Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2015, 05:32 PM   #1

Class A MH Covers

This is our first year of having a Class A MH. We live in the North East and will be needing a cover for the hard winters. Any recommendations?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2015, 07:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendale View Post
This is our first year of having a Class A MH. We live in the North East and will be needing a cover for the hard winters. Any recommendations?
Well,
You'll get normally a fair series of responses here on this topic. There's basically two kinds of covers for RVs.

1. The kind you DRIVE UNDER, i.e. garage, carport, barn, anything that you can pull your coach under.

2. The "Tarp" style. Those are the ones that are one serious pain in the a$$ to put on and take off. Yes, you will have 1 or 2 that will disagree but, if you were to do a search on this subject, you'd find that the majority of the folks who've tried the tarp style, have either put it on only one time, never put it on at all, or, used it only a few times and quit due to the cover causing etching damage to the coach from wind and dirt etc, getting under it and in between the cover and the coach.

The amount of effort needed and the pre-requisites required, i.e. removal of all antennas (radio and c/b etc.) is pretty entailed. Not to mention, there's really not a lot of folks who like being that high and or, even climbing up to and on top of their RV, much less toting a semi-heavy cover up with them. Then, there's the placing of it.

One thing that most people DO NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT is, if the cover is not removed in a very special sequence, you'll be ROLLING up the dirt that, has deposited itself onto the cover. And, the next time you put that cover back on, guess what, you're ROLLING that accumulated dirt/debris/dust, right in between the cover and the coach, even if you just washed the coach, prior to installing the cover.

So, your choice. Drive under covers, like the ones mentioned above, are not cheap and or, in many municipalities across the great country of ours, they are not permitted in many residential establishments. In certain counties and, other parts or, out in the country, the limitations are not as stringent.

But, if you were to look up one of the threads on here, "Lets see your RV cover/garage", you'll find the various designs and types. It's a great thread.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:01 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
FIRE UP is absolutely correct in his response, I have been using an ADCO all climate plus wind cover, pia to put on and take off. I have glued pc's of foam in certain areas on inside of cover to stop chaffing,put foam covers on chrome exhaust tip etc.Good 3 -year cover then thro-away,I have been putting off building a mh garage,or getting a metal carport cover because I am not sure how much longer we are going to be in new england,my body just can't take the winters anymore. If I was to stay in NE I would at least invest in a metal carport with full sides and back wall, about a $ 6000.00 investment, worth it. I would not go without a cover of some kind in winter(some do),risky, imho.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 08:17 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Brendale-

Here's a recent iRV2 thread on the same topic. But, Scott and Rick have covered it already (pun intended).

Mark
Old 11-04-2015, 08:34 AM   #5

I'll join the ranks of the ones FIRE UP described as "never put it on at all". I actually got it out of the box once, looked everything over for a while, put it back in the box and sold it.
We are moving to another house and am getting a metal carport with full sides and should be delivered in a week or two.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #6

I had the expensive Sunbrella for my last coach and used it all the time and it was painful. It does get dirt under it and the water does get through it and it makes for some sand paper effect on all corners, etc. I will not even think of a full cover for this new coach.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:23 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Had a cover for last MH; tried it once; too windy in Colorado; sold it on Craigslist in one day! New MH sits in heated garage and is spoiled. I wouldn't recommend buying a cover if you can help it.
jimfh2o is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:05 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Also in the northeast, and the owner of a "used once" ADCO cover. It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are trying to avoid clearing snow from the roof, a fabric cover is exactly what you don't want. Snow and ice stick to the cover, and it ends up weighing hundreds or thousands of pounds and more likely to damage roof-mounted components than protect them. The "shrink wrap" covers that you see everywhere on boats are probably a better answer, as they are so slick that the snow just slides off. In my neighborhood, that costs $14/foot, and they have to build a frame that sits on the roof to create sufficient slope for the snow to slide off.

