Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2015, 05:29 PM   #15

As other have said, a lot depends on you, price of the mh, coverages, and where you live. It also depends on how you plan to use your mh. Full time versus part time, how many miles you plan to be on the road. So shop around. We have Progressive (with their road side assistance coverage) and have been happy with it.

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2015, 07:12 PM   #16

I've had Progressive (through USAA) and National General for our Travel Trailer insurance. Checked both for our new (to us) 2001 Dutch Star Motor Home, both were pretty high for full coverage, replacement cost, contents etc. We garage in Kentucky, intend on using it about 8 months out of the year. National General quoted $1,170/year. Tried Hartford AARP, quote on line, followed up with an agent by phone the next day. Same coverage, $620/year. I paid 1 year up front since they offered a slight discount, but that seemed pretty reasonable, especially since my TT insurance was about $370/year. Give them a try.
Whatever you do, do up a spread sheet, list the types of insurance, call a company, and tell them exactly what coverage you want under each category, and what deductible. It doesn't matter if you decide to change the coverage/deductible after you decide on a company, but for comparisons, always use the same coverages when comparing different companies.

Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:37 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think I will check with Country Financial.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:40 PM   #18

State Farm was really reasonable, but we had to leave them as they do not insure full timers

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2013 Allegro Red 38QRA
2013 Honda CRV
Full timing
Old 04-28-2015, 09:13 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
"State Farm was really reasonable, but we had to leave them as they do not insure full timers"

The Camp Hosts we met last year at the Offutt Fam Camp I noticed had plates from my home town in SD, so I went to visit with them. They actually are not from there, only been there a couple times to set up residency with their DP. (This couple have been FT for several years) They set up a mail address with a PO at a local place other FT use. Went to the local State Farm agent and set up their insurance and have been with that agent ever since. I was considering doing the same thing. I know when we moved to TX from NE certain things changed within our policy and our new agent explained that TX has different policy exclusions, laws than NE has, so I just wonder if that might be the same for SF covering FT'ers..... hmm.. I need to do some checking on that.

Great input from you all thanks for that information. I would add, that what ever company one goes with check them out what kind of a rating they have earned. Thanks Jim
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:49 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Update on State Farm

I called two agencies in SD, 1st one told me yes they do insure FT'ers there was a period of time in which they stopped but the current insured were grandfathered in and not dropped. However, that has changed and they take new FT'ers back in.

The second office I called I was told basically the same thing other than told you have to have a mailing address there and that the RV had to be road ready. In other words, there are some permanent camp locations where some RV'ers set up and have no intention on moving or putting the RV on the road and thus do not put plates on the RV. They will not insure those. It must be plated and road ready. But the short answer was yes they do insure FT RV'ers.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:25 AM   #21

Wow! What a price range for insurance. We just purchased our 1st motorhome (2016 Forest River Solera) last month. We live in southern Ohio and our insurance cost is $392.00 a year. Actually one of the most important factor's on insurance cost is your credit score. A friend purchased insurance on the same Honda CRV we have and from same insurance company we have and his rate was almost $300.00 a year more than our's. Driving record and driving mileage each year was the same. Only his credit score was lower.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecramer View Post
Wow! What a price range for insurance. We just purchased our 1st motorhome (2016 Forest River Solera) last month. We live in southern Ohio and our insurance cost is $392.00 a year. Actually one of the most important factor's on insurance cost is your credit score. A friend purchased insurance on the same Honda CRV we have and from same insurance company we have and his rate was almost $300.00 a year more than our's. Driving record and driving mileage each year was the same. Only his credit score was lower.
Credit score isn't factored in in California, unless maybe you are getting insurance through a dealership where you took out a loan with that is figured in with your payment. Anybody running your credit score needs to have written permission to do so, and that has never been asked of us, nor has it ever been run by State Farm. The biggest factor on insurance rates are where you live, your driving record, and your past claims record. California has no discount for credit score.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:50 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Our 2000 Dutch Star diesel is insured thru Progressive in Maryland. We just renewed, and for the year it was $600.
Our 2002 DSDP was insured through National General for about $600/6 months. Got a quote from them on the Magna and it went to over $1,500/6 months. Ended up with Allied for less than $1,500/year.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:49 AM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been insured through Liberty Mutual for years and have been pleased with their rates and service. We pay under $950 per year for the works with no down time and can make monthly payments if we so desire. I have my home, motorcycles and cars insured through them as well. So many toys and too little time. I would never let insurance stand between me and the RV of my choice. If a motorhome is what you really want rather than a 5th wheeler go for it.

We wanted a large self propelled unit for reasons of convenience. I'm tired, I pull into a nice rest stop alongside the big rigs and other RVs, light off my gen set. Then I turn on the air and fridge, eat a sandwich, drink a cold glass of water and rest my eyes for an hour or so. The wife takes the pups out to do their business and we hit the road. I walk from my driver's seat to the recliner, or the bedroom never having to leave the privacy of my own home on wheels. I had a trailer years ago. It was all I could afford at the time. When we decided to move up we went to a used class C and then to our class A. When this one finally gives up the ghost, if I don't first, we'll get another class A, insurance and all.

You only go around once in this old world so why not enjoy the bounty the Good Lord gave you and get what you really want to travel in?
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:06 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Update on State Farm

I called two agencies in SD, 1st one told me yes they do insure FT'ers there was a period of time in which they stopped but the current insured were grandfathered in and not dropped. However, that has changed and they take new FT'ers back in.

The second office I called I was told basically the same thing other than told you have to have a mailing address there and that the RV had to be road ready. In other words, there are some permanent camp locations where some RV'ers set up and have no intention on moving or putting the RV on the road and thus do not put plates on the RV. They will not insure those. It must be plated and road ready. But the short answer was yes they do insure FT RV'ers.

Kro.... Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear. I was never told by my agent that SF would not insure FT RVers, only that their offerings would not, in his view, offer adequate cover for all the particular circumstances of fulltiming.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:23 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
As previously stated USAA will refer you to Progressive. If you are a USAA member it is better to call them and they will connect you to the Progressive agent for your area. We use them and I pay $78.00 per month for my Class A. Never had a claim so I can't tell you about the quality of their service.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:01 PM   #27

We have our home-owners' and auto insurance with Allstate. When we had our '02 Georgetown, our annual premium was around $270. When we took it off the road for the winter months, we got about $100 of that rebated.

We've been with Allstate continuously since January 1972, so that may have a bearing on the price.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Credit score isn't factored in in California, unless maybe you are getting insurance through a dealership where you took out a loan with that is figured in with your payment. Anybody running your credit score needs to have written permission to do so, and that has never been asked of us, nor has it ever been run by State Farm. The biggest factor on insurance rates are where you live, your driving record, and your past claims record. California has no discount for credit score.
Interesting! If you google insurance (car, etc.) most if not all companies use credit scores as a factor when insurance rates come into play. As you live in California, your in one of three states that have banned it's use. For the rest of us it's a factor.

https://www.esurance.com/info/car/my...insurance-rate
Below is quoted from above site.
"Unless you live in Massachusetts, Hawaii, or California, where the practice has been banned."

Tags
class a, insurance