Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2017, 02:37 AM   #1

Class A Gas

Any thoughts on a Winnebago Adventurer Class A Gas RV? It has a WARHORSE Chasis and Vortec engine. Looking to purchase soon.

Thanks
Roadrunner78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2017, 03:18 AM   #2

Do you know which Workhorse chassis its on? How about the year and model? I have the sister coach, a 2007 Suncruiser 35A on a W24 chassis. It is an excellent chassis and has been a great coach. Is there anything you are specifically concerned about?
Old 01-22-2017, 05:29 AM   #3

I am not sure about the Winnebago Adventurer, but as far as a Workhorse Chassis with a Vortec engine goes, it could be a P32 with either a 7.4 Vortec or an 8.1 Vortec (Workhorse acquired the old Chevy / GM P-30 /P-32 platform line, factory and all in 1999 and continued to build it with minor upgrades until about 2005), or it could be Workhorses in house designed W series platform which is divided into weight ranges only offered with the 8.1 Vortec, like W-18 for the 18,000 pound platform,W-20 for 20,000, etc. The P-32 is often referred to as a bread truck chassis, as GM sold many to the light delivery truck market over the years, in typical motorhome service they need a lot of aftermarket suspension upgrades to perform decently, and even then are probably best only suited for nonslide models less than about 30 ft in length. This is not to say that the P32 was a bad design, it was just never meant to carry the kind of weight that motorhome manufacturers put on it. This is coming from someone that owns one.

Ike

p.s. note some W series units had a major brake system recall issue that you should be aware of
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:29 AM   #4

Good comments Issac. Roadrunner78 be sure to verify your potential purchase had the brake recall completed.

Also, back when both Ford and GM/Workhorse chassis and engines were available, the Chevrolet 8.1L engine would justify a price premium over the Ford (or at least they charged more). Of course, the Ford V-10 has been continuously developed since then and is now the only gas engine available.

The V-8 8.1 was the last of the Detroit "Big block" engines and some people specifically look for used motorhomes with this engine. It produces it's power at a lower RPM than the smaller displacement Ford V-10; which runs at significantly higher RPM to produce it's power. Some owners complain about the resulting noise. I'm not Ford bashing, just stating the facts as I understand them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I am not sure about the Winnebago Adventurer, but as far as a Workhorse Chassis with a Vortec engine goes, it could be a P32 with either a 7.4 Vortec or an 8.1 Vortec (Workhorse acquired the old Chevy / GM P-30 /P-32 platform line, factory and all in 1999 and continued to build it with minor upgrades until about 2005), or it could be Workhorses in house designed W series platform which is divided into weight ranges only offered with the 8.1 Vortec, like W-18 for the 18,000 pound platform,W-20 for 20,000, etc. The P-32 is often referred to as a bread truck chassis, as GM sold many to the light delivery truck market over the years, in typical motorhome service they need a lot of aftermarket suspension upgrades to perform decently, and even then are probably best only suited for nonslide models less than about 30 ft in length. This is not to say that the P32 was a bad design, it was just never meant to carry the kind of weight that motorhome manufacturers put on it. This is coming from someone that owns one.

Ike

p.s. note some W series units had a major brake system recall issue that you should be aware of
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:30 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Adventurers used the W-series Workhorse, either W20, W22, or W24 depending on year and length. All excellent chassis, but make sure the one configured for that particular coach has adequate GVWR, such that it leaves a good CCC (Cargo capacity) for your gear. Also have the recall status checked to make sure all have been taken care of - there was a major brake system recall for some years of Workhorse W chassis.

