Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2016, 07:16 AM   #43

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
So there you have it. I left out a lot but this pretty much sums it up in a nut shell. We both really want a DP, but after careful consideration of all the above we think a gasser is the best way to go for us.

There was one quote that one of the senior posters said here a few days ago that really helped us over the hump. He said, "if you travel a lot and camp a little get a diesel...if you travel a little and camp a lot get a gasser. I think the later is more us even if we go FT.
Thanks everyone for your input.
great response by the OP !! I wish you great luck in your search and would highly recommend NIRV in Dallas as a fairly close highly reputable dealer, also you have PPL in Houston that you could look at a wide variety of floor plans and manufacturer's.
I tend to agree with Computerguy and Mike. I never really have cared to buy someone else's vehicle. I like new and I like new gadgets. A 2002 will have a lot of very old electronic and power management systems, even batteries have come along way in the last 3-5 years. one of the biggest factors in my Bounder was the electronics and EMS, plus I love our living room layout with the Mid-ship TV

I wish you fun in looking and
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2016, 08:05 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Marjoa...... A couple of points you may have considered but did not mention:
1) do not be intimidated by the idea of buying an older DP. Coupled with the possibility of full time usage, these factors should lead you to shop only for coaches from builders with a well established reputation for integrity, high quality, and longevity measured in decades. Then move your target age back until it meets your price point. The simple truth is that quality lasts, and will stand up to daily use; mediocrity will do neither.
2) Size: if you're intending to live in this coach, buy something bigger than you think you need. The idea of "too big" will only last for a month or so; "too small" will last forever.
Many will tell you that floor plan is paramount. I disagree. For full timing, square footage is the key. The perfect floor plan is a worthy but vague goal. As long as the floor plan is reasonable, the breathing room of three slides instead of one will smooth over those imperfections.
3) Test drive both gas and diesel candidates at highway speeds with traffic, and hopefully on a somewhat windy day. This will show what you're dealing with.

Good Luck!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
I hear ya. But remember how I described our budget and what we could afford? It would mean buying a 2002 - 2005 or so DP. And even if we found & bought a real nice built coach like a Newell, American coach or a Monaco in our budget range, we would still be facing this one same scenario. At the end of our quest in approx. 2027 we'd have an approx. 20 - 25 year old coach. So in 2027 what is realistic what you could sell that for...really? Not much even if you could find a buyer. Not to mention the money we would of put into it all those years to keep it going. That's what really worries me. All the other advantages of a DP are a given. But what about this one factor I just mentioned? And just to reiterate what one poster said, if I had the money, yeah of course, I'd just go buy a very late model DP where someone took the depreciation hit, save many thousands of dollars and not worry about all this other stuff. But that's not our case.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:13 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Find the floor plan and length that fits your needs and wants within your budget. The fuel option is decided.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:19 AM   #46

Diesel or Gas?

We have been looking at motorhomes for a long time but can't decide whether to go for an older diesel or a newer gas engine. I know diesel is more comfortable to drive, more powerful, and will last much longer, but also will be more costly for everything. We also love the floor plan of the Fleetwood Storm 32H, but worried after reading Fleetwood reviews. Any input about diesel vs. gas, or the Fleetwood Storm, would be very helpful. We plan to be full-timers and to travel a lot. Thank you!
carolmc010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:29 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolmc010 View Post
We plan to be full-timers and to travel a lot. Thank you!
I'm not as up to speed with class A coaches as I am trailers but most trailers at the lower price points aren't rated for full time use. This could void a warranty if the manufacturer ever caught wind of how you are using it (unlikely I suppose). But it's more an indication of how well (or not) the unit is made and how it will stand up to daily use.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:58 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
A couple of points since you checked back in.

When we bought 2000 in 2010 I was concerned about its age. Wiring in particular as vehicles over 10yo tend to get odd electrical gremlins. To this day the wiring looks and functions like new. In fact, the MH ages more like a house than a vehicle. Would you have qualms about buying a 10-15 yo house? May be a redecoration and the house looks new. A high end MH with good foundation will stay nice.

The other point is about residual value. Making a decision about the residual value of a MH 10 years from now is unknowable. Any used MH is worth what people will pay for it, regardless of how you amortize it. There also appears to be a floor, below which, quality diesel MH's don't seem to go.

I hope the point and counter points been useful, this discussion has been more civil than most.

Enjoy!
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:26 PM   #49
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis

Thanks to all of the posters. I have read this, and other threads on the topic. Yes, there are some staunch opinions. Some are because "I said so!" type opinions. But there are also many excellent reasons for both sides.

Our class A purchase for potential full-time is a few years off yet, but these insights and comments are very, very helpful. At first, we didn't know what we didn't know. Small comments, like the gasoline powered generator to run the A/C at night is located under the bed in a gas-powered rig, are very helpful. That would be very annoying to find out the hard way.

Thanks to all!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:31 PM   #50

Just some things to think about and investigate thoroughly before deciding on the Holiday Rambler Vacationer for full-time living.....

First, you stated your accountant said the motorhome and all its expenses will be a total 100% write-off since you will be working from it. You'd better get another opinion. I believe you have to have a dedicated office for it to be a write-off. This will also be a big red flag for the IRS.

The XE 32a has a very long rear overhang. It will be unstable on the highway and you could have difficulty with the wide tail swing.

It also has small holding tanks.

Also, does it have dual pane windows? I didn't look long but I had a hard time finding the construction details. Full-timing puts a lot of wear and tear on a RV. There's a lot of glitz upfront but check out the drawer construction for one thing. Are the cabinets solid wood?

