RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2019, 10:57 PM   #1

Class A Insurance

Just got our renewal notice from Good Sam for full coverage for our 36 foot Winnebago. The price was 600. higher than last year and 2000.+ for coverage. We switched from Progressive last year because they went up so much for renewal. Looking at Safeco or Nationwide. Anyone have any information regarding great rates for good insurance!!!

rabbit6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2019, 04:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit6 View Post
Just got our renewal notice from Good Sam for full coverage for our 36 foot Winnebago. The price was 600. higher than last year and 2000.+ for coverage. We switched from Progressive last year because they went up so much for renewal. Looking at Safeco or Nationwide. Anyone have any information regarding great rates for good insurance!!!

Safeco raised our rate $5xx in June. No coverage changes, incidents or environmental changes.

Old 07-29-2019, 05:09 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
They all do that, just shop around and be ready to change every year !

I've been with Bad Sam, National General, State Farm, etc... changing every couple of years ...

https://www.consumersadvocate.org/rv...AaAopyEALw_wcB
Old 07-29-2019, 05:50 AM   #4

Lots of insurance went up this year. Basically everything I own from airplanes to motorcycles to cars to motorhomes went up 25%.

Good economy means lots of people (that probably shouldn't be) buying stuff and crashing stuff and making claims.

-E
BigEvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:52 AM   #5

I had Miller Insurance as my broker for many years. They placed me with Allied, a division of Nationwide. Last year the premium almost doubled. Miller said they wanted out of the RV business. I am a fulltimer. Safeco, State Farm, Hartford all would not do fulltimer. I ended up with Geico and saved a ton. The the premium for coverage on my Class A, Jeep, Harley, an umbrella and 3 rental landloard policies (Geico brokers with Travler on homeowners) was less than what Allied wanted just for the Class A.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
I had Miller Insurance as my broker for many years. They placed me with Allied, a division of Nationwide. Last year the premium almost doubled. Miller said they wanted out of the RV business. I am a fulltimer. Safeco, State Farm, Hartford all would not do fulltimer. I ended up with Geico and saved a ton. The the premium for coverage on my Class A, Jeep, Harley, an umbrella and 3 rental landloard policies (Geico brokers with Travler on homeowners) was less than what Allied wanted just for the Class A.

The moral of this story is use a good broker.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

We get the best rates from Safeco through a local independent agent.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:00 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

A low first year rate followed by a huge increase is pretty common in the RV insurance business. It's bait to get you to switch.

You can't choose a company based on somebody else's rates - there are far to many individual factors that go into setting the premiums. You just have to shop around or get a broker/agency to do it for you.

I had Allied for two years before they jumped the rates. Went to Hartford for big savings, but they are creeping up each year now.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:15 PM   #9

I have never yet experienced a broker who found better insurance rates than I could find for myself.

It’s no use at all comparing rates or offers unless it’s someone with a similar customer profile in the same zip code. These threads are good for soliciting lists of possible insurers, but the OP will have to do the grind of contacting them for quotes.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:54 PM   #10

Class A Insurance

6 years ago I started out with GMAC insurance which was bought out by National General a few years ago and in that time, my rates have increased about 30%, but since I donít use the RV full time through out the year, Iím allowed to suspend my collision portion and save about $450 a year. Why pay for coverage if youíre not using it for 6 months.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:34 PM   #11

We had been with Allied since May of 2013 when we bought out Bus. In April they wanted to increase our rate from $1630 to $2100. I checked around and bought a policy from Geico for $470 for full coverage for six months and $500 deductible. 9 days after it went into effect, the windshield developed four cracks while sitting in a campground. Within 4 hours of calling in the claim, they had an appointment setup for a replacement. I chose to have it done by a local well known shop and they agreed. Probably about a $3200 claim. It's the best claim service I have ever had with any claim in over 60 years of driving.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:28 PM   #12

Still with Safeco after a $500 increase. No claims or incidents. Shopped around and still have the best price.
JeffreyVoigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:57 AM   #13
NXR

We're at $1,250 a year from Westfield Group but we are in Year One https://www.westfieldinsurance.com/ but they may not be in all states. We do not have any non-use time because we plan to travel all year. Had we had the usual five or six months of non-use it would have been about $800. We did move home, auto, and umbrella to them as well.

Ray
Old 07-30-2019, 01:09 PM   #14

Aarp through the hartford have everything I own with then now car and rv house and boat . Was with progressive for over 15 years keep going up now paying half what I was paying

stew1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, insurance