Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #1

Class A driving schools

I am new to class A coaches and I'm looking into driving schools for my wife and myself. Does anyone have any experience with Dick Reeds driving school in Ocala FL taught by ( Warner Detrick). There cost is $535 for 2 people.
It seems a little high??
There is also a school at Lazydays near Tamps for $100.
Does anyone have any experience or feed back in this area?
Terry

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2010, 05:34 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi tebrock,
I know only the course at Lazy Days. Last I knew if you are staying at the campground, the course is free. If you are new at the class A thing, the $100 would be a good investment. The morning is classroom. The instructor provides some interesting ways to remember complicated class A procedures. The afternoon is driving. One gets to drive around the CG demonstrating what they have learned.

The course and instructor must be good. I've been driving a coach since 1978. The wife has never driven,,,,,,never. She will not go near the driver's seat. I bet the instructor (a Coca Cola) if I was able to get her to the classroom, he'd never get her to the driving part of the course. Later that day she returned with her certificate of completion! That meant she had to pass the driving part of the course. I congratulated her on driving and getting her certificate. The next morning I found the instructor and paid the bet .

epilogue; She drove once and that was enough for her. She still refuses to even try to drive our coach.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:44 PM   #3

Thanks for the input, I hope my wife will drive. I do not want to do all the driving.
Terry
Old 12-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #4

The course at Lazy Days is very good. We did if this past February.
jrupinsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:59 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've heard rumors that assertions of a fear of driving or just disinclination toward it...
well, it is far more about having a nicer way of saying they don't want to have a certain someone (hint) else in the rig be the passenger.

Aside from that factor though, there are a hundred or at least ten other things (like navigation) that if done well wil make the driving experience much more enjoyable for both of them.

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Dick Reed's RV School is well worth the money, in my opinion. You & your wife get 12 hours of personalized instruction, driving your own coach, over a two day period. None of the others come close to that sort of attention and hands-on training. You will be a well-trained RV driver when you complete it, beyond a doubt.

Two day driving course
http://www.rvschool.com/price.htm

The Lazydays driving school Class A Driver Confidence Course is good, as is instructor Barney Alexander, but you get maybe 20 minutes actually behind the wheel and the rest is a general group thing and mostly classroom tips. About 4.5 hours total. The Lazydays class is free to Lazydays customers or $75 for others ($99/couple).

Lazydays Driver Confidence Course - Better RVing

The question is, do you need all that The RV School has to offer. You could take the Lazydays confidence course and see how you feel about Class A driving afterwards. If still worried about your skills, sign up with Reed's school.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:52 PM   #7

I also recommend the Dick Reed school. I'd been driving our rig for a year when we attended, and I learned a lot. DW did the driving at the school.

Overall, very good instruction. I sure like having another driver on board.

Fred
Old 01-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #8

Really good driving school, and free. Drive Natchez Trace parkway from Nashville to state line with 40' rig and toad. Curves, low traffic, hills and a high bridge. Let spouse drive back up. Hardest part of trip is riding in passenger seat. Then hit I-40 for the rest of the course.
Noelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelj View Post
Really good driving school, and free. Drive Natchez Trace parkway from Nashville to state line with 40' rig and toad. Curves, low traffic, hills and a high bridge. Let spouse drive back up. Hardest part of trip is riding in passenger seat. Then hit I-40 for the rest of the course.
Hi Noel,

Got any good sources of info for the "Trace Parkway" (since you have done the route)? The wife and I are interested in doing the "Trace" Thanks.

Dave