Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Class A handling

We pick up our new and first Class A Friday. It is 32' on the F53 18000 lb chassis. Can anyone tell me how it will handle windy weather or passing big rigs? Yes I test drove it but there was no wind and no big rigs.

Our class c on the e-450 got pushed around by wind. I am hoping this rig will handle better.

2010 Fleetwood Encounter 32BH
Blue Ox Aladdin - 2010 Chevy Cobalt
jtroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Hi jtroop,
Without knowing the details of your coach, gut feel says it will handle worse than the class C. I'm sorry to say that. The reason is that the class A is a big high center of gravity brick traveling down the road. There is a huge side wall exposure to any side push. You'll need to try it for a while and determine your comfort level. There are after market devices that can help if you are not comfortable.

2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 34' Fleetwood Terra on the F53 20,000 chassis and do not find it bad at all.
David & Teresa
2008 Fleetwood Terra
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Check your tire pressures, have alignment checked, you did not say how many miles the shocks have on them, but that matters. If every thing is in good shape, you will not have a problem in normal wind. Strong cross winds yes you will have a little movement in between wind breaks. Trucks never bothered mine, except for these little straight box trucks, they really push a bow wave.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the responses. A little more info on our rig:

It is a brand new 2010. The wheelbase is 190" which makes the ratio a dismal 51%. I told the dealer I wanted it aligned and to fill the 60 gal fresh water tank and 75 gal fuel tank before taking it in for alignment.

I've always heard that a C handled worst than an A. Wouldn't having a 4,000 lb heavier chassis be an improvement over what I had in terms of handling?

Mudpuppy, that is encouraging to hear.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know what class C rig you had, and there are many variables such as overall length compared to wheelbase, etc.

I had a 30ft. Winnebago Brave that I traded for our Forest River Lexington, which is considered a class B+. but is just like a class C with no bunk over the cab.

Night and day difference. I didn't have any problem in our class A with tractor trailers passing. It had little effect on driving the rig. However, we had some high winds a couple times. Once in Florida, and once in the mountains. This was sheer terror for me in the class A. I was constantly fighting the wind, and felt like I was all over the place.

The class C has been such a pleasure to drive. A couple of times I have pulled into parking lots forgetting I needed a bigger than normal parking spot because it is more like driving a truck than a motor home.

But, your class A is 10 years newer, and I'm sure your results will be different. But I will say in 3 summers of driving the class A, there were only 2 days that I would say I was really scared. Best of luck to you.
2011 Winnebago Vista 30W
Duane, Precy, 9 year old son Matt, and Abby, our American Eskimo.
Dmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
We upgraded from a 24 foot f350 class C to a 34 foot F53 Class A, 2007 georgetown. The class A handles and drives better without question. We picked it up in Dallas and drove it home 4100 miles to Fairbanks end of September. Had just about any kind of weather you can think of, plenty of winds across Kansas, and lots of trucks. Took a couple days to get used to it, but love it now.
akcampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
I remember reading one of the "suggestions for safe motorhoming" from the FMCA when we first joined that essentially said, "If it's too windy, don't drive that day". We were still working then and I thought it was kind of a silly suggestion, now that I'm retired I find it a lot easier to do.
Denny, Connie & Shadow (former barn cat made good)
2000 Itasca Horizon, Cat 3126B, Freightliner Chassis
Martind4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
I had a 2007 Forest River Sunseeker 2860 double slide. I don't mean 40+ mph winds. An above average wind e.g., 15 mph+ would push my C side to side. Tractor trailers would push me some too. I'm just hoping there is some improvement with the A. I was going to upgrade the suspension in the C before we decided to get an A.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
After you have done all the weight distribution, tire pressure, alignment and etc and you find that you have problems with semis pushing you, install a Safe-T-Plus and you will see a world of difference. At least that is my first hand experience. Now all I feel is a small movement of the steering wheel when a semi passes and very management steering when high cross winds are present.
Ronnie (WD5GIC) & Jan (WD5IHU)
2003 Monaco Dynasty Countess 42' w/tag, 2012 Ford Flex

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #11
Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I don't know about the Ford 53...

But my A tracks true and straight and semi push is no worse than in a truck with a camper....
Michael (Home base Northern CO)
USED TO HAVE; 03 Alpine 40MDTS Now RVless
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:31 AM   #12
Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
as they said a few days of driving your new RV you will get use to it you will be able to overcome the big trucks, and some wind, but I have to agree on the windy days, (wind advisory) I stay put.
swamphog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #13
I have a 32' Class A on a Ford chassis (Georgie Boy Pursuit) and it has no problem with trucks or reasonable wind. That said, it has a relatively long wheelbase (a requirement of mine for any motor home) and I expect the additional moment arm for the fluids with a short wheelbase unit may create problems.

Ernie n Tara

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #14
I fulltime in a class A, 36' and on the same chassis. It is pretty good but all large rigs do have some effect from a brisk side wind. I have no issue at all with trucks passing. The front axle on the Ford is a little on the stiff side for a ride so make sure that you get the wheel weights and adjust your tires by the inflation tables from the tire manufacturer. By running less than the max tire pressure it will help the ride and handling. It isn't going to drive like a car, but my 35' does much better than the previous 24' that was on the old GM, P-30 chassis!

SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote