Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2015, 01:07 PM   #1

Class A DP.....Help

I am looking into getting a DP Class A for family. I want to take the family racing, 5-6 times a year.

I want to pull a 24-28 ft enclosed trailer around 10k pounds.
I ideally would like to spend less than 50k on DP.
What gets confusing is trying to figure out what one will pull that kinda weight.

Will any old DP pull around 10k trailer? Can any Class A without a tag work? Or is having that TAG that important? I understand that we won't be setting any speed records, but I don't want to see my racecar trailer passing me by either.

Also can you use the DP generator to plug the trailer into for 110 stuff? Like air compressors, battery charger, lights......all that kinda stuff and still run the coach off of it too?

We will also using it for family camping, and that kinda stuff. So what should I be looking for? I know 50k isn't a lot of money when looking at these big motorhomes, but surely there is still some good stuff out there?

What Should I be looking for?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2015, 01:12 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our 2002 Dutch Star DP had a 6,000# hitch limit, the Magna has a 15,000# limit.
Only a few DP's have 10,000#'s capacity that might be in your price range.
Yes, you can run stuff of the gen but you'll still be limited to the watts

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:18 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by acowherd View Post
I am looking into getting a DP Class A for family. I want to take the family racing, 5-6 times a year.

I want to pull a 24-28 ft enclosed trailer around 10k pounds.
I ideally would like to spend less than 50k on DP.
What gets confusing is trying to figure out what one will pull that kinda weight.

Will any old DP pull around 10k trailer? Can any Class A without a tag work? Or is having that TAG that important? I understand that we won't be setting any speed records, but I don't want to see my racecar trailer passing me by either.

Also can you use the DP generator to plug the trailer into for 110 stuff? Like air compressors, battery charger, lights......all that kinda stuff and still run the coach off of it too?

We will also using it for family camping, and that kinda stuff. So what should I be looking for? I know 50k isn't a lot of money when looking at these big motorhomes, but surely there is still some good stuff out there?

What Should I be looking for?
Many older used DP's will fit the bill for this. We started with a 30' gas coach pulling a 24' enclosed trailer to the races, then stepped up to a 1991 38' Beaver Contessa with a 300hp CAT towing the same trailer which weighed around 8500 pounds +/-. Now we have an 03 40' Dynasty and tow a 26' Haulmark Edge weighing right around 12,500 loaded and it does it great. We recently gave up racing but continue to use the race prepped trailer to haul our Harley Ultra Classic and 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

You do not need a tag axle to haul a large enclosed trailer but they are nice as they help to accomodate the heavy tongue weight, especially when associated with racing. My trailer has full toolbox, cabinets and air compressor mounted so tongue weight is quite high. I also would fire up the genset on the coach and simply plug my trailer in to power it up, worked great. In a tight race track environment you may want to invest in a Gen-Turi device to get the generator exhaust up and away from others parked around you.

I know several who have mid-late 90's Dynasty coaches and a guy that has a 1998 Beaver Marquis as well as a 2003 34' Journey that all have 10k pound towing capacity. There are a lot of them out there with the 10k pound rating but also a lot that seem to be in the 5k pound range as well. Late 90's American Eagles/Tradition's are also quite popular at the race track and pulling double duties for pleasure and race duties.

By the way, welcome to the forum also.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:43 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Couple of thoughts, American Coach I believe since '99 or maybe '96 all had 10,000 lb rated hitch with equalizer bars. Tongue weight is limited to I think either 1,000 lb or 1,500 lb. Many of the heavier duty chassis would have a 10,000 lb rated hitch.

With the family, have you thought about insulating the trailer walls and ceilings with a roof air? There are amazingly comfortable air mattress

Intex« Supreme Air-Flow Bed : Cabela's

I have put two queens easily in my trailer and use the generator power to power the roof air. I restricted using one of my a/c's in the coach but I don't know if I really needed to or not.

A tag isn't necessary, but it is nice and may exceed your budget. I started with a 40' '99 American Eagle and pulled my 24' enclosed trailer. You should be able to find several chassis that will be rated for the 10,000 lb trailer and then find mfg who use the chassis rated for this weight. I also think you can find the RV for your budget rated to tow this weight, the key may be only 1 or no slides. If you aren't spending a lot of time in the unit that shouldn't be a deal killer? Good luck in your search and keep us posted.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:13 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Just a quick search turned up these that are @ or below the $50k budget and would be excellent race support coaches as well as comfortable for traveling.

Mike.

