Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2015, 11:47 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballard770 View Post
Rob,

It seems that if you can't use the retread on the front axle (is it a law or?) you are leaving yourself 1/3 uncovered. How about getting a good used non-retread and then you can use it on all positions?

I carry an unmounted spare in the basement of the MH - it was one of the 7 year old tires I replaced when I bought the MH a couple of years ago. In a couple of years I will try to find a more recent used tire to carry as a spare.

I had been told by a Les Schwabe dealer that I can't mix aluminum and steel wheels but i found out otherwise. I called Monaco tech support and I was told that my rig would most likely have steel wheels on the inner duals from the factory. I checked it out and there are steel wheels on the inner duals. I even watched while the tires were replaced and I didn't notice the inner steel wheels. I think I was in shock about the ~$3,000 to replace 6 tires.

That being said I checked prices for steel vs aluminum wheels and the steel is $135 and the aluminum is ~$350+. I am going to order a steel wheel and have the tire mounted as soon as I can. If we have a flat and have a mounted spare available we should be able to get back on the road sooner.

We are using AAA RV Plus but I am considering going to Good Sam or another emergency service at the time our AAA membership expires. I do like the maps and travel info from AAA and that is one reason for staying with them. If anyone has thoughts and/or recommendations for emergency road service I would like to hear from them.

Lee
Lee,
I, for one, most certainly commend you for your attitude and commitment toward keeping yourself and, anyone traveling with you, "afloat" so-to-say, if and or when, you should have a tire problem. Your willingness to purchase, store and even think about changing, a spare tire and wheel, while on the road, is to me, outstanding.

We've all enjoyed the security of carrying spare tires and wheels on our vehicles ever since time began. But, when it comes time for carrying one on our most expensive vehicles, a MOTOR HOME, 99.99% of the diesel pushers out there are "spareless" and, while I'm no expert, I'd suspect a very large percentage of gassers, (at least the 19.5" crowd) coaches are also spareless.

The 16" boys may be outfitted with spares a whole lot more than the rest of us due simply to the smaller size and therefore, easier to store.

On another note, your statement about Les Shwabe stating that you cannot mix steel and aluminum wheels kind of perplexes me. As far as I know, about 99.99% of the factory ALLOY wheel equipped, dual rear wheeled coaches out there, are sporting ALLOYS on the outside and, steels on the inside dual. And, Les Shwabe has change and installed new tires on quite a few of those style coaches.

But, anyways, your willingness to step outside the box, and help yourself in a situation that could otherwise be very un-pleasant, in a timely manor, is very commendable.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2015, 01:25 PM   #44

I would only carry a mounted tire in the basement - I would not ever attempt to remove and replace the mounted tire myself. I am 75 but rather strong and fit but I have no interest in purchasing, carrying and using the tools needed to do an on ther road(or at home) R&R of mounted tire.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:48 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Just a small but important point for My situation. I personally would never change one of those Tires,but having the correct size Unmounted Spare will undoubtedly save Me Many Dollars if and when the occasion arises!
Old 05-16-2015, 03:51 PM   #46

I'm a DIY'er @ heart but have no advice for the OP, just a question in general.

My brother was here for a couple of days in his DP. He had had problems getting air into one of his inside rear tires. Looking under the rig we noticed the steel coming through the rubber, for about a third of the tire circumference. The thread was slick across the tire for that distance. The other side was near full thread! Just for the record, these were 22.5 Michelin X??, RV tires anyway.

At the tire shop the guy said that most likely the tire was mounted just a little off center!

Never heard of this being a problem before. Anyone seen this before?

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:12 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdossett View Post
I'm a DIY'er @ heart but have no advice for the OP, just a question in general.

My brother was here for a couple of days in his DP. He had had problems getting air into one of his inside rear tires. Looking under the rig we noticed the steel coming through the rubber, for about a third of the tire circumference. The thread was slick across the tire for that distance. The other side was near full thread! Just for the record, these were 22.5 Michelin X??, RV tires anyway.

At the tire shop the guy said that most likely the tire was mounted just a little off center!

Never heard of this being a problem before. Anyone seen this before?

H
H,
Yes, while it doesn't happen very often, it is possible to mount a 22.5" tire, just a bit off center, on the wheel. You would think that, based on the tire and wheel design, it couldn't happen but, it does. And, I'm one that it happened to. Or, I should say, we bought our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, with both front tires, 80R 255 x 22.5" Michelins mounted just a tad bit off center.

We picked up the coach in Sparks NV and, had a long trip home to San Diego. Upon entering the freeway, (brand new section of 395 that was smooth as glass) it was shaking a tad bit in the front end. Well, long story short, we found a Les Schwabe (the tires were not very old at the time and, were under Les Schwabes warranty) tire store and, called them for instructions in Carson City NV.

They told us to bring it right on in. We did so and, watched the tech remove both front tires and wheels from the coach. As he positioned one of them on the balance machine to preliminarily check for incorrect balance, he noticed it was spinning "concentrically". Hmmmm he said. Well, he stopped the tire and observed the bead, all the way around. He told me, "look at this". We both noticed the bead line was not uniform from the edge of the wheel, all the way around.

It was closer at part of the circumference than at others. So, he deflated the tire and, repositioned it on the wheel. He re-inflated it and, spun it up for balancing. Well, needless to say, it took waaaaaaaay less weight to balance it than what was removed.

So, he did the same to the other side. Imagine that, both were mounted just a tad off center. He corrected that one too. All in all, we were back on the freeway in about an hour and a half. Not bad at all. And, that included lunch. From that point on, that coach is as smooth as glass, based on the road conditions presented to it.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:58 AM   #48

Ford Super Duty Owner
FIRE UP,
Thanks for the real life story. I've never heard of that before and for sure never had a real personnel experience with, "Off-center" tires. So if the bead line was not uniform around the wheel that means that the bead was not seated against the rim?? Am I correct in that assumption?? Wouldn't bead lubrication take care of that??? That would keep the tire rubber slippery so the air pressure would force the bead all the way out against the rim. If I'm wrong I sure still don't understand how that can happen and exactly what or where this is happening.

FIRE UP You need a vacation. You're on these forums way to much these days. LOL

TeJay

Tags
class a