Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2017, 07:04 AM   #1

Class A gasser

Im in the market for a USED class A gasser for FT travel. I was originally going for a used DP, but life happens and had to lower my dream..so for a gasser, what is a good milage per year? Is it the 10k that is recommended for cars? Or would a 17-ish $20000 used DP going to be a POS? Not interested in "save your money" lectures.
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2017, 07:18 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look for well maintained Newmars or Tiffins. Both companies build quality products on Ford F53 chassis and provide good customer support. I’ve owned both. Presently own 2013 Newmar Canyon Star on 26K F53 chassis. Bought new. Great manufacturer support. Pretty much bulletproof. Only added 5Star Tuner.
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:19 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think you will find that most MHs are not driven very much. They spend most of their time parked. Have never seen a average annual mileage for a MH.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:20 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
at $20k, you're in my range... In this price range, low mileage has its problems, just as high mileage.. Something between 50 and 80k should be reasonable.

If you're a DIYer, you can find a very, very nice MH in this price range. The variables in this equation for me were, ride quality, build quality, operational expense, maintenance ease.

Its been my experience that a DP doesn't gain you anything except higher cost. I was searching for high end build quality, and was able to find it in the less expensive gas models. Ride quality wasn't a big factor.

The issue with this price range will be age and condition. The condition will most likely be there are things that are broken that need to be fixed.. The more knowledge you have the better position you'll be in to identify and fix these issues.

If you need to write a check for everything you want repaired, this will either be a money pit, or maintenance will go unperformed..

I specifically search for a Ford F53 chassis, as I 'm familiar with it.. The MH that we bought was in good shape, had good bones, and after a little time fixing and repairing, we have a top quality MH that reliable and usable. You can take a look at the issues we dealt with on the used purchase.. I suspect most MHs of this age would have similar issues..

We do all our own repairs. As of today, I have a little under 20k tied up in it, and this includes the recent paint job,..

http://www.1999southwind.com/

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:47 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I went thru this several years ago - Here are a few things I learned:
Winter is a great time to buy when looking for value (cost to quality).
5K miles a year and 10 years old is a good target for a used motorhome. Expect to put an additional $5K into maintenance the 1st couple years.
Make sure the generator has a few hundred hours on it - 1 hour per month is just basic maintenance for a generator.
Look at it 2 ways - house construction/condition and chassis (ford or chevy/workhorse)
I found the ones with aluminum framing (vs wood) were in better shape and hold up better in wet climates (less likely to be damaged by a leak).
Try to buy local and get some instruction from the seller - craigslist worked for me.
I learned a lot shopping around - each private seller I talked to increased my knowledge. The commercial shops mostly blew smoke - sales pitch vs info.
Tire age is important. They may look good but after 10 years they need replaced (sooner in a hot/dry/sunny climate).
You need to be or learn to be a DIYer with a used RV - simple systems but there are a lot of them.

Good luck and try to enjoy the shopping - it should be fun to spend $20K of hard earned $$.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:55 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Gasser A

We just bought a 2015 Vista (4 months ago) with 7,500 miles on it. Plan to use it around 20,000 miles per year (that is my history with a B+ for 10 years).

F53 is getting 7.5 mpg (tested for 5,600 miles).

Avg mileage for a typical RV is 4K-7K per year (please, all you FT'ers dont flame me) as has been mentioned most sit for most of the year.

You either need to go 3 years old or less with 15,000 miles or less for $65K or you need to go 5-8 years old with 40,000+ miles for 30K to find a good rig. We researched for a year to find the one we bought.

If you find an older rig (>5 years) with low miles it will have problems from sitting. An older rig with some miles is better as it has been used and that means maintained at some level. Sitting rigs keep sitting, used rigs are fixed enough to use and be comfortable.

These fine machines fall apart when you use them (earthquake rolling down the road) or fall apart when sitting .... so you have to expect that.

<3 years old has not been sitting so long that it has rotted or critters have eaten it up.... or the sun has baked it too long.

>5 used with some miles (40K-60K miles) are usually pretty good for the price point. Check them out carefully, have an RV someone inspect it for you! You can find them where people have cared for them quite well.

