RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2019, 10:34 AM   #1

Class A Gasser: Swapping 19" rims and tires to 22.5"

I have seen several post about this but everyone is very unclear. I have a 2018 31z Hurricane that I am coming up on a tire replacement for all 6 (46k miles on the rig). Can you do a direct swap to a 22.5" tire on this unit or any Class A gasser unit for that matter with the F53 chassis?

The reason I ask is because the more expensive Thor models like the Miramar or the Challenger have the 22.5" on them with the same chassis as my Hurricane but does anyone know if there is an actually difference under there other then giving the customer more Class A diesel features but not the diesel pusher price?

Ty!

Amikel0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #2

You would have to reprogram the computer for the taller, larger diameter tires.
Other than fitting in the wheel wells, all you need it new rims for the larger tires.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
You would have to reprogram the computer for the taller, larger diameter tires.
Other than fitting in the wheel wells, all you need it new rims for the larger tires.
So the 22.5 rims and larger tires are a plug and play except for the reprogramming of the computer? Ty for quick response!
Old 10-08-2019, 11:15 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Direct swap? No.

Problem 1 Axle Bolt Pattern. Your 18K lbs chassis used ten bolts to hold the wheels on while all the Ford rigs with 22.5" tires are eight bolt. Availability of 22.5" rims in 6.75" ten bolt pattern might be a problem as there's very little demand. You might end up have to have rims made.

Problem 2 Tire clearance in wheel wells both front and rear. Might end up doing a bit of rubbing

Problem 3 Speedometer error. As mentioned F4Gary. May also effect transmission shift performance as the output shaft RPM to road speed will now be different.

Problem 4 See attached image. Changes the general lines of the coach and gives a lifted look if that's what you want. You have also raised hitch receiver higher and reduced the available lift capacity (movement not weight) of the leveling jacks.

My first list had eight problem. Pared it down to 4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 sunstar 005.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	262943  
Old 10-08-2019, 11:48 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ride height may or may not be a problem, depending on the availability of "proper" sized tires. Case in point: in 1999 Ford released their SuperDuty line of trucks. The F250 and F350 used 16" wheels, while the F450 and F550 went with larger 19.5" wheels, to accomodate much larger brakes. But by specifying the appropriate tire size the F450/F550 tires had the exact same circumference as the F250/F350 tires. One would have to use a tire size calculator to find the appropriate 22.5" tire that would match the current 19.5" tire, if one even exists.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:31 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Direct swap? No.

Problem 1 Axle Bolt Pattern. Your 18K lbs chassis used ten bolts to hold the wheels on while all the Ford rigs with 22.5" tires are eight bolt. Availability of 22.5" rims in 6.75" ten bolt pattern might be a problem as there's very little demand. You might end up have to have rims made.

Problem 2 Tire clearance in wheel wells both front and rear. Might end up doing a bit of rubbing

Problem 3 Speedometer error. As mentioned F4Gary. May also effect transmission shift performance as the output shaft RPM to road speed will now be different.

Problem 4 See attached image. Changes the general lines of the coach and gives a lifted look if that's what you want. You have also raised hitch receiver higher and reduced the available lift capacity (movement not weight) of the leveling jacks.

My neighbor has been looking at doing the above and is running into issues as described by Sweetbriar. It becomes a rim issue when trying to find one that fits the studs. I think part of it was rim width.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Direct swap? No.

So I have seen the pic of the guy that did his class a gaser but the information that was needed seemed to be left out like was it a direct swap or not, etc. Again I see the nicer thor class a gas have the larger rims and Im just wondering how they can accommodate those tires if everything is the same underneath and with the body besides the trims and finishes but if the bolt pattern or the hubs are different that would explain the different tire size because everything else seems to be identical.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:48 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would be concerned with finding a tire size that would maintain the proper rear end gear ratio. Three inch larger diameter wheel is a lot to make up gearing wise.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:50 PM   #9

https://www.amazon.com/Alcoa-Aluminu.../dp/B00IQUXF5S

anybody know if these will work on the 10 lug class a gassers?
Old 10-08-2019, 12:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amikel0315 View Post
So I have seen the pic of the guy that did his class a gaser but the information that was needed seemed to be left out like was it a direct swap or not, etc. Again I see the nicer thor class a gas have the larger rims and Im just wondering how they can accommodate those tires if everything is the same underneath and with the body besides the trims and finishes but if the bolt pattern or the hubs are different that would explain the different tire size because everything else seems to be identical.
That "everything else *seems* to be identical" is an assumption. You should contact the RV manufacturer and inquire, and maybe check with Ford, too.

If this delivered a performance benefit and was cheap/easy to do I suspect you'd see a whole bunch of it. That we do not see it often suggests the cost/benefit ratio is not in your favor.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
That "everything else *seems* to be identical" is an assumption. You should contact the RV manufacturer and inquire, and maybe check with Ford, too.

If this delivered a performance benefit and was cheap/easy to do I suspect you'd see a whole bunch of it. That we do not see it often suggests the cost/benefit ratio is not in your favor.
Just trying to avoid the long weight times on the phone with Ford. I did find on amazon these...https://www.amazon.com/Alcoa-Aluminu.../dp/B00IQUXF5S

10 lug. now to see if we can get an answer on here if they will fit with the tires or not.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amikel0315 View Post
Just trying to avoid the long weight times on the phone with Ford. I did find on amazon these...https://www.amazon.com/Alcoa-Aluminu.../dp/B00IQUXF5S

10 lug. now to see if we can get an answer on here if they will fit with the tires or not.

Good find!

I guess I'm still trying to figure out what advantage accrues from this modification... Perhaps a small improvement in fuel economy?
Old 10-08-2019, 01:24 PM   #13

Check the manufacturer's specifications to see if their coaches have different rear axle gear ratios for their coaches with the two wheel sizes.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:34 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you do make the swap I'd be interested in hearing about how it affected the ride.

I would suspect the ride gets better but you'll know for sure.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, gas, tires