Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2018, 09:48 PM   #113

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jryan39 View Post
We were absolutely new to the RV world back in 2016 and looked at both Gas & Diesel's. We ended up purchasing a 40' Newmar. We looked at diesel Newmar products and found both to be very similar in the interior & exterior. Yes have to agree that going up hills I will get passed by the diesel pushers but since we are not in a hurry the additional time is minimal. As far as our toad we have a Pontiac GrandAm which is light so we do feel a little drag going up hills but in the end the $$ we saved purchasing a gas coach was worth it in our opinion. Oh, yes you need to learn how to throttle you V-10 during hill climbs otherwise the engine RPM will work up to 5K or so and the noise in the front is significant but down shifting and keeping the RPM around 4K keeps the noise down and you can actually talk without screaming to your co-pilot. We haven been in DP and yes the ride is smother and the power much better but is it worth the added $$. Good luck just remember your in a Motor Home that weights >13 tons so its not made for racing up hills...
I have a 2009 Pace Arrow 38P with a W24 chassis have put 20,000 miles in less then 2 years from Devils Tower Yoming , Blue Ridge mountais TN, Estes Park Colorado, Bar Harbour MN.
I have never had any inconvinience for the price and the ammenities in this coach in diesel would cost $$50,000 more for older coach where the diesel maintenance will be much more. But the benefits longevity and power of a DP chassis and power train have no comparison. It all comes down to how much you use per year and how deep are your pockets.
Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2018, 09:52 PM   #114

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
39ft tow a Xterra up and down hills with no problem. Like said before If I am RVing I am not racing.Click image for larger version

Name:	20161220_153324.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	225708
Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:23 AM   #115

Newmar Owners Club
We have owned both. We owned a 2018 36ft Jayco Precept gas. We would still own that unit if it wasn't a lemon. We now own a 2018 Newmar King Aire. Driving is night and day. The big difference for me is going down hill. With the gas in a lower gear (which you have to select) I felt like the engine was revving too high and I had to use the brake. Did not make me feel safe. Going down the side of a mountain is a breeze in a DP. The engine breaking has three levels and it slows you down without drama or issue. Safety. Let's talk about gas mileage. What you lose in mileage with gas you make up for in price. Gas is cheaper than diesel at the pump. This is a wash. We will never own a gas again just for the safety factor.
Zarbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:09 AM   #116

The decision for me wasn't a hard one. I didn't want a new coach. I didn't want gas based on several friends of mine with gas coaches. People complain about the added costs of diesels. Very little maintenance is needed until 100K miles other than fuel filters, oil changes, and possibly an air filter. I honestly haven't seen that with the gas coaches. Most of them will see engine service. Mileage ….mine averaged slightly over 11 over a 3400 mi round trip.

Diesels cost more for an oil change but generally will go longer 12-15K miles I am told. Gas... you'll be adding oil and generally will be changing at roughly 6K from what I am told. Diesel fuel is higher in cost but diesels coaches generally get more MPH. Torque....the diesel has it and at a low boringly slow RPM.

I budgeted 40K for a really clean low mileage Diesel pusher and I got what I wanted with the exception after being in the mountains I found I needed more power.

Everyone is going to have a different idea, different requirements and such.
Coachmen Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:17 AM   #117

gas vs diesel

We are fairly new (two years) to RVing but we decided to buy a used DP right from the start. We have put twenty thousand miles on our rig. Two trips across the country and back, so we are glad we have the diesel.

But, as others have mentioned, maintaining this machine can be expensive. I am able to do most of the work so it is not too bad for me, but just as an example, it holds 6 gallons of oil instead of six quarts. I try to keep up with the maintenance and we took it to the Spartan factory this past summer for a check up. They found some things I never would have found and I believe it was money well spent.

So if you are going to drive a lot and either can do work your self or afford to pay others, I think diesel is great. Otherwise, gas may be better for you.
WVPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:10 AM   #118

I agree with the first comment. If you have the means go for the diesel. However you need a LOT of means. Not only the initial cost but maintenance and repairs can be very costly. Think about when it needs repairs the garage is going to charge $150-$200 per hour and the first few hours they spend disassembling your bedroom just to access the engine.
I’m a middle class working man putting two kids through a private school. My gas engine 37’ Fleetwood is wonderful! Sure sometimes I find myself in the right lane climbing a steep grade behind a slow moving semi-truck. But eventually we get there. A little slower but we make it.
Shawn143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:13 AM   #119

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarbek View Post
We have owned both. We owned a 2018 36ft Jayco Precept gas. We would still own that unit if it wasn't a lemon. We now own a 2018 Newmar King Aire. Driving is night and day. The big difference for me is going down hill. With the gas in a lower gear (which you have to select) I felt like the engine was revving too high and I had to use the brake. Did not make me feel safe. Going down the side of a mountain is a breeze in a DP. The engine breaking has three levels and it slows you down without drama or issue. Safety. Let's talk about gas mileage. What you lose in mileage with gas you make up for in price. Gas is cheaper than diesel at the pump. This is a wash. We will never own a gas again just for the safety factor.