American Eagle.
1994┬*American Coach┬*American Eagle┬*listed on RVOnline.com -RVs for Sale

HR Endeavor. A guy that I work with has one similar to this and tows a 24' stacker trailer loaded with sand toys.
2001┬*Holiday Rambler┬*Endeavor 38CDS w/Slide┬*listed on RVOnline.com -RVs for Sale

Newmar Dutch Star.
1998┬*Newmar┬*Dutch Star Diesel w/Slide┬*listed on RVOnline.com -RVs for Sale

Monaco Diplomat.
1999┬*Monaco┬*Diplomat w/Slide┬*listed on RVOnline.com -RVs for Sale

Monaco Windsor, these are nice heavy built coaches with a steel structured chassis and semi-monocoque walls/framework.
1998┬*Monaco┬*Windsor w/2 Slides┬*listed on RVOnline.com -RVs for Sale

Here is an older Monacy Dynasty. It shows only a 5k pound towing capacity but these are very common at the race tracks around here for towing large trailers.
1995┬*Monaco┬*Dynasty┬*listed on RVOnline.com -RVs for Sale

Beaver Patriot.
2000┬*Beaver┬*Patriot w/ Slide┬*listed on RVOnline.com -RVs for Sale
Old 05-27-2015, 12:27 PM   #6

I tow a 28' behind my coach. With it being only 34', the 330hp engine has a good power to weight ratio. I have no issues towing. Keep in mind that most states have a maximum overall length limit of 65'. My setup runs 67.5'. Others are grossly over length. Personal choice whether to roll the dice or not. As Zmotorsports stated, I just plug my trailer into one the coaches 110v outlets to supply power to my trailer. Good luck with your search!
Old 05-27-2015, 12:36 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
We recently bought a 1998 American Dream with the 6C8.3 Cummins on a Spartan chassis. Our chassis is rated at 10k tow.

When looking at anything on a Spartan chassis, call them with the VIN. They can tell you what the tow capacity was originally spec'd at, and whether or not they supplied the hitch (which would be rated for that spec'd tow capacity).

They did not supply our hitch, and it is a cheapie bolt on - I wouldn't tow 5k lbs with it.

I can say that our budget was $35k. We love the fit and finish in our American and think it tends to be better than other coaches in our price range.

Let us know why you pick up!
Old 05-27-2015, 01:31 PM   #8

The "Family" is Wife and 2 kids.....She said she aint sleeping in no race trailer! That's what me and my buddies do now with my 24ft enclosed. just throw 2 air beds and a grill, and good for the weekend at the races.

Thanks for all the replies so far guys...I need the get the wife out and start looking at a few, so she can get an ideal of what kinda floor plan she likes. I don't care as long at it will pull my tailer and get me down the road!

Thanks for posting a few coaches for sale...kinda gives a good ideal what to be looking for.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:41 PM   #9

Anyone that interested in Drag Racing....Here is my money pit.......

Also can check out my facebook page here....
https://www.facebook.com/pages/FNSS-...ref=ts&fref=ts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140813_171156.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	492.8 KB
ID:	95410  
Old 05-27-2015, 03:54 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Nice. When you get your coach and trailer setup here are a couple of threads that you should post in.

Until then for your drooling pleasure.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/trailers-you-tow-behind-your-mh-pictures-of-the-whole-rig-181760.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/how-many-people-use-their-class-a-s-as-a-vehicle-to-tow-their-race-cars-233480.html

Mike.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:25 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Here's one for you. Though it says factory tow rated at 7,000 lbs. realistically I think you could tow up to 10k no problem. Subsequent year models were rated at 10k and I don't think anything was actually changed on the frame to warrant the higher rating.

2000 COUNTRY COACH INTRIGUE 40' DIESEL PUSHER LARGE SLIDE CUMMINS 350
Old 05-27-2015, 10:27 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Just a quick search turned up these that are @ or below the $50k budget and would be excellent race support coaches as well as comfortable for traveling.

Mike.

American Eagle.
1994┬*American Coach┬*American Eagle┬*listed on RVOnline.com -RVs for Sale

HR Endeavor. A guy that I work with has one similar to this and tows a 24' stacker trailer loaded with sand toys.
2001┬*Holiday Rambler┬*Endeavor 38CDS w/Slide┬*listed on RVOnline.com -RVs for Sale

Newmar Dutch Star.
1998┬*Newmar┬*Dutch Star Diesel w/Slide┬*listed on RVOnline.com -RVs for Sale

Monaco Diplomat.
1999┬*Monaco┬*Diplomat w/Slide┬*listed on RVOnline.com -RVs for Sale

Monaco Windsor, these are nice heavy built coaches with a steel structured chassis and semi-monocoque walls/framework.
1998┬*Monaco┬*Windsor w/2 Slides┬*listed on RVOnline.com -RVs for Sale

Here is an older Monacy Dynasty. It shows only a 5k pound towing capacity but these are very common at the race tracks around here for towing large trailers.
1995┬*Monaco┬*Dynasty┬*listed on RVOnline.com -RVs for Sale

Beaver Patriot.
2000┬*Beaver┬*Patriot w/ Slide┬*listed on RVOnline.com -RVs for Sale
That 1995 Monaco Dynasty has a 10,000 lb towing capacity. The ad must have been referring to how much cargo weight the coach could carry. ?

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:37 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
That 1995 Monaco Dynasty has a 10,000 lb towing capacity. The ad must have been referring to how much cargo weight the coach could carry. ?

Jim
I thought pretty much all of the Dynasty's had 10k pound towing as I sure see/saw many of them at the race track, but I wasn't 100% sure and didn't want to dispute what the ad stated.

Thanks for clarifying.

Mike.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:00 AM   #14

I would stick with a larger engine, Cummins 8.3, 8.9. I think most coaches with the 5.9 or 6.7 have 5000 hitches. 

Tags
class a