Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2016, 01:09 PM   #1

Class A Delamination, How Pros Fix it.

We have some delamination on our Winnebago from leaks. Spoke to our insurance guy who filed a claim for us. Adjuster came by and told me to take to the local RV dealer/repair center for an estimate. Spoke with the service manager and experienced tech at length while they took a look at the problem, here's what they said ..

https://youtu.be/hC-8MXmieFY
MattTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Please keep us posted on how this turns out, I have a little delam but I don't think my insurance will cover it.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:29 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
When looking for a DP a couple of years ago we made a tentative deal on a Monico located across the country from us. I had it inspected and that identified a small area of delamination.

I talked to the Monico folks about it and they said that the only way to repair it properly was to replace the side wall. Their estimate was somewhere in the $20k range to replace the wall and repaint. Needless to say, I backed out of that deal and kept looking until I found our current Newmar coach.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:39 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
$17000 side wall

I had a damaged sidewall on a 5th wheel back about 5 years ago. They replaced a section like you show in your video, and did some replacement of items inside the sidewall. It cost the insurance company $17,000 for the repairs. they would not total it. It looked like new when finished, but it was tied up for almost 6 months.
Mel_B
Old 06-08-2016, 10:30 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I helped a friend fix his 5th wheel about 3-4 years ago. He had an area about 1' x 3' that had delamed. We pulled the edge trim off, dried it out completely and masked everything carefully. We then injected the repair resin he bought and used thin flat boards to work the stuff in as much as possible. We put a piece of 1/2" plywood against the side and then braced it with 2x4's against his shed. Let it sit for a day and put it all together. Still looks like new with no visible signs. He also religiously checks all caulking and seams!
Old 06-08-2016, 11:35 AM   #6

At least the people posted about are all doing a repair the right way, even though expensive.
I looked at a FRED at a local dealer last year with delam. under the passenger window.
Last time I saw it, they had glued on a thin piece of plywood with a trim strip on top, under the window and it was all done.
They also got it sold some time after I last saw it.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:55 PM   #7

Hello Everyone,

Received a call from the adjuster today. The estimate for the work is a little more than $10,000 from the local shop. I asked him to hold off on cutting the check until we return from GNR at the factory.

The majority of the estimated cost is for 61 hours of labor at $125 an hour.

The 2016 Sightseer 35G is suddenly very interesting... and shiny
Old 06-24-2016, 05:21 AM   #8

Here is an update on our class A delamination repair, it's contained in this update video on our YouTube channel. Believe it or not, our insurance is going to cover the entire cost!! Yippee!!!

https://youtu.be/J3mE9pDT2gQ

Tags
class a