Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
I will go back to the office and ask for a different site. I have only had to do this once, and they were very accommodating.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi, Those previous ideas are all good but if site is that far off go find another site.

Under no circumstances leave the back wheels off the ground when using the jacks to level it.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Most can lift the tire's off the ground with their jack system's........
If my tire's are off the ground, I ask to be moved........I do not use blocking.
RV site's today are to expensive and one should not have to use additional steps, blocking, due to the site being that far out of level. My jack pads are have a big foot print.......never had a problem with them sinking into the ground.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Wonderful, aren't they? I sprayed them with some any color spray paint I had left over in the paint locker. A staple part way into each side so the awning rod can pull them out. I'd had 2x12 splitting all the time, but this stuff is TOUGH!
You can also attach some rope to one side (perfect handles)
Old 11-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Reason I asked is on the shakedown cruise, on the second stop of the trip, we had three of the leveler pads snap off.
OK Thanks for all the replies.
I appreciate them.
Gives me some ideas to consider.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Use 12 x 12 pieces of marine grade plywood laminated to a 2.5 inch height
Old 11-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jacks on my coach are not all that good so I carry stair steps

They are 2" by tread width (or wider)

One foot
Two foot piece
And a 3 foot long piece

Glued one atop the other

I have two of those and two that are just the bottom two boards and two that are just the top board.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:27 PM   #22

I built some blocks out of a wolmanized 2 X 12 cut in 1 and 2 foot pieces with 3/4 inch-ish marine plywood glued and screwed onto each side. They're about 3 inches thick. I use the longer ones under the wheels, if needed, and the 1 footers under the jacks all the time. If that is not enough I move.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
Old 11-06-2014, 08:38 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yup. Wood as spacers. Carry several. Seldom needed, but on occasion.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:19 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
How to Level a Motorhome... Plus an Awesome Giveaway! - YouTube

Got this in an e-mail this A.M.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ramp it up

There are lots of good ways to get the job done.

In our case, I built a system of 12x24x1.5, 12x16x1.5 and 12x8x1.5-inch plywood "boards" that I use to build leveling ramps. I used Concrete Forming HDO plywood for the boards, which is expensive but very durable even in wet conditions.

We like State Parks and other public campgrounds. Many of those were build long ago, and there's never been funding to update them to modern standards. So, we regularly need to level up in challenging sites. I can stack up boards to build whatever ramps I need for leveling at almost any site.

The end of the boards are square (not tapered) so the tires have something to grab on to as they climb up each 1.5-inch step on the ramp. The 12x24x1.5-inch boards have 2x4 toes at one end to keep the ramp-stack from being pushed back as the tire ascend. It also helps keep from driving past the top step and back down the far end of the ramps.

I also use a little chunk of 2x4 as the first step-up before the tires touch the ramp. The 2-4 usually grabs the ground as the tire advances over it, even on loose gravel. This reduces tendency for tires to push the entire ramp back over loose gravel. I always use a ramp under each of the 4 rear wheels so that rear weight is supported by all 4 wheels, not just the 2 outer wheels.

We usually don't stay in any one place for more than a few weeks at the most. However, we have spent up to 3 months at snowbird RV resorts. If RV pad is asphalt, I'll put 1 board under each tire to avoid long-term exposure of tire footprint to asphalt.

I use these same boards to compensate for extra throw needed by hydraulic jacks when tires are up on the ramps. However, I'm very careful. Like brianlori mentioned in a previous post, parking brakes only engage the rear wheels. If rear tires become suspended above the ramp (or there's too little tire weight on a ramp), then the 16-ton motorcoach becomes unstable, not to mention stress this puts on air bag suspension. The failsafe is to build up jacks 1 or 2 boards LESS than ramp.

In extreme cases, I've ramped up rear end by 7.5-inches, and front end up to 15-inches. But with hindsight, that was probably too much for a 16-ton diesel pusher. With help from my wife coach, I'm sure I'll be more prudent in the future.

One last idea. I carry a garden hoe as a multipurpose tool. It works well for positioning boards under jacks before deployment, and pushing ramps behind inner rear wheels before ascent. They're also handy for pulling that lumberyard out from under the coach when it's time to depart. When boondocking, I've used hoe to dig out high spots, which can lower wheels to help in leveling. It also is marked up as a measuring stick to help make sure there's enough clearance for rooms to extend in tight sites.

Yes, there are lots of good ways to level up. I think this is one of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1110140934.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	78626   Click image for larger version

Name:	1110140936.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	78627  

drczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie View Post
I would like to know what the members do if the spot your in isn't quite level and the leveling system reaches it's limit.
I'm thinking about making some boards to put under the pads.
I tried the plastic square ones but they squashed and didn't work to well.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
donie
I carry 6 12" square blocks/pads, (made from 2 pieces of 3/4" treated plywood glued and screwed together), for the occasions when the jacks "reach their limit" before my coach is level.
I have more than once used 5 or 6 under the front jack, (lifting the front tires off the ground) to "get level".

BTW some will insist that "lifting the front tires of the ground" is "not good", but it works for me.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 11-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate them.
They gave me some ideas.
I did check out the video posted and ordered a set.
Ill try them out on our next trip.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:09 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good ideas here, should have read before I bent a leveler jack , leveled on sandy uneven CG and when I retracted jacks motor home shifted slightly to the rear due to uneven ground and bent a jack piston shaft. I should have blocked wheels and this wouldn't have happened. Site was flat but I had parked on the outer edge where it sloped to meet asphalt to get satillite reception. Ended up with a jack stuck down. Lesson learned here.

Tags
class a, leveling