Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2018, 01:10 PM   #43

So northmark what kind of car or trucks do you drive. do they have carpet or leather seats or nav center or sun roof or air conditioning or power seats.wifi, Bluetooth, seat warmers, separate temps fpor passenger driver. seats that have auto settings for different drivers, dvd player for passengers, traction control , rear backup camera. and now driver accident prevention. wow there is more but what if that stuff breaks? . all that stuff can break so you better just get a work truck as they don't have these thing you say deisel pickups or dp's do, I've never personally seen a deisel work stock truck..is this the same comparison you are referring to in coaches?? or do I have it wrong. I think I can get a new work truck for 30+g but trucks I looked at were 55g to 80g.. same with cars or suv's
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2018, 01:42 PM   #44

If you purchase a higher end gas coach, I.e. Tiffin or Newmar, you will still have a large amount of money saved verses a comparable sized diesel coach. I ordered a Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA and had Liquid Springs installed while the coach was being built. It rides better and is less effected by wind or highly crowned roads than a 36 foot entry level diesel pusher that I had a few years ago. While an expensive upgrade, the ride quality and handling improvements are amazing.
McCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:06 PM   #45

I always answer this the same way:
It’s all about the ride that the iron spring rig can’t provide.
Air ride and the magical tag axel are the finest formula.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #46

Might be true for you but a lot of us disagree. At any rate, $75,000-$100,000 is a lot to pay for a little smoother ride. But, hey, it's your money.

I only drive a couple hours a day so maybe ride is not as big an issue for me as it is for you. And the difference is, in my opinion, minuscule anyway. Maybe these newer heavier Ford chassis on 22.5 tires are a better than you think.

As far interior fit and finish, my gas Newmar is finished just like a diesel Newmar. Other than floor tile and the dog house you can't really tell the difference between a Canyon Star and a Ventana interior.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I like the fact that when I am leaving town to avoid a hurricane...I can pull into a truck stop and buy diesel in the truck lanes. The gas pumps are lined up with cars all the way to the highway and beyond...and many times they have already depleted their supplies of gasoline.

The diesel chassis can carry more...the rear pusher reduces the effect of sound, heat, vibration, being close to the driver...I do not know what the warranty is on the Ford...but the Cummins/Freightliner warranty is pretty nice, if you are buying a new rig. I also like the 6-Speed Allison Transmission, Air suspension, air brakes, air horn, 3-position Jake brake... Comfort steer on the Newmar diesels...diesel runs our generator and hot water/furnace too...

The deciding factor is regulated by use and cost. It wouldn’t be a great idea to buy a diesel, if it’s going to be parked in a resort for 6-months and stored for 6-months. However, if you are going to drive this thing cross country, and move from location to location...possibly carrying more cargo with you than the average weekender...then you may find the added investment in diesel a worthwhile endeavor.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:19 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I always answer this the same way:
It’s all about the ride that the iron spring rig can’t provide.
Air ride and the magical tag axel are the finest formula.

^^^This. If your on the fence do one of two things. Go ahead and buy the DP or do not test drive a DP because ignorance can be bliss and you won’t know what your missing.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:44 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
So northmark what kind of car or trucks do you drive. do they have carpet or leather seats or nav center or sun roof or air conditioning or power seats.wifi, Bluetooth, seat warmers, separate temps fpor passenger driver. seats that have auto settings for different drivers, dvd player for passengers, traction control , rear backup camera. and now driver accident prevention. wow there is more but what if that stuff breaks? . all that stuff can break so you better just get a work truck as they don't have these thing you say deisel pickups or dp's do, I've never personally seen a deisel work stock truck..is this the same comparison you are referring to in coaches?? or do I have it wrong. I think I can get a new work truck for 30+g but trucks I looked at were 55g to 80g.. same with cars or suv's
My preference is for a work truck with vinyl seats and rubber on the floor. I get as close as I can. Right now it's a Ford Ranger with a V-6 and manual transmission. Basic radio with CD player and a jack where I can plug in my MP3 player. She has a mid grade Escape. Neither of us are into the big fancy car bit. Too many electronics are just more stuff to break.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:50 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waywards View Post
G-iesel! Yeah, that would solve the problem
Do a search for Ethanol in Diesel fuel. It's in the infant stage now.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:57 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Might be true for you but a lot of us disagree. At any rate, $75,000-$100,000 is a lot to pay for a little smoother ride. But, hey, it's your money.

I only drive a couple hours a day so maybe ride is not as big an issue for me as it is for you. And the difference is, in my opinion, minuscule anyway. Maybe these newer heavier Ford chassis on 22.5 tires are a better than you think.

As far interior fit and finish, my gas Newmar is finished just like a diesel Newmar. Other than floor tile and the dog house you can't really tell the difference between a Canyon Star and a Ventana interior.

Mine was used. I know your new Newmar gasser is pretty. Please, enjoy the pretty, cuz there are many roads that will disappoint you, if you travel!
Old 11-07-2018, 09:05 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
I like the fact that when I am leaving town to avoid a hurricane...I can pull into a truck stop and buy diesel in the truck lanes. The gas pumps are lined up with cars all the way to the highway and beyond...and many times they have already depleted their supplies of gasoline.

If there are lineups at the pumps, y’all waited too long.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:26 PM   #53

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I found this posted by Mr. D on another thread --

"What do you call "reasonable"? On my 2009, purchased in 2015 they offered a service policy for about $9,000. But by the time I got the offer paperwork the engine had dropped a valve in #6 so it was too late to do me any good. Ended up costing us $22,000 + the repairs to the rig that Cummins NW in Portland OR."

------------------------------------------------

Ouch, and that's one of the reasons why I prefer gas.
I know of another Country Coach that also dropped a valve in #6 and went the deluxe route and it cost him $40,000. He's Canadian and had the rebuild done in the US so I'm not sure if US$ or Canadian$.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:07 AM   #54

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are not full timers yet so our Gas MH is fine for us.The ride is acceptable and I can do my own maintenance so that keeps costs low.Sure I'd love to have a high dollar DP and some day we might buy one,but for now I am content.I believe our Dolphin is one of the nicest Gas MH's I have been in.The fit and finish is nice and the DW loves the real wood cherry cabinets and Corian counters.
gvette85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:24 AM   #55

"I should have been a truck driver". If you feel like this on long car trips etc... Get the diesel. If you enjoy the getting there as much as the being there... Get the diesel. If you can afford it... Get the diesel. We're 3 months into our new DP. Have not looked back, don't regret the extra money spent and have not been home much! It is what it is. I know of no advantages in buying the gas coach.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:33 AM   #56

The view is the same for the gasser and the DP. After that, they are different in every way. How are you going to use it? We had gassers several years ago and they were fine for what we did then. One or two trips a year towing a minivan. We were happy with the ride and storage that our 34 and 36' coaches provided. In the last 20 years our needs have changed. We travel about 10,000 miles per year and tow either a 6400# Avalanche or an 8500# trailer with an offroad Jeep. We also wanted the stability and smoother ride of a DP with a tag. There is not a gas coach on the market that can do what we want/need. I am no longer concerned with overloading or listening the a screaming engine when climbing over an 11,000' mountain pass. I just add fuel and hit the road. 10 hour days are relaxing and stress free. I know it all costs more than our gas coaches did, but everything about the experience is worth the difference to us.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, diesel, gas