Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
Class A diesel 2007 extremely low miles - Maint concerns

I have just purchased a 2007 HR Ambassador with less than 7000 miles. It was a repossesion and it appears to me that the owners could not pay for the rig and they couldn't afford to drive it. The unit appears almost unused inside and out. I had it checked out at a large truck company, a large tire shop and at an RV repair shop. The tech who inspected the chassis/engine, etc found nothing requiring repair - it also included checking for code excedance and taking an oil sample and sending it to a lab for analysis (lab indicated no anomalies such as coolant in the oil). The mgr at the tire shop inspected all 6 tires thuroughly and found no checking or cracking. The RV repair shop checked all systems, gas, elect etc and found two items: weak house batteries (I expected that) and the fiberglass roof needed cleaning and resealing of all the seams. etc.

My concerns are
  • lube and filter requirement, particularly the fuel filters, lubrication and fluid changes.
  • Tires - I expect to replace within a year
  • coach - I plan to replace batteries after trying the rig to see how they actually work. Additionally I think I will do the resealing of seams/fittings on the fiberglass roof - $1500 estimate.
I have been an RVer for many years -5Wheel w/diesel Ford but this is my first motorhome so even though it is similiar it is different enough to ask for assistance. I would appreciate comments, particularly the order of taking care of lube/maint concerns.

ballard770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
Congratulations on your new ride. Sounds like you did a thorough "due diligence" with your coach purchase. Your objective of bringing the coach up to a baseline on required service is a good plan. I put together this service schedule for a friend some time ago and it might give you some help. You can do many of these jobs yourself if you're so inclined:

Complete base line service for Cummins diesel motorhome:

Engine: filters to be Fleetguard
1. Oil/filter
2. Fuel filters (2)
3. Coolant filter if equipped and test/ adjust SCA level if standard coolant. Change coolant @ 5 years. Add extender at 3 years if OAT type coolant.
4. Air filter if over 3 years old. Inspect plumbing between filter and turbo inlet for evidence of dust. Inspect CAC plumbing.
5. Inspect hoses & belts.

Transmission: filters to be Allison high capacity.
1. Change filters @ 36 months & top up.
2. Change fluid @ 48 months or test sample.
Always use TES295 fluid as approved by Allison.

1. Complete lube including lifting front axle from ends to unload king pins.
2. Including 3 zerks on steering column and one zerk on steering box.
3. Change Hydraulic filter & top up.
4. Change air dryer cartridge @ 2-3 years.
5. Grease front wheel bearings 3-5 years or change to oil hubs & inspect.
6. Change differential gear oil @ 3-5 years.
7. Inspect brake surfaces.
8. Inspect oil level tag axle hubs.

1. Oil/ filter
2. Fuel filter
3. Air filter
4. Perform valve lash, belt/ hose replacement and generator unit service before 2000 hours. Replace thermostat @ that time.
5. Coolant replace @ 3 years.

1. Replace fuel filter
2. Replace burner nozzle
3. Exercise tempering valve.
4. Inspect coolant level at top of AquaHot unit and at expansion tank.

Inspect and clean all battery terminals.

Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your choice but with 6 year old tires that have sat for a long time, I'd be replacing them now regardless of how good they 'look.'

I'd also plan to have the air dryer serviced...new dessicant cannister. Lube the chassis, check the coolant with test strip (if it is original coolant, at 6 years it is due for a change). We just bought a 6 year old rig with 32K miles and I also had the shop change the differential fluid and do a full tranny service....filters and new Transynd fluid.

For a used DP, expect to drop about $2,000 to get all the stuff done and that does not include tires.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #4

With the age and low miles, sludge in the oil pan would be a major concern, either a hot flush or a short interval ; 1,000 mile ; oil & filter change ; hot ; is in order. Have the coolant tested, could be breaking down, trans fluid too. Fuel , add algaecide to the tank and be ready to change filters, a couple of times in the first 5,000 miles.
Even if the tires look good, if they're over dated , don't trust them on a long trip.
Belts and hoses, if your not changing the belts, make sure you have spares or at least the numbers you need to find replacements when required.
Was the gen set , tested and serviced ? Any hours on it ? Rust is the big killer of the generator internal components .
EDIT: I see a couple of members type faster that I do.
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
Congratulations on your upgrade. I agree with Steve that it seems like you went through your purchase very carefully and deliberate. I can't answer to the diesel work as we have not taken that step yet but I wanted to recommend a product for your roof seams. I would suggest looking into a product called eternabond. Is is what they call a micro molecular bonding tape in various widths that is good for 10-15 years. Easy to use if directions are followed. I used it to re-seam our rubber roof and was extremely impressed with it. A 4"x50' roll can be bought for about $90 with careful shopping. Best wishes for many enjoyable years in your new rig.
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
Need to inspect back of radiator for clogged gunk, I took mine to Cummins to service for 2 week trip and after I got back checked radiator. It was clogged bad---Cummins tech hadn't even looked at it! Don't trust'em is all I can say.

David and Sue
HR 01 Endeavor 38BPD
72 Bronco Pickup
HRDavid is offline   Reply With Quote

class a, diesel