch impact can do it I have to hit it with more prssure than I should...I really should get a 3/4 inch air hammer. a

Never used it all on my Rig,, Did on a friend... He had an outer flat.. We jacked it up.. Took the wheel off,, I loaded it (22.5") in his truck and off we went to the tire man.

Glad I did not have to load two of those.

(Flat it's a one man job.. a 2nd person helping would likely get hurt)

Putting the new on on was way,way easier.

he then drove the Rig to the tire man for the rest of the job.

Tags
class a