Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2016, 05:39 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Class A maintenance

I'm new at this. I have a Monaco 42'. At the present time, I get the oil and filters changed every year on the coach and the gen set and the chassis greased, I'm thinking every two years. Is this okay? Are there other things I need to do?
wwobrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2016, 06:06 PM   #2

Class A maintenance

All of those actions are recommended to be annual, or 15,000 miles
I use Speedco. All of the oil/grease, oil filter, 2 fuel filters, and an oil test for about $230. They may (location specific) do the gen too for $56. I have all of this stuff done in Casa Grande AZ. Have had only the MH serviced at Speedco Milan NM
Speedco has an ap.
All other things to be done per the owners manual
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:09 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Annually at Speedco here as well. I service all our low miles / year vehicles in my birthday month, so it's easy to remember when due.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:15 PM   #4

Welcome to iRV2.

Oil change before storage , there are corrosives and sludge in the oil at the end of the season that should be removed , before they get a chance to settle to the base of the pan and start rusting it from the inside out.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:37 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
most gas engines have margins of 'error' for maint. I would not try to apply similar practices for diesel. Current gas motors have closed loop fuel systems to minimize fuel wash down. Not really applicable for diesel.

Bite the bullet, find the least expensive service (like speedco) or your local craigslist mobile - which also did a lube for me (and watch them do the work), supply filters (or make sure the price they charge is comparable) and the powerplant will out live you - sleep easy.

this coming from a tightwad among tightwads.... how else did I get this DP for a screaming deal?

PS, I am currently putting up with a drivability/idle issue on a BMW bc I'm too tight to breakdown and pay 5x for the part locally as opposed to paying 40$ for it on ebay. OR even letting the dealer 'find' it for about 300$. So, man, I'm tight.. ok.?
Old 10-11-2016, 06:55 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Where in Casa Grande are you having the maintenence done? I'm currently using a place in Coolidge that seems to know what they're doing, the Tire Factory.
mike2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2wheels View Post
Where in Casa Grande are you having the maintenence done? I'm currently using a place in Coolidge that seems to know what they're doing, the Tire Factory.

Speedco 319
8212 S. Sunland Gin Rd.
Casa Grande,AZ 85131
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:01 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
tks.
wwobrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:44 PM   #9

Now that's a new one. An oil pan rusting out from the inside out for not changing your oil every year.
Newsflash. Not gonna happen.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:53 PM   #10

I can do myself an oil change with filter plus both fuel filter and a lube for around $120. All OEM filters and chevron Delo diesel oil. If you can get all that plus an oil analysis for $230, that ain't bad.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:02 PM   #11

I do question the need for fuel filters annually without regard for mileage. I drain 4 ounces of fuel from the sediment bowl into a glass cup after every trip and look for any water or sediment. Takes all of 5 minutes. Maybe there might be circumstances to deviate fro this but I have not had to. We use the rv regularly and store in an enclosed garage.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:01 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Air dryer and air filter every 3 years. Air filters break down from age and one could ingest paper or dust a motor.

LEN
Old 10-14-2016, 02:20 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwobrian View Post
I'm new at this. I have a Monaco 42'. At the present time, I get the oil and filters changed every year on the coach and the gen set and the chassis greased, I'm thinking every two years. Is this okay? Are there other things I need to do?

Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I take the coach to Speedco once a year for routine service, oil change, lube, etc. Cummins recommends yearly or 15,000 miles, whichever comes first. They also service the Onan 7500 generator. I think Onan recommends service at 150 hours usage, but I just have it done at the same time for convenience!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:06 PM   #14

I have had air filters in some of my cars that I drive little that might get changed at 5 years. They don't "break down". Where do some people come up with saying stuff like that?

Tags
class a, maintenance

« Aqua Hot | lafitte »