Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #1

Class A comparison Newmar vs Entegra

Am fairly new to the Class A Motorhomes as have been looking at 5th wheel toyhaulers but DW and I recently saw a 2016 Newmar Dutchstar and really liked the layout and features. When I started researching Newmar and saw there is another brand (Entegra) which seems to give similar layouts for better price. I also went onto the forums of both and heard that customer service for Entegra seems better as well as the insulation of the coach is far better then the Tiffin but did not see any comparisons on Newmar. So my question is does anyone know which brand is better quality from construction, reliability, etc. I know that all coaches will have some issues but is there a key difference between the two that could sway one to buy that brand. I am not so concerned about the interior decorations as both will have many features but more around construction quality, ride quality, insulation, etc. We are looking to buy in the next 2 - 4 yrs before retirement.
billyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2016, 11:54 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
We have been looking at both for a while. I don't thing you could go wrong with either. We have done both factory tours and are impressed with both.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #3

I love the quality of my used KountryStar. In trim level it wont compare to a Integra, but find a model of each you like ( eg Mountain Air and Aspire) and check price for new. Then compare for same models but 4 years old. I think Newmars hold their value better.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:10 PM   #4

We had excellent experience with our Newmar during our full-timing. We though it was insulated very well. Newmar is wall hung so no delamination issues. Take a tour of each if you can and decide for yourself. Newmar also has some short videos on their site of their build process. Newmar is a small company that's been in business for a long time. The build custom coaches. They don't mass-produce.

If you're not ready to buy for another 2-4 years when you DO decide, pick out a couple models of this year's builds that you like and make note. Then when you're ready to buy search for those models in a used. A 2-4 year old used will save you a LOT of money. Good luck finding the one just for you!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:24 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
comparison

I also recently looked at both brands - Entegra and Newmar. The Entegra was the coach that initially made us decide to get a new(er) coach, they are a very very nice motorhome and apparently pretty well built. The Aspire is nice but does not have all the niceties - The Anthem was what initially captivated us. We liked the 42 DEQ - but after doing much much homework and looking we went with a Newmar Dutch Star and could not be happier - the reason, well even though Entegra makes a very nice well built coach - their floor plans are extremely limited. We found what we really liked as a floor plan in a Dutch Star. Even though it doesn't have everything an Entegra has - it has some things Entegra does not. Some of the most important things to me were independent front suspension, both Dutch Star and the Anthem series have that. Newmar also has Comfort Steer which is a nice addition. In our opinion - both coaches are very well constructed and seem do well - but floor plan was most important given everything else was somewhat equal.

Just a little added info I found out recently ( after purchasing our Dutch Star) - Entegra ( Jayco ) was just purchased by Thor - in my opinion a much lesser quality manufacturer - I would guess at some point that will impact the quality of Entegra.
madmaxx52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:48 PM   #6

Thank you all for the replies and useful info for sure. Am going to Hershey show and hope to see more models and help narrow down the field
Old 08-18-2016, 09:07 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO you should go with whichever model suits you the best. Either manufacturer will have good and not so good units. Each is produced on an assembly line from in-house and 3 party manufacturers.

Based on complaints on the threads it appears to me that all manufacturers have about the same failure rate per 100 units produced.

Posts about quality are anecdotal from each poster and must be taken in that context. Your opinion is the only one that will matter after you plunk your cash down and sign on the dotted line.

Features and floorplan are the things that really matter. It seems to me that more people change because they are not happy with the floorplan than for reasons of bad service or product.

Tags
class a, comparison, entegra, newmar