Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #1

Class A discounts

I am looking at a 2013 Fleetwood Discovery and was wondering what kind of discounts other people are seeing. So far the place I am dealing with is going retail for their's and wholesale for mine!! How do I get them get on the same page I am on?

Thank's Brad
phatdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #2

Quote:
How do I get them get on the same page I am on?
I have not been in the market for a few years so do not know for sure what discounts are common, but a lot of people claim 25% - 35% off MSRP. Remember that MSRP for an rv does not necessarily come from the manufacturer - many times dealers make their own. Once you find the price you are willing to pay, offer less than your maximum and negotiate up until you reach your maximum price.

If the dealer will not agree to the price you want to pay, leave and go elsewhere. If you later find you cannot buy from anyone for the price you think is right, you can always readjust your thinking and start negotiating again.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
I have not been in the market for a few years so do not know for sure what discounts are common, but a lot of people claim 25% - 35% off MSRP. Remember that MSRP for an rv does not necessarily come from the manufacturer - many times dealers make their own. Once you find the price you are willing to pay, offer less than your maximum and negotiate up until you reach your maximum price.

If the dealer will not agree to the price you want to pay, leave and go elsewhere. If you later find you cannot buy from anyone for the price you think is right, you can always readjust your thinking and start negotiating again.
I agree! Go online, there re so many dealers to negotiate with. This will at least give you a bargaining point! IMO shop Lazy Days, Sefner Fl. LaMesa rv, Sanford or Tuscon AZ . They deal! Good luck!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #4

Thank's guys, I will try that in morning. I like the dealer because they are the closest dealer. If I buy a coach 900-1000miles away, what do I do for service? will they still service me or put me on the bottom of their list?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:39 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
When I worked at an RV dealership they would try and get a trade in as close to free as they could..... That's only good business for the dealer but not so much for you as a buyer. Always try and work a deal without a trade, then after the price is set bring up the subject of your trade. Personally I wouldn't buy new, let someone else take the depreciation hit and work out (most) of the bugs in a new unit.... Just my opinion, which with $1.25 will get ya a cup of coffee !
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:52 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
When I worked at an RV dealership they would try and get a trade in as close to free as they could..... That's only good business for the dealer but not so much for you as a buyer. Always try and work a deal without a trade, then after the price is set bring up the subject of your trade. Personally I wouldn't buy new, let someone else take the depreciation hit and work out (most) of the bugs in a new unit.... Just my opinion, which with $1.25 will get ya a cup of coffee !
I have to agree. Never talk trade until you finalize a price on the rig you want. then negotiate for the trade in.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Jzick, any Fleetwood dealer will handle warranty problems. We live 600 plus miles from our dealer and yes we had to leave the coach initially for two weeks. We just had warranty work performed by a non Fleetwood dealer who is just 20 miles from our s/b home. Fleetwood will reimburse us for the labor charges and parts. We had to ok this with customer relations first. So don't let that detour your options. If you strike up an acceptable price with a distant dealer you might offer that to your home town dealer. But morally I would buy from the guy or girl that worked closely to put the deal together. Personally, IMHO, the larger the dealer the more levity they have. Best of luck the 40 Discovery is a very good coach!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #8

If you can find a 2012...still new on a lot somewhere...it will have a sizable discount on it...unless you have to have a 13...the dealer will want to move it which equals a pretty decent discount...
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget63 View Post
I have to agree. Never talk trade until you finalize a price on the rig you want. then negotiate for the trade in.
I agree! Get your best price before they know you have a trade, or they'll beat you up until you're giving them your coach for nothing and paying full price. Still, if you have the time, selling outright will get you more. We ordered our new coach before we sold ours. If we didn't sell we could fall back on trading, but we made 15% more selling outright than trading.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
We didn't have anything to talk trade with, however we purchased our 2010 in July of 2010 for 30% off plus they threw in the 5 yr extended warranty and some other goodies. I have heard of larger discounts than that. Dealer has been great to work with.

Different times, perhaps - but I can't imagine paying retail.
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The list price on our coach was 249,000 and we paid 179,000. No one should ever pay MSRP they are inflated at least 25%
Matchayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardan1 View Post
If we didn't sell we could fall back on trading, but we made 15% more selling outright than trading.
Here in WA you pay sales/use tax on the full purchase price if you buy outright (about 9%). If you trade you only pay the tax on the difference. That can weigh heavily on the private sale vs trade.
We factory ordered our Dutch Star, got about 27% off MSRP.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:58 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Since you are looking at a 'new' model...2013, they will not be as willing to come down as much if it was a new 2012 or 2010 model.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:11 PM   #14

Thank's fella's for all the reply"s and encouragement! Got the deal done today! 33% off list and decent price for my coach!