Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2015, 09:18 PM   #1

Class A Cover

Hi RV Campers - I am very new to this - just picked up my first RV this past weekend. It was kept in a barn for 13 years and I still have not found a place to park that is covered.

So i am considering to buy a cover to protect it while it sits in the hot sun.

I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the ebst cover for the best value - please add link if possible?
2. How do you place that cover on the RV without breaking your neck fallllling off?

Thanks

I am a gear head at heart so i know I will many more questions needing your experienced help.
Richard

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2015, 09:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonrw View Post
Hi RV Campers - I am very new to this - just picked up my first RV this past weekend. It was kept in a barn for 13 years and I still have not found a place to park that is covered.

So i am considering to buy a cover to protect it while it sits in the hot sun.

I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the ebst cover for the best value - please add link if possible?
2. How do you place that cover on the RV without breaking your neck fallllling off?

Thanks

I am a gear head at heart so i know I will many more questions needing your experienced help.
Richard

Check here: Are MH Covers Worth The Cost Or Effective?

Old 06-03-2015, 10:42 PM   #3

thank you
Old 06-04-2015, 06:55 PM   #4

In the late 1980s I bought a used Vogue motorhome and also bought a cover for it. I used the cover several times but it was a job to get it to the roof, spread it out and tied down. Seems like often I'd say we are going to be using the motorhome next week or the following week so Ill leave it off. After a year or so I gave the cover to my son and to my knowledge he never used it on his RV. I'd think it OK for longer storage but if you have to put it on and take it off every couple of weeks it'll get old real soon. When off it is a bundle to store.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:18 PM   #5

Save your money ! far more work that any tangible worth. Not to mention not the brightest idea to climb up there to install and remove it. IMHO
Old 06-05-2015, 05:10 AM   #6

I have had two covers. One on a 32 Ft class A and one on a 25 ft Sprinter Class C. The one for the small Class C was made of sunbrella and will last as long as ten years but as heavy as the larger Adco cover bought at CW. They worked well but a pain to put on. I always did it myself, it would be much easier with 2 people. If you are going to store for months at a time, they make a lot of sense.

You need to find the front of the cover and climb the ladder pulling it with you and pull it upon to the front of the coach. As said, they are heavy and I would pull mine up still folded width wise. You then start at the front unfolding it and dropping it over the sides. The first time is the hardest as you have to get it level all of the way around. A tip is to mark the out line of the roof once you have it centered all of the way around. You cannot see from the ground and it makes it much easier to install from then on.

It has a lot of ties, that tie the bottom of the cover underneath the coach to each side to be able to pull it tight. The easiest way to get these lines under the coach is to tie something to the end of the line and throw it under the coach to the other side. I just justed a wrench I had in my tool bag, like a 9/16 open end. You then pull it tight and tie it down so the cover does not move back and forth across you paint in the wind as it can cause wear. Mine did cover most of the tires and keep them much cooler than a tire cover. I had a factory tire rep tell me some tire covers cause more damage than UV as they trap heat around the tires causing the tire to weaken prematurely.

I had it where it took about 30 mins and I found it worth it as it protects the roof and the AC and vent plastic covers and will prevent leaks as well as the gel coat or paint as well as keeping UV light out of the coach. It addition, good if you accidentally left a window or hatch open. Another thing it does, it keeps flying bugs from using your AC's as housing areas. I recently had a bad leak as i turned on my AC's to cool down my coach overnight and next day found my new bed soaking wet. A wasp nest had been built right into the track of the AC drain causing it to overflow inside of the coach right down on the bed. I found nests in the other AC as well. The cover would have prevented that.

Just be careful as you do have to climb on the roof to install and you will be walking on the cover as you spread it over the coach.

One last tip, if you are buying a generic cover. They come in sizes like 32-34 ft, 34-36 ft etc. If you are on the border line, (i.e. 34 ft) buy the next larger size as the more protrusions you have on the top of your coach (sat dish ect), the tighter it is going to fit. My 30 to 32 would not fit my 32 and I had to return for a 32 to 34 after spending an hour trying to install it, plus had to spend 3 hours taking it back to CW and you will never get it back into the box it comes in
Old 06-05-2015, 10:06 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
For the 9 years we had our motorhome I kept if covered to protect it from the sun. I tried both Adco covers and Classic Polypro covers. All covers I tried had Tyvec material for the roof. In my experience, the Adco covers had the shortest life because the grey material in the sides rotted from sun exposure and would tear away from the Tyvec roof. I never had an Adco cover last more than a year.

To install the cover I tied a rope around the bundle and tossed the loose end of the rope over the rv. I climbed up on the roof and pulled the cover up after me, then I unrolled the cover on the rv. I used tennis balls and pipe insulation to cover projections. To remove the cover I undid the tie downs and simply pulled the cover off over the front of the rv. I spread the cover out on the ground and folded it up. I don't use a cover on our current rv because it sits in covered parking.

Tags
class a