Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2014, 07:58 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danes-on-tour View Post
The cousin has required an International Drivers license in Germany, and with that in hand he is perfectly legal to drive in Oregon.

If you read what is on the Gov website, it does say here that as a tourist you must assure that your license is legal in EACH INDIVIDUAL state you visit.

Reciprocity appears to have disappeared into the thin air, and this is really the core of the entire problem.
Seems if one is visiting the USA and is wanting to drive anything larger than a auto.......they are not free to just roam around the country in a ....lets say a 40,000 lb Coach? This is interesting subject and a lot of info. is coming out here.......
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
I think the cousin is out of luck. Reciprocity applies to other US states. Not to foreign licenses. So he needs the correct license (or foreign equivalent) for each state he's in.

Now, do I think he'll actually ever have an issue? Only if he gets stopped for a traffic violation, and maybe not even then.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Reciprocity appears to have disappeared into the thin air, and this is really the core of the entire problem.
Reciprocity exists between the states. An International Driver License is an entirely different kettle of fish - one would have to see how each state's laws address a visitor with an International Driver License.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #18
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Livet er kompliceret, så hvorfor skulle kørekort ikke være

Hej Henrik

Agree with Rusty that International Drivers licenses are a different bucket of bolts.

I'm not sure if it has happened yet, or over will, but recently there was some legislation on the Government to allow people who sneak into the country to acquire driver's licenses. Now I'm not saying - - - - - - .

There are several states that issue driver licenses to person who are not here "legally." I don't know if that applies to those who are here legally.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:35 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Reciprocity exists between the states. An International Driver License is an entirely different kettle of fish - one would have to see how each state's laws address a visitor with an International Driver License.

Rusty
Rusty - the DMV in Texas will not answer that question when you ask them. I suspect the reason is that they don't have the answer.

What they will do is deny people with an International license to accuire a Texas drivers license and/or take the non- commercial Class A test.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Livet er kompliceret, så hvorfor skulle kørekort ikke være

Hej Henrik

Agree with Rusty that International Drivers licenses are a different bucket of bolts.

I'm not sure if it has happened yet, or over will, but recently there was some legislation on the Government to allow people who sneak into the country to acquire driver's licenses. Now I'm not saying - - - - - - .

There are several states that issue driver licenses to person who are not here "legally." I don't know if that applies to those who are here legally.
I have asked Texas DMV that exact question, and again they have chosen not to give an answer.

I did read about this "amnesty", but at the moment it would appear that you will have to be in the US illegally to qualify. Legal entries don't qualify.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #21

An "International Driver's Permit" is essentially a certified translation of the underlying driver's licence and does not change or modify the conditions or endorsements of the underlying licence.

In Germany (and the rest of the European Union) driver's licences are based upon the weight of the vehicle. A "B" licence permits a vehicle up to 3500kg plus a trailer up to 750 kg. A "BE" licence permits a vehicle up to 3500 kg plus a trailer up to 3500 kg. A "C1" licence is required for a vehicle between 3500 kg and 7500kg. A "C1E" is required for a vehicle >3500<7500 kg plus trailer not exceeding a total of 12000kg. Any vehicle exceeding 7500 kg requires a "C" permit. Different classes are required for buses.

A distinction is made between private and commercial driving in that commercial drivers are required to be at least age 21 versus age 18 for non commercial driving.

Most reciprocal agreements provide that if you have the appropriate licence class and endorsements in your home jurisdiction, those will be accepted while you are travelling in or passing through the host jurisdiction.

Unless Uncle Joe's cousin has a class "C" licence in Germany he is not legal to drive a 26000 lb motorhome in Germany let alone anywhere that has reciprocal driving permit arrangements including Oregon.
kidz_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #22
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I have asked Texas DMV that exact question, and again they have chosen not to give an answer.

I did read about this "amnesty", but at the moment it would appear that you will have to be in the US illegally to qualify. Legal entries don't qualify.
That just doesn't seem right, does it? No comment.

Have you considered sneaking Uncle Joe into one of the states? Nah! Don't do that.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Section 521.030(a) of the Texas Transportation Code appears to address this situation insofar as a Class A or B driver license is concerned. It seems to bypass the International Driver License subject entirely and look at reciprocity vis-a-vis the visitor's home country with Texas:

Quote:
Sec. 521.030. RECIPROCAL LICENSE.

(a) A nonresident who is 18 years of age or older and who has in the person's possession a license issued to the person by the person's state or country of residence that is similar to a Class A or Class B driver's license issued under this chapter is not required to hold a Class A or Class B driver's license issued under this chapter if that state or country of residence recognizes such a license issued by this state and exempts the holder from securing a license issued by the state or foreign country.

(b) A nonresident who is 16 years of age or older and who has in the person's possession a driver's license issued to the person by the person's state or Canadian province of residence may operate a type of motor vehicle that is permitted to be operated with a Class C or Class M driver's license in this state if the license held by the nonresident permits operation of that type of vehicle in the person's state or province of residence.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
Rusty
Old 01-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Section 521.030(a) of the Texas Transportation Code appears to address this situation insofar as a Class A or B driver license is concerned. It seems to bypass the International Driver License subject entirely and look at reciprocity vis-a-vis the visitor's home country with Texas:
That's because there's no such thing as an International Drivers License. There IS an International Drivers Permit, which is just a translation of the original country driver's license. It's not valid without the original.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
I sincerely apologize for using the word "License" instead of "Permit". I trust my error did not result in too much confusion.

Rusty
Old 01-11-2014, 12:25 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would look into each states laws. I know in PA, firefighters are required to have a CDL to drive fire trucks but NJ doesn't . So when we picked up our new engine in PA we had to send a CDL driver .
caplad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:40 PM   #27

The Federal Government sets the minimum requirements for CDL. The Federal requirements do not apply to RVs. Each state can set additional requirements which can include RVs. The requirements you must meet are those of your state of residence.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:

I think i know who Uncle Joe is
HUH What, Who, Where!!!

LOL
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, driver