Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2016, 10:20 AM   #1

Class A MH storage cover

Looking at buying a storage cover for new 32 ft class a. Not sure if it is worth it but live in FL where the sun beats down ALL the time. Any and all recommendations would be appreciated. Also how hard are covers to put on a 12 ft high by 32ft by 9ft box? Thanks in advance... john
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 10:57 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I spent $750 on a good quality cover for our 36' Class A. It sat in the box until a couple months ago when I decided to cover the motorhome to protect it from the sun while it was in storage for over a month. My coach is also 12' tall plus antennae. It was a hassle and I doubt I will ever use it again. Additionally, the cover is massive even when rolled up neatly and I don't have room to store it anywhere. I'm considering one of those aluminum ports instead. FWIW
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:17 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Covers if not secured tightly can scratch the paint when the wind picks up.

Be sure to protect the cover with padding on any sharp areas on the coach.

Do not put the cover on immediately after shutting down water heater, the exhaust port is hot enough to melt a cover.

Easier to put on than take off and re-roll/fold up.

Best if the coach is clean before covering otherwise the dirt between cover and coach paint acts like sand paper.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #4

I put the ADCO All Climate + Wind on my coach as living in the desert there is the combination of sun and heat plus windblown sand to contend with. I was able to put the cover on myself, but it took a fair bit of time. The issue I have with it is that the fabric is so soft that it has already torn in two places. Of course the upside is that it stays much cooler in my coach and when I take the cover off the coach isn't "desert tan" from the abundant coating of fine dust that usually settles on it. All in all I feel like it's annoying to deal with but worth it.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsfla View Post
Looking at buying a storage cover for new 32 ft class a. Not sure if it is worth it but live in FL where the sun beats down ALL the time. Any and all recommendations would be appreciated. Also how hard are covers to put on a 12 ft high by 32ft by 9ft box? Thanks in advance... john
ajsfla,
First off, this is not meant to discourage you attempting to protect your investment. But, I want you to think of something here. The primary reason most RVers, purchase one of those "throw on" covers is, to protect the coach/trailer etc. from the sun, correct? But, many folks have a secondary reason. And that is, for protection against dirt and debris, dust, leaves etc. Well, that's all well and good but, here's the issue.

If you didn't cover your coach, it will get dirty, just by sitting there, correct? Well, if you put a cover on it, yes, it will be protected from that dirt and dust etc. But, where does that dirt and dust etc. reside, ON THE COVER!!

So, let's assume you've put your cover on and, all is well. Now, that cover's been on there for say, oh, about two months. Well, now you've got 2 months worth of dirt, dust etc. on it. Now, this is where it get's technical and, a pain in the a$$. Many have suggested to "roll" it up. Well, what happens to all that dirt, dust and debris, when you roll it up? It get's rolled right into the cover.

So, let's say you rolled your cover up. Now, you use the coach, and return to place that cover back on. Now, you "Un-roll that cover" on to the coach, with great painstaking measures I might add. Guess what you just did? You ROLLED A BUNCH OF DIRT AND DEBRIS, right onto your nice coach, IN BETWEEN the cover and the coach, NOT GOOD!!

So, not only are they a serious pain in the petute to install and remove, but, if no precautions are taken, you simply cause your own damage by re-installing a dirty cover. So, just something to think about.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:26 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I only use the cover over the winter months when the coach is in long term storage. Once springtime arrives, the cover comes off and the coach is dewinterized.

I might mention that the Classic Accessories Permapro cover has a lifetime warranty. If a seam splits or the fabric tears or a zipper fails, you fill out a form, attach a picture and send them a claim. They will send you a brand new cover. It just doesn't get any better. Mine split a seam where it fit over the edge of the awning and I filed a claim. Great folks to work with.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:44 PM   #7

I bought a new adco last year, only used two times.It did what I wanted
it to do, but started to rip in a few spots. I now have a metal carport, much
easier.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:54 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin along View Post
I bought a new adco last year, only used two times.It did what I wanted
it to do, but started to rip in a few spots. I now have a metal carport, much
easier.
I wish I had a spot where I could put a metal carport.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:19 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Being a first time owner and living in Florida myself, how important is covered parking? Obviously, I can spend more for covered storage, but what will realistically happen if I leave it uncovered?
angelbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:57 PM   #10

In my opinion the #1 Killer for any RV is the direct sun. Metal Covers are the best and very cheap insurance considering how much RV's cost nowadays. 2nd best is the cloth covers but they only last a year at best and are a hassle to put on and off and rip very easily. Providing you have room etc the Metal Cover is really worth it's cost over time. I Camp a lot in So Cal and mine is stored in a Garage, it's a 1998 and still looks near new condition.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, storage