Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2015, 12:20 PM   #1

Class A Crash

Near my home is a towing outfit and going by on our way to the store we seen a new or fairly new American Eagle with driver side smashed in. Today, going past it again, I stopped to look at it. Some folks were there unloading the compartments. I asked if anyone got killed, and the fellow said they are ok. He told me the front driver side tire blew out and they clipped a overpast abutment, he must have been in the passing lane and it sucked him over into it. It resulted in a smashed front end and the whole drivers side was ripped open from stem to stern, terrible mess, a totalled motor home.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #2

Glad no one was hurt.. but "fairly new" and "blown out tire" doesn't really mesh. He must have ran over something big.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:05 PM   #3

Wow, glad no one was hurt seriously.
I wish there were some way to get more information on these tire blowout incidences. Things like; did he have TPMS, did the coach strike something in the road, how fast was the coach going, did the coach have a steering stabilizer, Tyron rings, age of tires, etc.
I know most of,these things are not part of a accident investigation but it would still be nice to know. Just wishing.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:07 PM   #4

Here we go with another one. He was speeding, tire under inflated, cracks in sidewalls, tire over inflated, no steering stabilizer, etc, etc.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:12 PM   #5

Sam, where is the coach? We have a lot of friends in American Coachs. Just curious as to what state. Thanks
Old 07-07-2015, 01:17 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Sam, where is the coach? We have a lot of friends in American Coachs. Just curious as to what state. Thanks
Sam's profile says PA.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:22 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Sam's home is in W. Pa
Click on avatar - then "about me" for someone's location and RV
Old 07-07-2015, 03:31 PM   #8

Crash

The motorhome right at the present, is at Turley's towing, Rt 19 about 5 miles North of Cranberry Twp, Pa. The accident happened on the Pennyslvania Turnpike.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd157k View Post
Glad no one was hurt.. but "fairly new" and "blown out tire" doesn't really mesh. He must have ran over something big.

Actually it does..

First the chassis,tires and all,may have sat for a very damaging year or more in the body builder's lot before the body was put on..Tires need to go rolling,rolling,rolling,Keep those tires rolling,Keep their juices flowing,R V. (yes you can sing that if you are old enough).

Second as I tell folks there are 3 tire pressures all but guaranteed to be WRONG for your tires.

1: Molded in the sidewall (Maximum load of ##### pounds at a maximum pressure of ### PSI) That PSI is only proper if you are running at maximum load.

2: Whatever is written on the sticker in the Motor home.. They have NO IDEA how you are going to load it and thus no idea of how much load will be on the tire

3:Whatever the tire store put in (See 2).

So if you are running 80 PSI in a tire that really needs 115.. They not going to last long.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:53 PM   #10

530ktm. No inferences were made. I have a absolutly no idea of the circumstances involved but those items mentioned are things I would like to know. Not to judge but rather to prepare and perhaps feel more comfortable with the steps I have already taken taken.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:00 AM   #11

Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Actually it does..

First the chassis,tires and all,may have sat for a very damaging year or more in the body builder's lot before the body was put on..Tires need to go rolling,rolling,rolling,Keep those tires rolling,Keep their juices flowing,R V. (yes you can sing that if you are old enough).

Second as I tell folks there are 3 tire pressures all but guaranteed to be WRONG for your tires.

1: Molded in the sidewall (Maximum load of ##### pounds at a maximum pressure of ### PSI) That PSI is only proper if you are running at maximum load.

2: Whatever is written on the sticker in the Motor home.. They have NO IDEA how you are going to load it and thus no idea of how much load will be on the tire

So if you are running 80 PSI in a tire that really needs 115.. They not going to last long.
Your right, I agree, if I go by that way today, I will stop and see what the date is on the opposite front tire, I know it is Goodyear tires on the front.
But I don't want to make this a tire debate but we have had 5" of rain above normal in June and July, and if that motorhome went off the paved shoulder in the fast lane, it had to have been pulled off into the grass and dirt down into the overpass. If he was in the slow lane he might have been able to get it under control. Lot of if's but it is a shame it happened and I am glad they were not killed, I am sure they might have sustained some injuries. I've never seen a motorhome wreaked and damaged like that. ps, When I said "fairly new" it was newer than mine, because the front window was one piece, I don't know when that brand of coach started putting that type of window in the front, it sure was a nice looking coach.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:31 AM   #12

Take a pressure gauge with you and run a test on remaining tires. let us know what you learn.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:16 AM   #13

coach crash

Well, here is the lastest. I stopped at the towing outfit and the folks who owned the MH was having usa restoration clear their thing out of the MH. He told me they were on the Pa turnpike in a contruction zone where your funneled between concrete barriers. He was in the fast lane, I know for myself that they want buses and trucks to use the slow lane, anyway, the driver hit the barrier, tire blew out and he lost control and hit a bridge abutment. He only sustained a cut above right eye. It was a 2005 Fleetwood American eagle with Mich. license plate, the other front tire had a date of 2810.
I hate those "cattle shoots" the Pike puts up, they are constantly under contruction, make a 4 lane highway into 6 and putting in new bridges, oh, paper said the tolls are rising again!
Old 07-08-2015, 01:01 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Smile always weigh coach first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Actually it does..

Excellent and I agree 100 percent with you on this. I am in the process of getting new tires for my New to me Hurricane. as soon as they are installed I will go to a cat scale and weigh my Motor Home. each axle and each side. Using a Load Inflation chart I will adjust tire pressure accordingly. The Manufacture of my motor home says 80 Lbs Psi But the tires I am getting have a 16 ply rating and a higher load range with a minimun of 80 Lbs Psi. I will probably end up with 90 or 95 Lbs Psi but won't know until I weigh the coach.
Mel

Closed Thread

Tags
class a