Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2009, 06:47 AM   #15

Thumbs up Green

We're looking at a 1997 Winnabago Adventurer. Anyone know anything about them? It's 36 foot with one slideout near the front.
Gas milage?
Handeling?
Problems?
Thanks for all your answers, I love this site.
We stay at LIV in Port Isabel every year.
john123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:35 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Gas mileage would be in the 7-8 range. Handling is typical of its class - adequate but no sports car. You may find you want to add a Tru-Trak bar (panhard rod) to the front suspension - it usually improves the tracking and handling on any leafy spring suspension coach.

Check out the Winnebago Owners forum here - you should be able to get lots of input on this model.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
The biggest factor is the amount of TAIL SWING... When making a turn, the tail swings out... the more the over hang (back of coach to rear wheels) the wider the swing. Other wise it's like driving a car (ok... a very WIDE, very TALL car ).

Seriously... it's not hard to drive either one.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I drive a 37'er.. Once I got used to driving a rig that is 8.5 feet WIDE (Other than tow trucks, and some other special stuff, RV's are the only ting over 8 feet allowed on the road)

It makes very little difference if I'm driving a Mercury Tracer, Chevy Lumina APV or the motor home.. At least going forward

Two suggestions...

1: The first few corners take it slow and watch your mirrors to make sure you pull far enough out before turning

2: Visit a shopping mall.. Get some "Dunce Caps" (Traffic cones" and lay out a course... practice driving both forward, and backing into a "Site" (Marked out with the cones)

Also, once you find the center of the lane.. Get an dot, like an inventory control dot, and park it on the windshield, right over the center line... That way you knwo where center is.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by john123 View Post
We're looking at buying a motorhome. Hoe much harder is it to drive a 36 foot compared to a 30 foot?
Interestingly, this is almost exactly what we did this year. Moved from a 30' Winnebago to a 37' Newmar - both gas coaches. There has been very little difference that I have noticed in driving the longer rig, mainly I need to swing turns a little wider than I did before. For some reason, I actually feel more confident driving the longer rig, guess it has to do with a better ride and handling from the longer wheelbase.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One point that hasn't been mentioned is if the length difference also changes the class. Many 30 footers are Class C's (a truck like front end) while the 36 footers will probably be Class A's (bus front end - although I know that there are Renegades in the 36' range.) Assuming that the two ARE different classes, there can be a big difference in driving them.

We put 7,000 miles on rental Class C's. I was familiar with driving rental trucks (Ryder, U-Haul, etc.) and the Class C wasn't different from those. The Class A was VERY different, at least to me.

1. I had to learn to keep the driver's side closer to the center line. This is very important especially in construction zones. The skill can be developed by using the driver's side mirror for feedback. It does take practice.
3. The "mass of glass" can be very disconcerting. On a trip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, we came around a corner on 89A where all that separated us from a very long fall was a 4" white painted line. The extra height and all of the glass can panic guys like me with fear of height problems. It is wonderful to be able to see out but things like crossing high bridges and mountain passes can be an issue.

I didn't find that much difference in corners between the Class C's and Class A and think that backing in is actually easier. Having a spotter who looks up as well as down is important.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
Many 30 footers are Class C's (a truck like front end) while the 36 footers will probably be Class A's.
While this is somewhat true, I have seen Class A's down to 24' and have seen Class C's up to 38' so it depends on the model and brand. Both my 30' and 37' are class A so I had a direct comparison.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:05 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Has anyone seen training videos for MH driving and 5th wheel driving skills on the internet? Tips, tricks, pitfalls, etc?
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:52 AM   #23

you need to go test drive one and you will see for youself how easy it is to drive
squeak is offline   Reply With Quote