Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2016, 01:26 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Not sure how far you are from Brazels but I would take it there for another opinion. However, first sample the oil. I can't imagine how that could happen in 15K miles unless it was out of oil but that doesn't sound like it was the case.
Agreed. I would also send out an oil sample to Blackstone labs if Oregon Truck didn't change it out. I'm not a fan of them. Had friends take their coach to them last year for a pre-purchase inspection on a coach they were buying.
They missed so many things it was a waste of money. Good luck.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 11:22 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Workhorse W22 chassis or ford F53? The Workhorse of that vintage did have rear axle seal problems, and they may never have been fixed in a low mileage rig like that. The differential is a much more rare problem, but not inconceivable. I would ask a lot of questions and probably get a second opinion.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by meant2shop View Post
2006 Pace Arrow 37C - We dropped off our Class A Fleetwood Pace Arrow (Gas powered) to Oregon LT TRUCK and RV in Medford OR for an oil change and some other minor repairs after a 3000 trip...

... A week later, we called to inquire how everything was going and when we could get our rig back. We were told that they discovered a problem with our rear differential, which the mechanic discovered when he had the engine running and he then walked to the rear of the rig and heard a suspicious noise coming from the rear (which we'd never heard).
He took an oil sample and it "has chunks of metal in it", so they'll need to open and tear down the rear differential to find the problem, and, hopefully, only need to replace the affected parts...
It sure brought back memories of a TV report I saw many years ago, either 60 minutes or 20/20, where an undercovered RV couple were told a similar story by a pair of repair shop hooligans who rigged the couple's RV differential gears with contaminated grease and metal shavings and then tried to scam them out of $1k.

The TV reporter was following up on other RVers who complained about the scam. There were cameras rigged in the chassis capturing the misdeeds.

When confronted later by the reporter and the video, they took off and skipped town in an old beater while the camera was rolling.

I hope you diagnose and solve you "problem", if any at all.

Safe travels,

Julius
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:10 AM   #18

I think the issue here is that it sounds like the shop already drained the oil so an analysis is probably not possible. On the larger diffs there is no back cover so the only option is to pull the axle shafts and then the 3rd member. Tough situation. I know if I didn't have it checked out it would drive me crazy wondering if I was going to have an issue out on the road. Much less expensive and way more convenient to have it checked at home. Like others have mentioned I think I would take it to a good truck axle shop.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:16 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
General Motors tech for 30 years here, I sense a case of fraud here. If there were any abnormal noises from your differential you would have likely heard them. The ring and pinion gears on a heavy chassis can and will make some whine noises while driving, that in itself is no reason to have the diff opened up. A more common problem with your differential would be a pinion or side bearing failure, or maybe an axle bearing due to the "leak". A road test and quick sample of gear oil will eliminate a lot of the possible scenarios. If you do have a bearing failure, which is most likely, there will be furry metal on the magnetic drain plug. Some amount of furry stuff on the drain plug is normal for any differential, if there are larger particles that would indicate a problem. Contaminated gear oil does not need to be analyzed, it is pretty straightforward what is in it. Look at your invoice that you paid for, if there was not a considerable amount of gear oil on the invoice they probably did not drain it out, quality gear oil is upwards of $15 or $20 a qt and your diff probably holds a few gallons.

I would get a second opinion, but be careful even doing that, service advisors and techs are all paid on commission and a nice diff overhaul will make them smile. It is unfortunate that shops prey on RVers, and use the old "you don't want to break down on the road" bit. Be skeptical, ask questions, take pictures, be present when they drain the oil, ask for all of the old parts back and match them up with the invoice.

50k miles would be a good drain and refill interval, gear oil does break down after a while. Change your hub oil while you're at it.

Be safe, keep up posted.
Agaveguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, gas