You might also investigate some owner forums. Here is one and some of the problems should be a concern.

New Holiday Rambler - nothing but problems
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:52 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
There are more than one of us reporting the Cummins dropped valves in ISX's in the Cummins forum here, as well as other sites outside IRV. Takes some digging to find them but they are out there.
Cummins didn't do their R&D well enough. The engine was originally designed as a million mile 400-450 HP engine, then they got in a HP/torque race with Volvo so they pushed it too far.
OK you have our attention. Like I said in my OP, we wanted a DP from the beginning but because of what I listed we felt a new gas would serve us better. But with that being said and your comment about the above Cummins engine, what about the Cummins ISC history? What actually have found a beautiful 2002 Monaco MH with a Cummins ISC engine (not sure what the HP is (haven't gotten into all the details yet) but what is your opinion of that engine?
Old 09-10-2016, 08:07 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Just some things to think about and investigate thoroughly before deciding on the Holiday Rambler Vacationer for full-time living.....

First, you stated your accountant said the motorhome and all its expenses will be a total 100% write-off since you will be working from it. You'd better get another opinion. I believe you have to have a dedicated office for it to be a write-off. This will also be a big red flag for the IRS.

The XE 32a has a very long rear overhang. It will be unstable on the highway and you could have difficulty with the wide tail swing.

It also has small holding tanks.

Also, does it have dual pane windows? I didn't look long but I had a hard time finding the construction details. Full-timing puts a lot of wear and tear on a RV. There's a lot of glitz upfront but check out the drawer construction for one thing. Are the cabinets solid wood?

You might also investigate some owner forums. Here is one and some of the problems should be a concern.

New Holiday Rambler - nothing but problems
Another great response and just a side note, we haven't totally made up our mind yet....yes we're still waffling". But you raise some good questions:
Q) The IRS thing. Yes it will be a total 100% right off because of these reasons:
1) A FT RV MH under the law is considered a "home"
2) It will have an office
3) Since I'm a professional photographer (for 27 yrs) and going to location to location to acquire images this is part of doing business
4) I have a long time friend in the business who has been doing this in his MH for the last 20 years and has never been questioned by the IRS
5) I also thought maybe this would be a red flag too, but since it would be our "home" and is necessary to travel to conduct business, then no it wouldn't raise and red flags.
6) Would have to keep detailed logs of where we go, maintenance etc. JIC I was questioned by the IRS

Stability - yes I've read a lot about this too and would be adding some after market items to address this more than likely

Cabinets are solid wood.

The holding tanks are big enough for us.

Yes it has the flat Dual Glaze windows.

I did join the Holiday Rambler forum but most of them all have older MH's and most of my questions wouldn't even apply but I still learn a lot there.

We haven't totally dismissed a good used DP. It's still in the running. One main reason that I'm still battling with this is, since I am a photographer/videographer I have a lot of gear, so storing and carrying this stuff is another thing I'm really having to think through too in addition to office space to conduct business. My wife & I are doing our best to weigh all that we can and are able to process. I don't think I've researched or studied anything so thoroughly in my life as this. There's just so much to consider but I do feel confident that once we make our decision, it will be one that was fully thought out and we'll both be in agreement with.

Thanks for your time to post your thoughts for us to consider.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:38 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post

The other point is about residual value. Making a decision about the residual value of a MH 10 years from now is unknowable. Any used MH is worth what people will pay for it, regardless of how you amortize it. There also appears to be a floor, below which, quality diesel MH's don't seem to go.

Enjoy!
Excellent point! We purchased a used, one owner, coach, at the time of our purchase it was 14 years. The owners has full timed for 13 years, and it was IMMACULATE! They had it on the market for almost 7 months, and NO ONE would come and look at it once they explained that they had lived in it full time for 13 years!

Extremely well maintained, excellent records, numerous upgrades etc. This coach, even 10 years from now (as in it will then be 25 years old) if properly maintained, will STILL have residual value as a fully functional, extremely comfortable coach!

We've owned now for 18 months, and only a few repairs required (under $500.00 total). Routine maintenance has been performed, oil changes, filters, belts etc.

Excellent, well maintained, older coaches are out there. We lucked out. I would HIGHLY recommend you have independent inspections of the chassis, and of the coach prior to purchase. Even if you are "familiar" with coaches. Money well spent, may mean you pass on the coach, but at very least, will tell you if you need to spend money on specific items you didn't note, and may help you to negotiate a price adjustment for items found. Worst case, you spend $ for inspections and find nothing wrong! But actually, even in that case you have purchased peace of mind!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:53 AM   #54

Examine some gas stations and ask yourself if you want to take your gasser and toad into one to fuel up. Then look at truck stops and see if that is a better idea to fuel up your Diesel.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:14 AM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
I'm not as up to speed with class A coaches as I am trailers but most trailers at the lower price points aren't rated for full time use. This could void a warranty if the manufacturer ever caught wind of how you are using it (unlikely I suppose). But it's more an indication of how well (or not) the unit is made and how it will stand up to daily use.
I think if you look in the fine print there will not be many motor homes rated for "full time use" if any.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:53 AM   #56

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
What actually have found a beautiful 2002 Monaco MH with a Cummins ISC engine (not sure what the HP is (haven't gotten into all the details yet) but what is your opinion of that engine?
Cant go wrong with a pre DPF/DEF ISC. I love mine.

Tags
class a, diesel, gas