Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2015, 10:29 PM   #1

Class A Gas with high CCC

I am looking for a gas Class A, 31 - 35', with at least a 5000# CCC. I have done my research, weighed my stuff, and I'm not looking at options like leaving some of it behind. I will consider a diesel A if can't find a gas one that works. Note, I will be selling my house as soon as I get the RV, and will learn the practical parts I need as I am falling off the cliff <g>.

It is almost impossible to find the CCC information on the internet, even on the current RVs, that will allow me to calculate the CCC value. Usually, it only has GVWR, and without other figures, even if they aren't exact, I can't tell what I'm comparing it to.

I am well-read, but new to the RV life, so I've only seen one so far that fits the bill -- the Fleetwood 31 TS Terra (2014). Even this one is an estimate since it wasn't weighed in my sight (22,000 - 15,500 = 6498 with 2 slides), but I am looking at other possible candidates. And yes, I realize that the actual weight might be higher than this, but it is enough to give me some head room.

Thanks in advance...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2015, 11:01 PM   #2

I have found the info in the RV Consumer Guide to be helpful in vetting a MH purchase. With the guide you can view CCC and other helpful info. The guide was money well spent for me in my last two private purchase MHs.

RV Consumer Group - We Rate RVs

gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:44 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I take it you are looking at new, or slightly used? Or are you looking at Vintage? I know nothing about the new or slightly used? Vintage, I do know that the older coaches that were gas built on the Oshkosh chassis had a very large CC built into them! More info please? Rail!
Old 02-11-2015, 08:28 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You can get close to that by ordering a new 30-32 ft unit built on a 24,000 chassis Ford chassis. The Tiffin 31SA is an example.

I'm more interested in how you came up with this 5000lb CCC need. We are fulltimers and we don't need anything near that. Plus, you won't find the storage space in any motorhome to store that much stuff unless you are talking a 45' tag axle coach.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:37 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
What you want to carry is your business, but my first thought was the same as "luvlabs". Unless you plan on carrying around gold or silver bars, you won't find a Class A gasser that has a 5K CCC that will have large enough storage. It becomes a "Catch 22" situation. Small coach, with small storage, equals high CCC. Large coach, with larger storage, equals more coach weight and less CCC.

To get that kind of CCC you'll probably have to go with a DP. Another factor......if you add 5K to storage and then pull a toad, you'll be looking at adding at least 8K-9K to the coach. It will be a dog in the hills and the mileage will suck, even more than normal.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:41 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to DonaandDon
Thanks gruelens. Great learning tool.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:42 AM   #7

You have done your research? This thread is research. Every day is research.

Each mfg discloses this information on the coach as it is relative to the coaches options chosen...but unless you weight each wheel on a loaded chassis you may end up overweight and some of the coaches arrive with one axle near the weight limit before you load. Or that you may fail to make use of all your ccc because of placement limitations.

That if you buy a Newmar Canyon Star, for example, that comes standard with a 24k chassis, you can option it up to a 26k chassis, but you can't do that with a 22k chassis standard Bay Star model (per Newmar...I asked). If you research the Ford chassis you find that the only difference is heavier springs between the 24 and 26k chassis.

Smart buy: a used rebuilt HD semi, then you can pull what you want...forget Class A gas or Class A dp, as some dp owners still can not carry all they want and have surprise space limitations that limit where they can put their gold bars. And yes, I intend to carry my gold bars with me and sleep with them under my bed.

Check it out: http://rvhaulers.ca

You can carry your gold bars and tow a dp all in one load.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljjohnson99 View Post
I am looking for a gas Class A, 31 - 35', with at least a 5000# CCC. I have done my research, weighed my stuff, and I'm not looking at options like leaving some of it behind. I will consider a diesel A if can't find a gas one that works. Note, I will be selling my house as soon as I get the RV, and will learn the practical parts I need as I am falling off the cliff <g>.

