Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #1

Class A Diesel Performance on Grades

I'm looking at mid to late 90's diesel coaches and would like to know if the Cummins, CAT or Detroit engines which range between 275-350 HP have decent power to pull 6% or better grades pulling a 3000# toad. I'm asking those who have had experience with this combination to please share their comments.

My wife who was an over the road trucker for 25 years says we should be looking for no less than 400 HP, but pulling a 53 ft trailer weighing 80,000 # is different than a motorhome.

It seems that the majority of coaches I have looked at are in the 275-350 range.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #2

Best description I've seen , and one that I agree with is.
At least 1 HP per 100lbs of total weight.
With torque of 3X that of HP.
With peak torque and peak HP within 1000RPM of one and other
Example MH with toad 30,000lbs
Engine HP 300, torque 900ftlbs.
Peak torque 1400 RPM peak HP 2400.
My coach fits this profile and I'm happy.
Could use more power at times , but as is I'm able to pass loaded semis when climbing hills.
MH, HP race didn't really get going till the 2000's and the fuel economy suffered, I have gotten 9+mpg on trips for the last 3 years, the 400+ HP MHs most times are reporting 7>7.5.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Well, my 350 Cummins hauls 32,000 pounds up a hill fast enough to pass the 80,000 pound trucks. I wouldn't say you absolutely have to have 400HP at a minimum
Old 06-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
In the NW we have several long....steep grades ie, Big Sandy, Lewiston Grade, Vantage Grade along with several mountain passes. I usually pull a boat making our total weight about 31,000 lbs. Seems most grades run between 5-6%. The 330 Cat does a great job, but the 6 sp Allison transmission gets all the credit. I usually manually adjust the gears from 6 down to 4 based on 1500 RPM being where I do the down shift. I've never had to go below 4th gear. My MPH is 45 at that point. As the RPM's increase over 1500 I take it to the next gear. On long grades there's points where the grade decreases which allows me to shift up and when the grade increases I down shift again. The engine stays cool and I'm not over powering the drive train. I'm very happy with the torque of the 330 Cat.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I have owned 2 coaches with the 275 h.p. Cummins and was extremely frustrated with the performance on grades with both of them. I now have a 350 h.p. Cummins rated at somewhere over 1,000 lbs of torque and I'm a happy camper. The fuel mileage overall is about the same (unless I was driving for long stretches on level highway with no headwind - then the 275 h.p. got better mileage than the current 350 gets). My suggestion would be to look for a coach with a minimum of 300 h.p. and 900 lbs of torque. The brand shouldn't make that much difference (IMHO).
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #6

Thanks for the quick replies, this is giving me something to work with. It's not like I'm looking for a 60 MPH jaunt up a grade, but 20 MPH would be ridiculous.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #7

X2 to Skip426. Similar set-up, same engine, similar results.

WM
Old 06-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by datedd View Post
I'm looking at mid to late 90's diesel coaches and would like to know if the Cummins, CAT or Detroit engines which range between 275-350 HP have decent power to pull 6% or better grades pulling a 3000# toad. I'm asking those who have had experience with this combination to please share their comments.

My wife who was an over the road trucker for 25 years says we should be looking for no less than 400 HP, but pulling a 53 ft trailer weighing 80,000 # is different than a motorhome.

It seems that the majority of coaches I have looked at are in the 275-350 range.

Thanks!
Well I am going to go against the masses and say I side with the wife, 400 HP is the least I would want but then again I think at times what I have now is under powered When you hit Loveland or Vail or Wolf Creek Pass not to mention Monteagle or The Grapevine you will want twice whatever you have . But I am a Hot Rodder at heart and you can never have too much HP or Money............
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #9

I too agree with the wife ,and Huck above. And I would realy like an ISX. But for us when shopping it was a minimum of an ISL 400 hp which is what we ended up with and are happy with. Get the 400 if budget allows, and you and the wife will both be happy. Good luck shopping.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had a 280 Cummings and it could be frustrating in a 36 ft MH. Now have a 350 CAT in a 40 ft and haven't had any problems with grades here in the So East USA. Can tell a difference between the two engines. Not in a hurry, don't care if I can pass or not, just don't want to be the reason that backs traffic up behind me for miles. Safe Travels ed
Old 06-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #11

On a 10 mile 6% grade, I crest it at about 45mph.
If the rig next to me crests it at 55, he will be a couple minutes ahead of me.

If his flat road speed is 70 and mine is 60, and he Wal-docks after 12 hours and I go to camp after 300 miles to have a campfire, a fine meal, family time, a great nights sleep, who wins?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi dated,
I'm weighing in at 37K pounds, coach and toad. The engine is a Cummins ISC 330 HP and 950 ft lbs of torque. On long grades, momentum is everything. Because of traffic, I usually loose the momentum. The ISC will not retrieve the lost momentum. Patience is required. I go back and forth across the Smoky Mountains (I40) quite a bit. If there is no traffic, I can zip along at 45-50 MPH. However, what usually happens, I am in the truck lane putzing up the hill at whatever speed the lead truck is going.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #13
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wife, Huck, Becks, I agree. Even with 400 hp I have it upped to close to 500. The Grapevine or Donnor summit are tough hills. What would be nice is a couple more gears but 6 is enough. I get excellent mileage and acceleration from a stop is surprising. My FIL used a 350 for years and was very happy with it but his rock truck had 18 gears.

In any case, if the wife ain't happy, no one is happy. She has the experience and will be doing a lot of the driving I suspect. Let her smile. If you get a rear radiator 400 ISL I can show you how to get more power and better mileage and put a smile on her face.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by datedd View Post

Thanks!
Man I wish my wife would try and talk me into having more power! Lol if she says so with all her experience then just get one with more power....