Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smile comfort spped

I find between 62 and 65 works best for me both for comfort and fuel economy also truckers do not bother me at those speeds
Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2018, 04:01 PM   #44

On limited access highways (like freeways) we drive the same speed as truckers to maintain the smooth flow of traffic. Going slower than truckers just irritates the truckers as they have to pass us, and slows everybody down (and I would propose makes the road less safe). Of course if we were uncomfortable at a certain speed we would drive at a speed that seems safe to us, but rarely has that speed differed from what the truckers are doing.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:06 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Our Newmar DP is happy with 60 mph or above. It will run 80 as smooth as silk but more diesel stops!!
cmlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:19 PM   #46

I like 63 to 65. Best mileage.
Captainlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:24 PM   #47

class a comfortable cruising speed

I have chosen 63. Tire speed with normal pressure for the load is 65 max, add 10 lbs to go faster. Downhill, it usually stays close to within the speed limit. I also am not holding people up too much. Then there is fuel economy.
newmar owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:29 PM   #48
Rcs

Since I haven’t found a tire made for a coach that is rated at over 75 mph. The rig may handle great and smooth as glass but wait until you have a steer tire blowout. Anything over 70 mph for more then a short period like passing is asking for trouble.
Rcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:30 PM   #49

Interstate driving usually Cruse at 70mph. I didn't buy the bus for economy, bought it for comfort. Full timers.
Apen48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:36 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm amazed at all the answers in the range of 60-64 MPH. That's below the speed limit on the Interstate Highways!

On long trips I set the cruise on 68-70 and my 40' diesel pusher just hums along at that speed without any issues. But I find myself having to push the accelerator to 75+ to pass the people that drive too slow in the middle lane. I will use the left (passing) lane some but I'm very conscious not to block the folks running 80.
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:39 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Sweet spot is 62.
jsetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:43 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZRider800 View Post
I'm amazed at all the answers in the range of 60-64 MPH. That's below the speed limit on the Interstate Highways!

On long trips I set the cruise on 68-70 and my 40' diesel pusher just hums along at that speed without any issues. But I find myself having to push the accelerator to 75+ to pass the people that drive too slow in the middle lane. I will use the left (passing) lane some but I'm very conscious not to block the folks running 80.
The posted speed limit is the MAXIMUM speed your allowed to travel.

Its not the speed you must travel. That would be a posted MINIMUM speed limit, somewhere between 40 and 45 MPH.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:52 PM   #53

Sweet spot speed

With my ISL 400, peak torque is at 1650 RPM. The transmission gear and tire size gives me 65 MPH with the least amount of shifting gears up and down hills.
NCT21156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:02 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The posted speed limit is the MAXIMUM speed your allowed to travel.

Its not the speed you must travel. That would be a posted MINIMUM speed limit, somewhere between 40 and 45 MPH.
I'm not an idiot Twinboat. I know the difference between minimum and maximum speed posted.

That being said I guess my point was that in REAL LIFE people driving on the Interstate Highways in this country are usually doing so at 70-85 MPH. Yes, that may be over the posted speed limit in some cases but it's reality. So in a lot of cases there are cars going by our collective group of RV drivers at 20 MPH faster than most of the group is driving.

This to me would be more dangerous than worrying about a hypothetical front tire blow out. The chances of causing an accident by driving 20 MPH slower than the flow of traffic is more dangerous. Even the tractor trailers are going faster than 60-62 MPH so if you're in the middle lane they are going by on both sides of you! This is dangerous. I hope if you're only doing 60-62 MPH you're keeping it in the slow lane where you belong.
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:02 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I hate be the slow guy bogging down the flow of travel. I see traffic jams on highways and it ends up being MH going 55 on 70MPH road. I am sure they think it all cool but it really messes up everyone behind them. I try to do the speed of the traffic which is generally the speed limit but there are occasions where it may be a little faster. in all instances I stay under 75 only because we are pulling the trailer.. with tires rated at 75.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:11 PM   #56

Cruising Speed

For us, 65-70 depending on terrain. Crosswinds will cause us to slow down significantly.

2003 Travel Supreme DS01
500 Cummins
Mini Countryman
sneffels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a