I bought a cover for the specific short-term purpose of keeping water out of the leaking roof seams of a motorhome that I purchased in December. If I had more time, I'm sure that I could have fixed the leaks for far less than the cost of the cover, but caulking doesn't flow or adhere to anything in December.

I still have some leaks this year, and I'm using two different types no-residue tape to seal them up until spring. I'm going to tie a stepladder to the built-in ladder on the rear of my MH to make it easier and safer to get on the roof with a broom and clear snow. A carport would be nice, but I cannot justify the cost.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:28 PM   #9

I used a cover for two years before I moved to a townhouse with a 16 X 48" garage for the MH,

There has been much said about installing and removal. The first time I installed it, I had my young son in law with me and he packed it up the ladder.

When it came time to remove it, I went and bought a 50Gal garbage bin with wheels. I went up and pulled the sides up and then with buddy manning the bin, he pulled the cover into the bin off the rear of the roof while I guided it along the roof. Worked like a charm. So, when it came time to install again, I tied a rope to the cover and went up with the rope and started pulling it toward the front of the coach while buddy guided it out of the bin. Once it was laid out the length of the roof, we just spread it out and over the sides.
The prep to make sure all sharp edges were covered took more time than anything.
I thought it was worth the effort. Keeps the rig clean so in the spring I didn't have to do a lot of cleaning before we were on the road again. My guess is three years is about max life of a cover.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I used a cover for two years before I moved to a townhouse with a 16 X 48" garage for the MH,

There has been much said about installing and removal. The first time I installed it, I had my young son in law with me and he packed it up the ladder.

When it came time to remove it, I went and bought a 50Gal garbage bin with wheels. I went up and pulled the sides up and then with buddy manning the bin, he pulled the cover into the bin off the rear of the roof while I guided it along the roof. Worked like a charm. So, when it came time to install again, I tied a rope to the cover and went up with the rope and started pulling it toward the front of the coach while buddy guided it out of the bin. Once it was laid out the length of the roof, we just spread it out and over the sides.
The prep to make sure all sharp edges were covered took more time than anything.
I thought it was worth the effort. Keeps the rig clean so in the spring I didn't have to do a lot of cleaning before we were on the road again. My guess is three years is about max life of a cover.
Dennis,
You're one of the few (pretty sure VERY few) who will go through that kind of complications, to install one of those tarp style covers. And, as you stated, you had to have a "buddy" help you in various stages of applying this cover. Putting it on or, taking it off, by yourself, is just a pain, no doubt about that.

When one has no other choice and or, is governed by budget, or city ordinances (George Orwell's "Big Brother") prohibit a nice driver under cover, then you "gotta do what you gotta do" to protect such a large investment, (motor homes by the way, are NOT an investment, THEY LOOSE MONEY).
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:07 PM   #11

Wow, Am I the odd one out

I have had two fifth wheels and two MH's and have always put on the "ADCO" style cover on before the snow flies. Have never experienced all the issues mentioned here. I put on a few pieces of protective foam. Each Thanksgiving we have a big gathering, put one person on the roof (me) and a few folks help walk it down the sides. I just make sure it goes on tight so the wind does not cause the buffeting and abrasion and I go in once a month to run the engine and the generator.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:12 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just for thought. I'm in Northern Va - average 24" snow a year. When I 1st got my motorhome I bought a cover and found using a cover too much of a PIA and to dangerous to use.
So now my 15 year old motorhome (EPDM rubber roof) has survived 15 winters and all is still well - no roof leaks (with the exception of a tree branch ripping it once), no de-lam, ect. I clean the roof with spick-n-span once or twice a year - that's all.
I would prefer drive under roof - not a removable cover.
FIRE UP states it well.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:54 PM   #13

Just got done wrapping the MH with a ADCO cover. Northeast Took me about 15 mins using ADCO direction,s.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:44 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I ain't no young punk and I put my cover on by myself. Including prep time I can get it all done in 45 minutes ..... alone.

Cannot do a carport type structure where we are so the cover is an alternative that I can live with.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a