In my opinion, the Adventurer is one of the better Class A gas coaches around. However, you didn't mention a year, size or floor plan, so difficult to offer mych insight.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:37 AM   #6

Thanks to all for the feedback. The RV is a 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 37B. The GM Workhorse 8100 series uses 8.1L 502ci. It has less than 18000 miles on it. I've never purchased an RV before, so please don't be reserved in your comments. I like the fact that it has a GM motor. All of my vehicles are GM. Thank you.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:45 AM   #7

The 8.1 liter is actually a 496, a stroked version of the 7.4l (454ci). Good strong engine and coupled with an Allison trans. We a have an 03 Adventurer, W22 chassis with that combo. It needs new shocks but still handles so much better than our previous MH on a P32 chassis. We just put around 4,000 miles on it, from MI to Yellowstone and back pulling a toad. I think you'll be happy with it if you do decide to purchase.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:23 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The 37B is on the Workhorse 24,000 lb chassis. It should make for a great motorhome! The tires are probably the original Michelins and are due for replacement due to aging (not wear). A new set will cost you around $3,000. You should negotiate that the seller either install new Michelin tires or reduce the sale price by that amount. If you don't know how, you should search on how to read the date codes on tires.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:53 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
The 37B is on the Workhorse 24,000 lb chassis. It should make for a great motorhome! The tires are probably the original Michelins and are due for replacement due to aging (not wear). A new set will cost you around $3,000. You should negotiate that the seller either install new Michelin tires or reduce the sale price by that amount. If you don't know how, you should search on how to read the date codes on tires.
Our unit is a 94 Adventurer 29RQ with a big block chev for power with a full banks kit and it has hauled us over 25,000 miles back and forth and up and down North America. Biggest expense so far was the tires since we bought it a few years ago. When I got it my son (mechanic) suggested I use Lucas Oil additive on every oil change and he claimed it would significantly help and older engine.

I know mine is on a workhorse P chassis and if your VIN number 5th thru 7th positions are "P37" then you have the motorhome version of the chassis.

Ours has air ride bags in the rear and no springs. The ride is incredibly smooth since we replaced the air assist bags in the front. Easy peasy job it is not but it really helps to have a vacuum pump for this job.

The next big job will be a front end rebuild and alignment and then we figure she'll be good for another 22 years.

I've even found out where I can get OEM parts for the awning on ours. Great guy to deal with to boot. Faulkner RV Awning Parts for the awnings Winnebago used way back when.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner78 View Post
Thanks to all for the feedback. The RV is a 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 37B. The GM Workhorse 8100 series uses 8.1L 502ci. It has less than 18000 miles on it. I've never purchased an RV before, so please don't be reserved in your comments. I like the fact that it has a GM motor. All of my vehicles are GM. Thank you.

The motor is actually 496 cu in and is different than the 502. There is a Workhorse forum under the chassis section of this web site and there you will find how to decode the VIN, which will tell you what chassis it is, i.e., W22, W24, etc. Each chassis has had a few recalls and if you PM Jon Brazels who owns Brazels RV, he can tell you if the recalls have been done on your specific coach. My suspicion is the coach is on a W24 chassis.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:39 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I have an Adventurer 2008 38J . Great for us and the W24 chassis rides, drives, and handles very good. You will be happy with it I hope. Just remember that it's not a car, so give yourself lots of room on the road! Friends of mine managed to do a fair amount of damage after getting thier first motorhome!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:47 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Class A gas

We have a 2007 Winnie Adventurer 38T. It is on workhorse chassis , 8.1 with 6 speed Allison. This has been a Great coach. We have full timed in it for 4 years and have covered the U.S. from east to west and down to the Florida keys have put roughly 35000 miles on it in that time with no major concerns. Put on new tires 2015 replaced Michelin with Toyota m154 no regrets. Added steering stabilizer from Demming n.m. Replaced tvS with flat screens ,put in res. fridge got rid of norcold,put in tile floor got rid of carpet other than bedroom. Have been through mountains in Colorado, Rockies in B.C. And ozarks in Arkansas. Really like the floor plan, also replaced couch with electric reclining theatre seating.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:42 AM   #13

Your Winnebago sounds like a good coach. One primary bit of advice is to purchase some form of towing insurance like Coach.net. (This is not the "Extended warranty" some people like, which is an entirely different thing). Having a motorhome towed can be extremely costly so a specialized towing policy is a very good thing to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner78 View Post
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:13 PM   #14

All,
Thank you very much. This is very helpful information. One more question- are replacement parts hard to find? Are they costly?

Tags
class a, gas