Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
I'm looking at tearing my old barn down and building a new one. The old one is only 28X30 and the MH is 37'. I'm not sure if the ounty will let me expand the footprint to a 28X40, but that's what I'm going to try. My Windcruiser is only 10'2", so I don't need to go more than a 12 foot door. I suppose if I'm building, I should consider what I might get in the future and go higher. It will be cheaper now and I don't want to wish I had done it later. Given that, what is the talles Class A out there? Looking on the web, most seem to be just under 13', so a 14' high door should work.
You need to be careful about how much actual clearance is under the door. I looked at a couple of different 14' doors and there was a problem with them not being higher than that actual 14' opening.

I went through what you are doing in 2010. We had an old pole barn that won't fit over even part of the MH. The biggest building the town would let me build was 32'x46'10" (just under 1,500 sq ft) and the top of the roof had to be no more than 20 feet. I bought a pre-fab unit from General Steel (don't even think about using them or you'll be sorry), ended up with 47 yards of concrete in the foundation and 35% over budget.

It sure is nice now that it is finished but it was a major headache during the construction.

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To build a barn style for our coach, boat and horses $35,000.00. Thats more then our first two houses together. So we will keep storing on a lot 3 miles from our home for $50.00 per month for the boat and coach.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #17

I am close to finishing my new RV barn, it has a 16x40 center section with a 12 x 40 lean to on each side for a 40x40 footprint with a 14 h x 12w rollup door. It is a pole barn that was installed with roof only for $8500, I had the floor poured by a local contractor, purchased rough sawn lumber from a sawmill and walled inside and out vertically myself, and ordered roll up doors for each end from steel door depot in Atlanta and installed with one other person easily. I will have less than $15000 after it is stained on the outside, no electricity yet but will do that soon. I will take pics with my phone and load later. It also holds a tractor, mower, ranger and alot of junk I might need one day.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #18

$35,000. Because of neighborhood restrictions, I had to use more expensive materials than I would have preferred. But in the end I'm happy with the outcome, I have power, water and sewer in garage, so it meets all my needs.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #19

Just passed framing inspection and now electricty and waiting on doors.Will send pics when done.Got two 15 ft.high doors and one 16ft.wide and one 12 ft wide.I hope this works or Iam in big trouble
.All this for my 40 ft.baby
Old 10-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #20

Hay Roger G. where did you buy the roll up door?Thanks Longhair
Old 10-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #21

Steel Door depot online. They are located in an Atlanta suburb. You can get a quote online but call and you will get a little better price and better shipping rate. I ordered 2 doors, a 10 x 10 for the back and a 12 x13'6" for the front. Truck freight to a commercial address with a forklift to unload was less than $250 but delivery with a lift gate on the truck was available but probably higher. The doors were completely assembled with only the two guide rail to install. I used a front end loader on a tractor to lift the doors up and simply screwed them to the wall with the supplied lag bolts, simple, it took longer to uncrate them than to install. They definitely did not want them damaged in shipping. I would definitely buy again. I will take pics and try to load them if I can figure it out. I think the web site is steeldoordepot.com and it is a Janus 1000 door.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #22

It's 12 x 13' 9" not 13' 6". They built the door to fit the hole. Hope this works!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2688367643.png
Views:	46
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	14452   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3199495446.png
Views:	49
Size:	879.6 KB
ID:	14453  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1818091383.png