Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2011, 07:23 AM   #1

Class A floorplan

Looking to buy a new or ,almost new, class A with a floorplan that allows the TV location to be viewable without straining your neck. The new Sightseer 33C model has this type of layout with it built into the dining table with the couch facing it. Anybody know of others. Thanks
ernsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2011, 07:48 AM   #2

This is something that has always bothered me and made me wonder why Manufacturers build these this way. A lot of time is spent watching TV and it is very uncomfortable to sit sideways on a couch. There seem to be very little floorplans with the TV directly across from seating. Good luck...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:43 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We removed the old (heavy) TV from the overhead and turned the space into more storage. Then we mounted a 32" flat screen in our hutch at the other end of the "living room". Now we can watch TV from the couch and all of the chairs including from the dining table. It works great for us but not all coaches have the hutch.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
The TV across from the couch was one of the primary factors for us when we bought our 30W Vista. We've had the Winnebago for 4 months now and have been on 4 trips. If a 30 footer would work for you (actually 30' 11") there might be some used 2010s (first year with that floorplan) out there now. We had to buy new to get it, but we love that layout.

Good luck.
Floridafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Other than Winnebago, two others come to mind (below).

The Newmar Canyon Star is a gasser on the Ford chassis; the Thor Serrano is a Workhorse chassis diesel w/Maxxforce engine (scroll over one place on the right-hand arrow to see the 33A floor plan on the website). This particular Serrano floor plan just came out so there are not too many on dealers' lots yet.

All of these (and the Sightseer 33c) are roughly around the same MSRP price-point, give or take about $10k).

2011 Canyon Star 3856

2011 Serrano 33a (diesel)

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:51 AM   #6

TV

Look at a Winnebago 38J from 2005 t0 2007. Once you have one you will never go back to craning your neck.
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:24 AM   #7

"This is something that has always bothered me and made me wonder why Manufacturers build these this way"

Until the advent of light weight flat panel tv's there were few options of where you could mount a TV in a MH. Either in the dash or in the overhead area were about the only options without taking up room.

Some manufacturers did design a front facing couch but not many did.

Tom

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #8

My wife lies on the couch and I sleep I mean watch from the recliner.Works for us.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When we recently visited the Tampa Super Show Lazy Days had a new Monaco class A that had a front kitchen and middle living area with a sectional couch that reclined and faced a large flat screen. No strain on the neck. Don't remember the exact model but it was different and the floor plan was great. Not your typical layout. Check with Ian Raymond the salesman we know there and I'm sure he can point you in the right direction.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernsue
Looking to buy a new or ,almost new, class A with a floorplan that allows the TV location to be viewable without straining your neck. The new Sightseer 33C model has this type of layout with it built into the dining table with the couch facing it. Anybody know of others. Thanks
Winnebago Journey Express 34Y or Itasca Meridian V Class 34Y. That was just one of the floor plan features we were looking for ourselves. We just bought a 2010 Itasca 34Y.

Just took a look at the Sightseer 33C floor plan. That's pretty much the same as our 34Y. You'll love it.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
This one has a theater in the bedroom. Just lift the Murphy Bed and find a 42" flat screen with theater seating. Perhaps a bit pricy but a beautiful coach.
http://www.rvt.com/rvdetail4552438.htm

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	8079  
Old 02-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #12

Thanks for the info,,we are trying to stay 34 ft or under. We may even go to a class B+ or a C to allow for more options. I guess it isn't that big a deal but,,,

=
ernsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum! The issue you raise is exactly why we ended up with our current coach. I just was not going to deal with a front mounted TV. I don't know what's available in shorter lengths but we love the set up in our Itasca Ellipse 40FD. Dual power recliners are mounted opposite the TV and fireplace.

Good Luck,

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08536.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	8093  

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
It's a big deal if it matters to you.

We first saw a configuration similar to ours in the Sightseer but we didn't want to go over 30 feet if we could help it because of the places we knew we'd want to be able to go. We loved the fact that along with having the TV across from the sofa we'd get the dinette with 4 chairs instead of a booth.

Although we found a few 2010 30Ws (some 1000 miles away from us) none had exactly what we wanted. When our local dealer agreed to order us a 2011 at a price competitive with the 2010s, we went for it. We were able to pick only the options we wanted and select the colors I preferred. Yes, we had to wait for it when it would have been wonderful to take it home in days rather than weeks, but we used that time to sell my car and find a Wrangler like we wanted to tow.

This is our first RV and we decided not to compromise on the things that really mattered to us. I don't know that there's an RV out there that would have had every single little thing we wanted - at least not one that we could afford and still have traveling money - but this one has most of them. We haven't regretted buying our Vista.

If you don't rush your decision I hope you'll be able to feel the same about the RV you finally get. Happy hunting and even happier travels.

Fran
Floridafran is offline   Reply With Quote