RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2017, 06:11 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I really didn't intend to focus so much on mileage but that seems to dominate the discussion. I was more concerned about overall annual cost for fuel and routine maintenance. I am willing to pay a bit more for the ride in a diesel.
So far we're looking seriously at the Fleetwood Discovery 38K, Fleetwood Pace Arrow 38K, and the Tiffin RED 33AA.
We look again at them tomorrow morning to see what the wife likes the best or doesn't like so one may be picked or all eliminated.
Personally I would prefer the Tiffin because it's smaller. Just the two of us and I don't think we need such a large coach or the bath and a half. The wife has veto power over any of that though. She's still all about size. Imagine that!
I could be content with the Discovery or the Tiffin IF I can negotiate about the same price point for the deal. Dealer quoted a sale price for the Fleetwoods but didn't give anything but MSRP for the Tiffin.
I just liked the feel of the quality on the Tiffin more than the Fleetwood.
The dealer also just picked up the HR, Holiday Rambler line. They said that REV has brought it back to life. I want to look at a couple of those tomorrow.
Thanks to all. I'll keep ya posted on the go/no-go decision.

JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2017, 06:46 PM   #30

Personally, I thought there was a big difference in the quality , and the comfort of the furniture between Tiffin and Fleetwood.........amongst other things.

I was comparing a new discovery to a used allegro bus at the time, and that was 4 years ago.

Boyd R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #31

JohnH12,
Just be sure you take your time, and drive as many coaches as possible. Remember a DP should ride like a Caddy. No squeaks and rattles, very little road noise, very little wind noise. No wander or fighting with the wheel. You should be able to put in a 5 to 6 hr drive with very little fatigue.
I drove several new entry level coaches, and always left a little disappointed. Drove an older higher end coach and I was sold.
Now your wife is probably like mine, new, and lots of shiny materials. But like I told her....unless your driving this puppy then I have a say here too.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:00 PM   #32

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
JohnH12,

Now your wife is probably like mine, new, and lots of shiny materials. But like I told her....unless your driving this puppy then I have a say here too.
LOL! Said the same thing to my DW.....
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:10 PM   #33

My 2008 Bounder was very consistent across hills / flat toad/ no toad and ran 7 to 7.5. Now my diesel 340 / ISB weighs about 10,000 more and runs close to 9.0 no matter what. In broad terms, using the numbers you had, you would be looking at an ISB powered coach around 33,000 lbs. Gross. They will run in the neighborhood of $185,000 actual price. The Bounder was great, and you can expect better MPG around 2.0 (less with an ISC) In general the diesel will be a huge improvement in road comfort, once you're parked it will come down to the floor plan choice. There is a fair bunch to pick from... pick a top of your choice and a low end and try them both on a ride. Be patient. In my personal process I put the dealer as extremely important combined with a good Freightliner service that is well versed in RV's.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:17 PM   #34

My thoughts: raised rail chassis, side radiator, independent front suspension; that'll narrow it down pretty quickly.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:11 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought a used Tiffin 6 years ago based on reputation for support and a clear quality advantage. We have not been disappointed and are at the 55000 mile mark, approximately. No one in the business is perfect. Bob Tiffin's name is on the bus, and he is a man of his word. All the other manufacturers are run by "sharecropper CEOs" who come and go as the winds of opportunity blow. Think about that for a moment, and buy the RED. You will be able to find a good dealer with a good discounted price, likely not the guy you have mentioned in your post
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:55 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
In your case, I would contact Independence RV near Orlando and see what they have used in a Newmar. TRY to avoid an orphan (Mandalay or something else no longer made) and avoid anything that involves a Schwintec slide drive system. This IS MY OPINION based on my experience so take it for what its worth and good luck. mark PS-try to get Oasis heating in your RV and a side radiator. I wasted much money not buying what I really wanted and working my way up.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:25 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all the thoughts and recommendations.
We've decided on a 2017 Fleetwood Discovery 38K.
We're working with a local dealer now to get it the way we want.
I'll start another thread to report the results after we take delivery and complete a shakedown trip.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:19 PM   #38

I just drove cross country in a 2003 500HP HR Navigator (ISM Diesel). Fuel averaged between 6.5 and 8.5mpg. No toad. The 8.5 mpg occurred in heavier traffic at an average of 65mph. The 6.5 was typical out west with higher speeds of 75mph and no traffic.

Very pleased with the diesel and the 150 gallon tank. Fuel efficiency isn't great but I expected 6mph so not worse than I thought. Once filled, it has a 1000 mile range which means you can drive all day without a stop. That makes it very nice.
GreyGoose57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:45 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH12 View Post
I really didn't intend to focus so much on mileage but that seems to dominate the discussion. I was more concerned about overall annual cost for fuel and routine maintenance. I am willing to pay a bit more for the ride in a diesel.
So far we're looking seriously at the Fleetwood Discovery 38K, Fleetwood Pace Arrow 38K, and the Tiffin RED 33AA.
We look again at them tomorrow morning to see what the wife likes the best or doesn't like so one may be picked or all eliminated.
Personally I would prefer the Tiffin because it's smaller. Just the two of us and I don't think we need such a large coach or the bath and a half. The wife has veto power over any of that though. She's still all about size. Imagine that!
I could be content with the Discovery or the Tiffin IF I can negotiate about the same price point for the deal. Dealer quoted a sale price for the Fleetwoods but didn't give anything but MSRP for the Tiffin.
I just liked the feel of the quality on the Tiffin more than the Fleetwood.
The dealer also just picked up the HR, Holiday Rambler line. They said that REV has brought it back to life. I want to look at a couple of those tomorrow.
Thanks to all. I'll keep ya posted on the go/no-go decision.
I was going to recommend the 38ks to you as you already have a 35k and obviously like it. If you can do it, go with the discovery over the pace. Pace is same quality interior as your bounder. The Disco gives you full wood cabinet facing and a nicer amenities. Well worth the extra dough. I would stay away from Thor and Forrest River. If the payment fits, take a look at Entegra. For my money and theirs, the best coach on the market for the money at whatever model you decide to go with.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:47 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just saw your post! Good choice on the Disco!

Tags
class a