What an upgrade! There is no comparison between a Jayco and a King Aire.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:17 AM   #120

Tiffin Owners Club
RV SMACKDOWN – DIESEL VS GAS https://www.gonewiththewynns.com/rv-diesel-or-gas
Old 11-12-2018, 07:26 AM   #121

gas vs diesel

We just switched from a 34ft Gas to a 40ft Diesel. I concur with all the pros and cons that everyone has mentioned. I might have missed it, but another big pro for Diesel, is at the pump. No, definitely not the price of Diesel, but the availability to pull into any Truck Stop and know you can fill up with all the space and maneuvering room you need. With Gas Motorhome and pulling tow vehicle you're normally limited to using a regular gas station setup for cars. On the road at an unfamiliar location, you have to be able to quickly access a gas station's layout, to see if you can get in and out without getting blocked in.
ARobitzsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:38 AM   #122

If you can afford it-
GO DIESEL
We went from a 34' gas that would have been fine for full timing to a 40' diesel in order to manage crosswinds, get up hills, reduce noise, smoother ride and better handling.
My husband has doubled how far he drives in a day and we don't have to look for a place to stay when the wind is gusting anymore. We had done almost everything we could to improve the gas one, huge stabilizer bar, extra air bags, better tires and next step was to try power pack but went diesel and are so very glad.
Nanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:40 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarbek View Post
I would hope the difference between a $150k gas unit and a $900k diesel would be significant.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:13 AM   #124

Expense

For those of us that work and live in our Rigs yes a DP would be nice but when the money is the question it is easy. We had our 2018 Thor Challenger 37 LX insulated and the engine noise was drastically reduced, The issue of maintenance was easy, $56.00 oil change at my local mechanic compared to $300.00 plus on a DP. Things like exhaust oil that is something fairly new will cost you more every year. Finding someone to work on the motor can be a challenge. When any Ford dealer will fix any issue you might have on the road. You could probably say the same for a DP accept when you blow a fuel pump we paid $1,200.00 at a ford dealer and I was told if I had a DP it would have broken the bank. I love the idea of a Pusher but for me simple is better. The new Rigs are working toward the same amenities and the differece for me comes down to expense, I am working toward retirement and every penny counts. 8 more years and wee will be on the road 52 weeks a year. For the past 2 years we have been parked in Las Vegas due to work and make trips to Florida 2 times a year and long weekends. Power is not an issue with the V-10 and I don't get in a hurry so there is no difference to me. The price for our new Thor was $196,000 paid it down to 96k and have a small mortgage. Sold our home and downsized so there is less clutter and less expense, $1900.00 mortgage, power, water, sewer. Expenses for living is less than $1,000.00 per month DP or Gas it is a good life.
Attached Images

alarmingfrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:19 AM   #125

Wow! lots of responses but the first few covered all of the bases....but I have nothing better to do but add my 2 cents.

If you are very well healed it does not matter what you get, any RV will do. However those who evaluate what you spend your money on and cost benefit need to have an idea of what you plan to do with the RV.
As a retired couple , full timers, we decided to purchase what we could pay cash for.
After our first year of lots of travel 20K the next few years will likely be no more than 10K each. Realistically we don't expect to be living on the road in our 80's.
So 5 to 7 years is likely our longest journey.
It also depends on your ability to let go of your stuff, We see too many people who have these huge rigs towing huge trailers and we agree you will want lots of power.

So to avoid repeating all the pro's and con's. You should remember a RV is a depreciating asset, the more you spend the more it will depreciate over the first few years. Diesel pushers cost a lot more to own & maintain but a high end one can easily last 20 years and you could get your moneys worth. Or not. In our second year of full timing we have yet to see a 20 year ,old coach, with the exception of a couple of neat conversions. We do see lots of $250K + coaches in storage yards.

Just something to think about.

2011 Newmar Baystar 2901 (30') gas Towing 2016 Nissan Versa on ACME dolly
photobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:38 AM   #126

First motor home experience was trying out a neighbor’s 90s 454 powered 34ft Foretravel. He was proud of the $4500 performance up grade to the motor. Early in the test, I entered the on ramp at the base of a WNC hill with my foot flat on the floor. The roaring 20MPH was held to the top of the hill and we went racing to the bottom where I exited for the return. Wheezed back and thanked him for the experience. Turned off on motor home adventures. A few years later, another friend offered up his 36 ft Fleetwood Bounder 5.9 DP, no slides. It was to be a hunting vehicle since motels in the remote western hunting areas I enjoyed were becoming harder to find. After two years and wondering what took me so long to get a mobile hunting palace, I stumbled on a low mileage 40 ft HR Endeavor with 14000 miles, two slides and a 6.9 Cummins. Palace became a mansion on wheels but at 80 years young and 50000 miles later, was thinking down sizing, ran into a 9 year old Newmar 4526 with 15000 miles, all the bells and whistles, a super side +2, 11.0 Cummins, tag axle. Life is good when you realize you will never take anything with you when your number is called. By the way, Diesel is my favorite perfume and motor oil mixed with grease keeps the hands soft enough for the DW.

Trees
bgtrees is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, diesel, gas