Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2011, 07:00 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had a 38ft 2003 Pace Arrow gasser GM8.1. Had plenty of power pulling a Jeep Liberty Traded it for a 40Ft diesel more for the torque and climbing ability and also for the mileage.
bldr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #16

I have a 27ft 2000 rexhall vision on 2000 f53 chassis with the 310hp v-10. When I got it I could only pull a 6% grade at 45-50 mph. I have installed Doug thorley headers, 5 star tuning sct tuner and spectre air filter at cost of about $1000. Now I can go up the same 6% grade at 60-65 with power to spare. On a recent 4300 mile road trip we average 8 mpg at 70-75 mph. It is a smaller class a which works for are family and has a 10k tow rating, I tow a 7k rock crawler/trailer/tools. I would love diesel but don't think I will ever want a coach bigger than 30ft so I am not sure I could justify the added cost unless we were going full time.
carstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:30 AM   #17

Not one to leave anything alone, I bought the 5 Star with economy/performance/tow tunes and a Y pipe. Do the headers help that much? Are they full length or shortys?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:51 AM   #18

Lots of great posts... We purchased our Winnebago last November, to date I have driven it around 3,000 miles, the last trip was 1,700 miles form New Jersey to Tennessee and back. I was more then pleased with how it handled the mountains on I-81 in Virginia and I-24 out of Chattanooga. I found that setting the cruise control at 62 let me run the engine at 2100 RPM. On the way down we got 7.5 (running the generator for extra AC) and 8 on the way home.
Sure a DP has more power, braking, ride. But you will pay for that.

How many miles to you anticipate on driving a year? And where?

I personally think if you are not retired and driving around 5,000 miles a year then get a gasser. I you plan on retiring with it, travel out west and drive more then 5,000 miles a year then a DP.

Do you plan on doing any of the maintenance yourself?

Chat to a individual who had a DP and was what the cost of annual maintenance is?

Best of luck with your decision and make sure to we the World of Outlaw cars in July !!
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:43 AM   #19

We have a 2008 38 ft gas MH and don't have any problem with power. As stated before you are not racing. The idea is to take your time and enjoy yourself. If you can afford the diesel check them out if not the gas works fine. You may want to check out a Workhorse chassis with an 8.1 L and Allison transmission the extra gears and grade breaking is a nice option. Pulling a toed on level ground we get around 8.5 mpg. The cost of a DP was out of our comfort zone.
Mody n Domy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #20

Dunner I did the headers first because the manifolds do not flow well and I had exhaust leak at the #1 exhaust port do to the 6mm studs breaking which i have read is common problem for the triton engine. I noticed a improvement just from the headers alone. They are long flow headers although not as long as the banks headers but there half the cost as well. They did help are mileage too. Last year we were on a road trip through Cali,nevada, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, new Mexico, and Arizona and we actually go 10mpg running at 55mph with no a/c on. Most the time its 8-9 mpg average.
carstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV's have traditionally been under powered or so it seems

however these days... not so much.

THe class A I drive has a 8.1L Vortec V8 with an Allison drive shaft twister on the back of it, It pulls up hills just fine, Though I drive it a bit more gently than I did my car it could do a good job of keeping up. When the semi with the car parked under it was removed from the freeway.. I passed several of the semi's who were backed up behind it going up hill.

Now if I compared it to,,, say a Mustang 5.0 (A go fast car) or one of the 150mph babies out there.. Yes, it's under powered.. but that's also 3x the speed limit.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:51 AM   #22

I was born with an extra "cheap" chromosome, so naturally I evaluated gas vs. diesel coaches. Our previous setup was a 30' 5th wheel and Ram pickup with a diesel engine, which I loved. Since I drove the pickup regularly, the diesel was viable. But for 6-7K miles per year on a motorhome, it was not a good trade-off for us. We do not want a 40' rig, so that made a gasser our best choice. The 8.1 V8 GM engine has been perfectly adequate, but they are not made any more. The Ford V10 seems to be comparable based on all the posts I have read. Maintaining my engine has been no more costly than any light-duty gas V8 vehicle. I also don't worry about water in the fuel and extra filters, compressed air systems, diesel exhaust fluid additive, 2 chassis batteries instead of 1, and other things associated with diesels--all more costly. You do get more noise up front compared to a pusher. Tradeoffs!
I miss the turbo-charge boost of the diesel which provided the same power at any altitude. The gas engine really works hard at 10,000 ft, but does the job if slower. I thought front engine diesels like the FRED and Workhorse D would be interesting, but the coach makers don't offer many and have even discontinued front diesel models. I guess the diesel chassis cost too much more for that line of coaches.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstud View Post
Dunner I did the headers first because the manifolds do not flow well and I had exhaust leak at the #1 exhaust port do to the 6mm studs breaking which i have read is common problem for the triton engine. I noticed a improvement just from the headers alone. They are long flow headers although not as long as the banks headers but there half the cost as well. They did help are mileage too. Last year we were on a road trip through Cali,nevada, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, new Mexico, and Arizona and we actually go 10mpg running at 55mph with no a/c on. Most the time its 8-9 mpg average.
Thanks for the reply. More than I asked for but more than welcome.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #24

You cant beat a diesel for pulling power and you just about cant wear them out its the only way I would pull a toad.BUT I can't afford one neither the initial cost or upkeep. Pull a toad with a gasser and you will wear it out in no time. And the engine about sits in your lap and when you are pullin the grades here in Colorado might as well turn off the radio because the gassers scream going up those grades and you cant hear anything but mucho noise. If I could afford itI would buy the diesel hands down. But my military retirement pay aint that good.
Happy Trails
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by two2go View Post
I was born with an extra "cheap" chromosome, so naturally I evaluated gas vs. diesel coaches. Our previous setup was a 30' 5th wheel and Ram pickup with a diesel engine, which I loved.
I had the "cheap" brainwashed into me at an early age. I just sold my 33" toy hauler that I pulled with an up-rated `97 CTD. 9 mpg towing at 72 mph and 22 at 80 not towing.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
You cant beat a diesel for pulling power and you just about cant wear them out its the only way I would pull a toad.BUT I can't afford one neither the initial cost or upkeep. Pull a toad with a gasser and you will wear it out in no time.
So, does that mean I'm going to wear out my V-10 towing a 20' enclosed with a 1900# sandrail and support gear?

Old 06-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #27

What is the weight of trailer with everything in it?

How many miles do you plan on in a year?
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #28

Don't have the trailer yet. Maybe 6k. About 6k a year to the dunes. According to my warranty, anything that doesn't meet manufacturers specs is covered. So, if the motor wears out, I get a new or rebuilt one or the worn parts replaced for $200.

Tags
gas