Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2019, 07:21 AM   #1

Question Class A Manufacturer that has gone out of business?

Hello all,

This was a hard one to title but here is my question. What have been your support issues or concerns about buying a coach where the manuafacturer has gone out of business, and even if absorbed, the main manufacturer that bought them no longer supports the older models. I have been looking and doing research on picking up an older premium class A and I like Tiffin and Newmar (which of course never went bankrupt in the mid 08’s) but there are some great ones from Monaco and others that look just great.

I would like to know what experiences are around finding parts or maintaining an older classy coach.

1998 Georgie Boy Swinger/2005 Jeep Liberty
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rjreiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2019, 07:35 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I don't see big problems since the warranty is so short on new MH and I prefer to fix everything myself. Also, you might think that when you spend a quarter of a million dollars on your new machine, that you'll get a lot of service from your dealership but it's not what I read and see.
There is a lot of knowledge on the net and very often it's more than you'll get from the manufacturer.
Plus,the dealers prefer to work on your MH when you show them your green dollars than fixing warranty items...

Also, a MH is built using standard of the shelf units (fridge, heating systems...) Where you can contact manufacturer and get better support.

Good luck!
Dynasty_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:42 AM   #3

Class A's, like many other products are a compilation of parts made/supplied by other manufacturers. There really are very few parts that are original manufacturer specific. Some chassis parts for manufacturers who made their own proprietary chassis come to mind.

Refrigerators, microwaves, leveling systems, water heaters, door handles, headlights, drawer latches, windows, lighting fixtures . . . well you get the picture, these items, for the most part are available through alternate suppliers, or the original suppliers to the RV manufacturer. What has been lost is the one stop clearing house so that the owner doesn't have to shop around for the required parts. That's where the internet and forums like IRV2 are priceless for "Orphan Owners". Most people, having spend considerable time finding a replacement, whether original, or upgrade, are more than willing to share that information for free on sites like this.

The advantage of buying from other vendors, even for RV's whose parent company's still exist, is that in many cases, the replacement parts are considerably less expensive for the identical part. Case in point, replacement headlights for our 2001 Newmar Dutch Star. Even though replacement headlights are readily available through Newmar, taking the numbers off of the original headlights told me that the parts are available through my local auto parts store for a fraction of the price that the original RV manufacturer could provide them.

Don't be afraid of an Class A "Orphan", as long as it has been well maintained, is the floorplan you like, and you have inspections by qualified inspectors of both the chassis and coach. Don't forget to pull fluid samples as well!

You mentioned Monaco's. They were on our short list, as we found one that we really liked, with a desk/office area in the master bedroom. The rest of the coach, unfortunately, was trashed, water intrusion, mold that the dealership couldn't seem to see/smell, etc. They were really incensed when I almost put my finger through the side of the coach pointing out the damage! Anyway, if we could have found a well maintained Monaco with the floorplan we wanted, we would have bought it! We ended up finding a Dutch Star, original owners, meticulously maintained, COPIOUS maintenance records, etc for a fair price. Although we'd really like a third slide, we're extremely happy with it! And it's PAID for!

Good luck in your search!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:43 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I live about 110 miles from Junction City OR where my Country Coach was made. Lots of the workers still there, some have opened their own shops or work at others. So far I've had no problems.
My son in law runs his own mobile RV repair business too. Sounds great right? Well he won't work on high end rigs! Plus, as stated above, I prefer do do as much as I can.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:45 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
It also helps having sites like IRV2 or the Yahoo Monacoers' & Monaco Owners forums. Lots of knowledgeable people and resource. the Moancoers group maintains a parts list which is a great resource along with dozens of files on care and maintenance.

Also, in my case, the coachs systems can still be maintained by shade tree mechanics (me). The systems are not overly complicated electronics.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:48 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
We had a 2005 National Dolphin and now have a 2008 Dolphin and bought both knowing National shut down in 2008. We haven't had much trouble with either one. But nearly every component in a Rv is made buy another company. Examples: Chassis is Workhorse, engine GM, Transmission Allison, Fridge Norcold, body paint Sherwin Williams, generator Cummins, Hehr windows, etc. So replacement parts I needed have been easily found & available. Even the one piece windshield I needed last year was ordered and arrived in days. So I've had no problems so far.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:49 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Like Mike said, the majority of the parts/components used on these coaches are made by someone else (chassis, brakes, engines, trans, etc, are same as trucking industry uses.

The interior stuff, electronics, switches, controls, AC, etc., are from independent (third party) companies.

Basically, only the trim and finishes are coach manufacturer specific.

Of course there are these "third party" suppliers that have also gone out of the business (like Aladdin monitoring) but someone else usually steps in with a product that will work as a replacement (although it can get expensive to replace a "system" because one part is no longer available. There is also the salvage year route).
The older the coach the more likely you will come across this.

EDIT: LOL five people responded in the time it took me to write my reply.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:56 AM   #8

I would agree that this site is invaluable! I have told dozens of my friends (my DW says I don’t have that many friends ) about irv2.com!

I have to admit that when I was working on my 98 Georgie Boy I was able to get stuff from the original manufacturer (although I found many of the parts on Amazon or eBay even!).

Things like a replacement carb for the gen set, needed to repair the leveling system and the company is still in business!

1998 Georgie Boy Swinger/2005 Jeep Liberty
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rjreiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:00 AM   #9

I think it's a non issue. I personally have bought two Monaco coaches after there Financial issues and had no problems requireing me to go to Monaco for repairs. I am a DIY person first and I do look on this web site for help. A lot of very expert advise here on IRV2. Like mentioned above all of the appliances and harware are from other companies most of them are still in buisness . Finding parts has not been a problem. Current coach is 2006 Monaco Diplomat DST and I love it.
AdmiralRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:01 AM   #10

Never a problem with our Orphan Coach! As others have said, tech support on the various components is readily available...

And as Mr D pointed out, for the Country Coaches - the mother load of talented Tech's are in the Junction City/Eugene area... But isolated pockets of talent are scattered across the country.

Alpine, Pre Monaco Beaver, Safari, Monaco, National, others - the best source of info on competent tech's, is via the Owner Groups.

If you find say a Monaco that you like, and it's in good condition - go for it!

Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:20 AM   #11

I would not worry about it as others have said. I would buy many coaches that are no longer being manufactured, than a few that are still in business....
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:35 PM   #12

Although technically Monaco is still being made, the older one's before REV took them and others, we just have to go around REV. Most of the REV group in Indiana are not much help, nor do they seem to care. They're are more concerned with the new coaches. On the other side, Winnebago is still around, but their models come and go and when they ditch a model it's almost like being an orphan for any special items that were part of that model. If you find a coach you like, buy it.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
45 ft., tag axle, ISM500
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:42 PM   #13

We bought our Beaver full well knowing the company went out many years ago. We were actually buying a different coach when this one came available. I did a mountain of research and it wasn't long before the same theme came up time and time again that these coach's are simply among the best ever built.

Working on it I can attest the reviews were right. And to date as others have said whenever I am needing info I just call REV. they have not failed to help me yet.

I think the more important research to do when looking is to see how the people that own them like them and how they are viewed by those in the know.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:51 PM   #14

Didn't bother me when shopping for a Safari for all the reason listed above. Same for the car I've been driving for the last 9 years, built by Daimler Chrysler that went bankrupt in 2009.

I purchased both vehicles because I liked them. Haven't regretted it once.
astrnmrtom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a