It is almost impossible to find the CCC information on the internet, even on the current RVs, that will allow me to calculate the CCC value. Usually, it only has GVWR, and without other figures, even if they aren't exact, I can't tell what I'm comparing it to.

I am well-read, but new to the RV life, so I've only seen one so far that fits the bill -- the Fleetwood 31 TS Terra (2014). Even this one is an estimate since it wasn't weighed in my sight (22,000 - 15,500 = 6498 with 2 slides), but I am looking at other possible candidates. And yes, I realize that the actual weight might be higher than this, but it is enough to give me some head room.

Thanks in advance...

Since you are planning full time living, you need to be visiting lots of dealers and RV shows. You need to do some test drives also. Have you made any guesses as to annual travel miles vs time in one spot. Is this for a couple or a family with kids?

I would look for gas and diesel concurrently. A full timer with a big need for CCC may be happier with diesel. If you are looking at used, both Country Coach and Monaco built some 38-40 coaches with a tag axle. Those things had 10-12k of CCC.

The thing you must realize about weight capacity is that you must also worry about axle weights. It's common to have GAWR on the front axle or rear axle that can't be used because you go over weight on the other. If you have a tag axle, some of the weight can be shifted between axles by the amount of pressure you put on the tag.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:59 AM   #9

Do you really mean "CCC"?

That's an old term.

CCC = GVWR - (UVW + Water + Propane + SCWR)

(Where SCWR = # sleeping positions x 154 lbs)

The latest term is OCCC (since June 2008).

OCCC = GVWR - (UVW + Propane)

You can see CCC and OCCC differ by water weight and SCWR (over 1300 pounds difference on my motorhome).

5000 CCC is very rare, even on diesels. 5000 OCCC would still be rare, but some are out there.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:31 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
I'm more interested in how you came up with this 5000lb CCC need. We are fulltimers and we don't need anything near that. Plus, you won't find the storage space in any motorhome to store that much stuff unless you are talking a 45' tag axle coach.
If it's your only home and you are a prepper you do...
Old 02-11-2015, 02:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
I take it you are looking at new, or slightly used? Or are you looking at Vintage? I know nothing about the new or slightly used? Vintage, I do know that the older coaches that were gas built on the Oshkosh chassis had a very large CC built into them! More info please? Rail!
Darn, forgot to mention -- 2011 - 2014
Old 02-11-2015, 02:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
What you want to carry is your business, but my first thought was the same as "luvlabs". Unless you plan on carrying around gold or silver bars, you won't find a Class A gasser that has a 5K CCC that will have large enough storage. It becomes a "Catch 22" situation. Small coach, with small storage, equals high CCC. Large coach, with larger storage, equals more coach weight and less CCC.

To get that kind of CCC you'll probably have to go with a DP. Another factor......if you add 5K to storage and then pull a toad, you'll be looking at adding at least 8K-9K to the coach. It will be a dog in the hills and the mileage will suck, even more than normal.

Well, I already know of at least one -- the Fleetwood 31 Tara TS. Adequate storeage to, since some of the weigh is fairly condensed. Just trying to find other options. I won't buy over 35' (cost, and other reasons), and would prefer 31' - 35'.

Mileage won't normally be too much of a problem, planning on longish stays at each point.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Do you really mean "CCC"?

That's an old term.

CCC = GVWR - (UVW + Water + Propane + SCWR)

(Where SCWR = # sleeping positions x 154 lbs)

The latest term is OCCC (since June 2008).

OCCC = GVWR - (UVW + Propane)

You can see CCC and OCCC differ by water weight and SCWR (over 1300 pounds difference on my motorhome).

5000 CCC is very rare, even on diesels. 5000 OCCC would still be rare, but some are out there.
-----------------------

Actually, I believe I meant CCC. I added people, dogs, cats, all fuels/water full, 35 extra gal water in water bricks (assuming 60 gal tank). Also weights for extensive solar panels. Plan on boondocking (after learning more above the practical rather than theoretical parts) most of the time.

The 5000# is not an option to me, it is a deal-breaker if not there.

Tags
class a, gas