Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2019, 09:12 AM   #1

Class A Flood LIghts

Hello:
I have a 40' Newmar mountain aire and I want to install flood lights outside, but I do not want to drill into the roof. Has anyone installed LED flood lights inside pointing forward through the windshield.

I have wood cabinetry above each side of the windshield and the light would be hidden from view inside by the roller day shades?
Newmar40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2019, 09:19 AM   #2

Flood lights to be used while driving or only when parked? There will be a ton of reflection back via the windshield so both situations will not be good. Definitely not while driving...
Why hesitating drilling thru the roof? There are tons of hole there already. You just have to do it right. And seal the entry from moisture. No biggie. If you can't do it comfy, pay someone to do it for you. Is the roof fiberglass (easy) or rubber (still easy)?

Drilling through the roof is the easy part. Getting the wires routed inside the coach is the work.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:19 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

I don't think it would be legal to drive with those floodlights! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:37 AM   #4

MSHappyCamper is right...there is a legal spec on how far off the roadway illumination lights can be. And roofline is way above that number. No doubt would get you pulled over.

I will be adding some lights on the front within the grill area but they won't be any taller than the existing headlights. That too may be questionable but tolerable.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:39 AM   #5

I, too, am curious as to the intended use of the flood lights. Can you explain a bit?

Regardless of their use, it would be possible to mount them inside and avoid the reflection, but that would require either putting a housing around the lights that extends all the way to the windshield and sealing the contact point with a flexible gasket, or running a panel of some sort under the lights that runs horizontally across the windshield, blocking any light. Even if the lights were to be used only while parked, the vibration of the lights/housing against the windshield while traveling is something you wouldn't want, so the gasket would have to be very flexible. All together, it seems much more complicated that simply mounting on the roof and pulling wires, but we really don't know the reasons behind your idea.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:24 PM   #6

I'm thinking that the OP is tired of the usual sad headlights on the typical coach.

Or maybe the OP has not thought about a spotlight on top? Pretty common - I have one, haven't used it since I bought her. But I don't drive at night either.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:04 PM   #7

There are plenty of posts about upgrading headlights.
The basics:

LED bulbs replace the stock bulbs. Cheap, easy to do, good results.

Projector housings to replace old housings- can be expensive, not so easy to do, can have excellent results if you use quality equipment. Many different ways to do this. Can be difficult to determine which housing to use. May have to be a custom installation. Can run LED, Bi-Xenon (best), Halogen bulbs.

Add fog lights - can be LED. Mounted low. wide beam

Add driving lights - can be LED. Mounted high as the headlights. narrow piercing beams. Wired into high beam circuit.

Ensure low beams run with high beams. Standard with newer lighting systems. Typically just require a relay kit that is inexpensive and fairly easy to install.

The roof top spot light isn't supposed to be used while driving. Illegal.

Tags
class a, light, lights