Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2018, 02:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
Always remember, not all DPs are created equal. HP is HP, regardless of diesel or gas. Diesel means it does not down shift as often, but flat out, HP is HP. Now having made that statement, DPs are Turbos, which is able to compensate for altitude power loss. Without a turbo, you loose power with altitude, which you will notice with a non-turbo gas unit. (no one makes a turbo gas unit at this time)
Just check the rpm where those HPs are rated.
I think you will find yourself doing 40-45 uphills and downshifting w pretty high revs to make it.

Doable certainly yes....quiet...comfortable.... and not frustrating....probably not.

Have had both...
31ft gasser towing wasn't to bad but I don't think I'd have felt the same w a 40ftr.
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2018, 06:08 PM   #16

We had a 1999 F53 National with a Ford V10. We towed a 1999 Toyota Camry.

We crossed the Rockies over and back. No problem with the ride but it was Noisy with the engine upfront and straining to go a decent speed.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Just check the rpm where those HPs are rated.
I think you will find yourself doing 40-45 uphills and downshifting w pretty high revs to make it.

Doable certainly yes....quiet...comfortable.... and not frustrating....probably not.
Yes, a point not to be ignored. Gas engines get their power from RPM. Diesel achieves its power from torque. Power to weight determines the speed you will go up the hill. Torque will determine how pleasant that assent will be. The diesel may actually be slower up the hill, but yet more pleasant.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:14 PM   #18

We have a 37' with V10 and pull jeep wangler, im very very impressed with ford f53, Im a Chevy guy. ones you get the feel of driving you can keep RPM'S down around 2300 flat land and over hills 3500-4000. We just went on a 5000 mile run on 1-40, i-10 and had a great time. Braking? it just takes a little time and there no problem . Floor plan is most important thing i believe.
RideAHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:14 PM   #19

Our small coach is only 28 feet long,and tows a Ford Escape with little to no problem most places.I 70 from Utah through Colorado was a different story altogether. That's the only area that I watch the speed go way down, and RPM go up. We will just plan a different route next time.It's all about floor plan for us too.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:16 PM   #20

I'm gonna agree with Daveinet here...although the diesel 'clatter' is louder than a petrol engine, the overall effort both have to put out to push your stuff around is going to be WAY different. Since the diesel isn't going to work as hard (and neither are YOU), I would go for the diesel over the petrol. More comfy, overall longer-lived engines, not QUITE as fuel sensitive, and large diesel shops can work on them just as they do with semi tractors. That is, IF it's needed.
ArgoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:37 PM   #21

It is a strange question. A 40' gas coach is extremely rare. I've never seen one. If Vic is still here, (he hasn't responded since hie original post two days ago) he needs to become more informed of the chassis/engine combinations available in his price range to be able to get meaningful responses from the forum.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:03 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The modern Ford V10 will get you, the coach and your tow vehicle anywhere in North America on improved roads as long as you stay within the design weight limitations of the coach/chassis. Higher elevations (8K or so and above) will slow you down with the thinner air. You won't be winning any races to the top but it will get you there. On the other side of the mountain down shifting will help keep your speed down but you need to get the speed down before starting a decent and downshift early.

Regarding the tail swing and such of a gas coach, 1/3 of my overall length is behind the rear axle and I tow a 3500 lbs. Honda CR-V. Have visited about every state east of the Mississippi and a few just the other side with the CR-V along for the ride. I40 thru North Carolina and I64 thru West Virginia were probably my largest hills and I had no problem with the CR-V pushing me around. Same for I90 thru Minnesota and South Dakota with winds.

If you acquisition and maintenance budget will allow for higher cost of a diesel rig then by all means go that direction. Personally I've never driven one. I've taken the advice concerning such. Don't test drive one if you're not prepared to buy one.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:10 PM   #23
tvp

The 2016 Newmar Canyon Star 3710 on a F-53 Ford chassis, 26,000 Lbs . Nice layout , smooth ride , lots of CCC, cheap on maintenance [emoji736]
Tow a Honda CRV
Old 01-27-2018, 07:13 AM   #24
tvp

Question : with a F-53 chassis V-10 and 5 Speed tranny , what gear would you go down hill in to reduce breaking? 3rd or 4th ?? 2nd
Old 01-27-2018, 08:02 AM   #25

Response

Thanks to everyone who responded. I am at the beginning of my search and have heard various issues with the gas on steep hills similar to those I will encounter in the pacific NW. I have found several MH in the 38' - 40' range that offer the gas options. I'm a little constrained by budget ($150k) and can find 10 year old DP in fair to good shape and for the same money I can buy the new gas. After reading the responses (thanks again) it allowsed me to reflect on how I will use the MH which is drive to a place to park and then drive the car. On the surface this leads me back to gas. Thoughts?

Thanks

Vic
Vapat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:37 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To tvp's question... General rule of thumb, whatever gear you used to get up the hill, that's what you use to go back down. Your tow/haul should be engaged so that your transmission will select the lower gear on its own based on you hitting the brake. If 4th doesn't give you enough engine braking to start with, drop it down to 3rd. Just make sure you've hit the brakes hard enough to decrease your speed before you do to get your RPM's to a range where you can make the downshift to 3rd.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:09 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
If your set on the 40' area I would find a cherry in DP at $130000(gives extra $$ for any updates or repairs IE; batteries, tires or???) range in the 06 area, there are many around. Or jump to the later DEF motors again there are many around in your price range. Don't just look at HP, look at torque in the 1200 or more area. The diesels will have a somewhat better ride and more upgrade amenities and will have more towing power and most have an exhaust brake or true Jake brake that does an good job. Even with the larger diesels you will at times find yourself at a lower speed grinding up hill.
That said in the northwest you will be climbing the mountains for 10-12 minutes even heading over the rocky's. In your budget range a new gas coach could be there or a very slightly used with the 6 speed trans that gives better uphill power and downhill braking.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:18 AM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp View Post
Question : with a F-53 chassis V-10 and 5 Speed tranny , what gear would you go down hill in to reduce breaking? 3rd or 4th ?? 2nd
As Mike8253 said, in general use the same gear you went up the hill. Some caveats to that though, I've seldom seen a hill or mountain pass that was symmetrical, so you might find yourself descending a steeper grade than you climbed in some sections. In hilly country, your tachometer and engine temperature are much more important than your speed. While ascending a hill, if the temperature is climbing, you are likely in too low a gear and you should downshift. Don't worry about speed, use pull-outs and let the speedier folks go past you, Maccie will still have plenty of hamburgers when you get to the next town.

As to reducing breaking, make sure you don't over-rev the engine descending, the engine ECU will limit your RPMS climbing, it will also cut ignition (gas) or fuel (diesel & gas) when getting into dangerous RPM ranges. Rough treatment of the transmission, like jumping one or two gears, is generally bad for it and the rest of the drivetrain. Now braking is another thing, I imagine my brakes lined with dollar bills, any application of brakes costs me money. Use the brakes for stopping or a sharp reduction of speed, don't ride the brake pedal to control speed while descending, use the correct transmission gear, suppress your ego and let folks go zooming by you.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, class a, gas