Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2015, 01:08 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru499 View Post
I would stick with a larger engine, Cummins 8.3, 8.9. I think most coaches with the 5.9 or 6.7 have 5000 hitches. 
Agreed. In the price range/years you would be looking I would go with the Cummins 8.3. It is a mechanical injection, sleeved engine and can be turned up a bit, which all us racers like to do anyways.

It was available in a few of the ones I posted links to above. Monaco Dynasty's and American Eagles and Traditions of the mid to late 90's in particular.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2015, 06:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSullivan View Post
Here's one for you. Though it says factory tow rated at 7,000 lbs. realistically I think you could tow up to 10k no problem. Subsequent year models were rated at 10k and I don't think anything was actually changed on the frame to warrant the higher rating.

2000 COUNTRY COACH INTRIGUE 40' DIESEL PUSHER LARGE SLIDE CUMMINS 350

That is a pretty good looking rig!

Most defiantly Like to turn up the DP. Always turning up something!!

Keep the Ideals flowing!
acowherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:16 PM   #17

Been working and haven't had a ton of time to look. I think I found something I might be interested in..

2002 Monaco Signature, Willow Park TX - - RVtrader.com

Have a look and tell me what you guys think.

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:24 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Nice looking from the pictures but WOW, 226k miles. I guess I need to start dring mine more.

Mike.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Nice looking from the pictures but WOW, 226k miles. I guess I need to start dring mine more.

Mike.

Yeah, it looks like they drove it!

So how do you like your Monoco overall?
Old 07-27-2015, 04:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead383 View Post
I tow a 28' behind my coach. With it being only 34', the 330hp engine has a good power to weight ratio. I have no issues towing. Keep in mind that most states have a maximum overall length limit of 65'. My setup runs 67.5'. Others are grossly over length. Personal choice whether to roll the dice or not. As Zmotorsports stated, I just plug my trailer into one the coaches 110v outlets to supply power to my trailer. Good luck with your search!
I measured ours the other day. 28' trailer 38' coach and 68' overall. Although I don't know anyone at our track that has been pulled over for overlength......yet.

I wouldn't trust most of the hitches that come on the used DP's. I added iron to mine. The pusher will pull it fine. I have a dragsters, a jr, golf cart, fuel and tools in mine. The 300 hp CAT does just fine in Illinois. If you have a mountain pass to go over it is going to take a while. I don't even move my foot with the Illinois hills.
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:20 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by acowherd View Post

I really like my 03 Monaco. As a matter of fact, my wife and I have been contemplating selling ours and upgrading vs. getting it painted. I think I am going to get it painted because we like it so much and it just barely turned over 100k miles a couple of months ago and I really haven't found anything that jumps out at me that I would trade it for.

Granted the new ones have a lot of bells and whistles but my older Monaco is running and handling great.

Mike.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
I measured ours the other day. 28' trailer 38' coach and 68' overall. Although I don't know anyone at our track that has been pulled over for overlength......yet.

I wouldn't trust most of the hitches that come on the used DP's. I added iron to mine. The pusher will pull it fine. I have a dragsters, a jr, golf cart, fuel and tools in mine. The 300 hp CAT does just fine in Illinois. If you have a mountain pass to go over it is going to take a while. I don't even move my foot with the Illinois hills.
Yeah, the one i am looking at is 40 foot, and planing on a 28ft or so trailer....

It has a 500HP Cummins so it should have plenty of power. I'll have to look over the hitch...

Any concerns with 200K miles? I mean at least they keep it on the road moving....it's mostly Highway miles? Motor/ Trans should be good for 500k?? I had a rebuild on my C-13 in my Pete at 700k

Is Manaco a good coach choice over all, or should I shy away because of the miles, and look for coming with a few less??
Old 07-27-2015, 08:08 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Used the coach in my signature for 13 years racing nearly every weekend. 28' stacker, two cars, support equipment, + golf cart or 4 wheeler. Plug the trailer into the 12.5 diesel generator and run anything you want or need. Now we are mostly sight seeing/vacationing but still love it! Son just bought a '00 Sig so I guess that's the best testimony we can give on Monaco products! One thing I would suggest is the hp number on a race support coach needs to start with a "4". Smaller will work and plenty of folks get by with 'em but I hate to be underpowered. JMHO.

PS. don't give a second thought to the strength of a factory installed 10k hitch on a Signature.. they're bulletproof.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfoot View Post
Used the coach in my signature for 13 years racing nearly every weekend. 28' stacker, two cars, support equipment, + golf cart or 4 wheeler. Plug the trailer into the 12.5 diesel generator and run anything you want or need. Now we are mostly sight seeing/vacationing but still love it! Son just bought a '00 Sig so I guess that's the best testimony we can give on Monaco products! One thing I would suggest is the hp number on a race support coach needs to start with a "4". Smaller will work and plenty of folks get by with 'em but I hate to be underpowered. JMHO.

PS. don't give a second thought to the strength of a factory installed 10k hitch on a Signature.. they're bulletproof.
Well sure! If you are pulling that trailer you need a beast! LOL.

Monaco is a great motorhome. Starting out with over 200k would only happen if the price was really right. I would want some room for some parts replacing.
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:07 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Bucky1320, just for fun, which rig would you think grossed more?

Freightliner/53ft double deck, elevator door trailer w/3 door cars & a dragster, 2 golf carts, support equipment & tools, or

42' Signature/28' stacker, 2 door cars, golf cart or 4 wheeler, tools & equipment?

As the old adage goes...There is no substitute for horsepower!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sig & hrc.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	641.3 KB
ID:	101349   Click image for larger version

Name:	phone dump 422012 038.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	374.8 KB
ID:	101350  

Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:23 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Yeah, the one i am looking at is 40 foot, and planing on a 28ft or so trailer....

It has a 500HP Cummins so it should have plenty of power. I'll have to look over the hitch...

Any concerns with 200K miles? I mean at least they keep it on the road moving....it's mostly Highway miles? Motor/ Trans should be good for 500k?? I had a rebuild on my C-13 in my Pete at 700k

Is Manaco a good coach choice over all, or should I shy away because of the miles, and look for coming with a few less??
High miles or low miles you can still have engine or transmission trouble! Our new to us Magna has 45,000 miles and has had two top end rebuilds and three turbo's.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:47 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
High miles or low miles you can still have engine or transmission trouble! Our new to us Magna has 45,000 miles and has had two top end rebuilds and three turbo's.
How about using a rv inspection group? Get it all checked out and have a engin and trans fluid test done?
Old 07-28-2015, 07:50 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
Well sure! If you are pulling that trailer you need a beast! LOL.

Monaco is a great motorhome. Starting out with over 200k would only happen if the price was really right. I would want some room for some parts replacing.
What would be a really right price be..
Also what about 3rd party inspection?

Tags
class a