The ford F53 seems to be a good chassis.. I dont know the workhorse so I cannot comment on it. Look for a GVR of 18K or more. I have a 16K and it does not have much carrying capacity (we do not pull a toad), but we wanted to be under 32 feet.

Hope this helps.. FWIW....

zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:11 AM   #7

Even if you buy a $20k gas rig, it will more than likely need a bunch of work done on it. The last two coachs I have bought needed some TLC. I bought my currant coach about $10,000 below book, BUT it NEEDED $5,000 in upgrades to get it to my standards. That included new tires, TVs, and a few other things. A lot of elbow grease getting the outside cleaned up and polished. It was worth it to me though. There is a huge difference between a $20k and a $30k coach in todays market. Even a $30k coach may need a lot of TLC. My requirement was a 8.1 and an Allison trans and that's the only ones I looked at.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:21 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you want a good gasser look for a Workhorse chassis with the Chev 8.1 engine and the Allison trans, this link will lead you to Newmar coach's in the 2003 to 2009 time zone that Newmar used the WH chassis.
Good luck in your quest.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:03 PM   #9

Our 2003 has around 56,000 miles on it. Can't comment on the Ford chassis, never owned one. Ours has the Workhorse W22 chassis, that was a selling point for me, others will disagree. I've put around a $1,000 dollars into it in the last few years, $800 of that was a set of exhaust headers. It will need new tires in few years but that's always an issue.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:36 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
If you are going FT, be sure to get something you will be comfortable in while parked. Both Ford and Chevy chassis' have their good and bad points, so I won't get into that. I looked at a lot of floor plans before settling on our 38J. Think about how much room you need in bathroom, bedroom, kitchen and living area. I looked at 100's of floor plans. PPL and other sites show floor plans in their adds, so a handy place to look.
If this is your 2nd or 3rd rig, you will have a pretty good idea of what you want and don't want.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:18 PM   #11

My advice is to start by seeing what you can find in fsbo that have been garaged most/all of its life. Which in most cases is 90% of its life.
Huge difference. In every way. And tells you the owner took pride in ownership. Will pay more, but probably worth it.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
My advice is to start by seeing what you can find in fsbo that have been garaged most/all of its life. Which in most cases is 90% of its life.
Huge difference. In every way. And tells you the owner took pride in ownership. Will pay more, but probably worth it.
Might be pretty hard to find a $20k coach that has been garaged most of its life. I've NEVER seen one. Usually for $20k you get a very neglected coach that people just want out of their way, unless it is a very old model.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #13

Luckily, i am mechanically inclined. Nothing but time on my hands. $20000 is a starting point. Im disabled and have spent 3 yrs researching, going to RV shows and such. I had read how DPs are built sturdier because the diesel lasts longer. I had planned on immediately putting new tires and shocks sway bars before ever taking it out. The stripping it out and redoing and fixing things to our liking, DW has to make it homey.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
at $20k, you're in my range... In this price range, low mileage has its problems, just as high mileage.. Something between 50 and 80k should be reasonable.

If you're a DIYer, you can find a very, very nice MH in this price range. The variables in this equation for me were, ride quality, build quality, operational expense, maintenance ease.

Its been my experience that a DP doesn't gain you anything except higher cost. I was searching for high end build quality, and was able to find it in the less expensive gas models. Ride quality wasn't a big factor.

The issue with this price range will be age and condition. The condition will most likely be there are things that are broken that need to be fixed.. The more knowledge you have the better position you'll be in to identify and fix these issues.

If you need to write a check for everything you want repaired, this will either be a money pit, or maintenance will go unperformed..

I specifically search for a Ford F53 chassis, as I 'm familiar with it.. The MH that we bought was in good shape, had good bones, and after a little time fixing and repairing, we have a top quality MH that reliable and usable. You can take a look at the issues we dealt with on the used purchase.. I suspect most MHs of this age would have similar issues..

We do all our own repairs. As of today, I have a little under 20k tied up in it, and this includes the recent paint job,..

http://www.1999southwind.com/

Damn nice job on your southwind! We have alot of ideas regarding what we want to do to our rig(when it is finally here). Just looking on a few sites there are plenty between $20-25000. Some better condition..im looking for one with right around 50000 miles on it.

Tags
class a, gas