Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2016, 04:24 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVgambler View Post
Will accept new or used ~1-2 years back. I am new to RVs and trying to find the best quality for the $$. Trying to stay around 40'. I "believe" that independent front suspension & side mounted radiator (easier engine access) are important. Tag axle is optional is it important that it can turn..
Then I would stick with Newmar Dutchstar and Entegra because they used Spartan Chassis. Tiffin makes their own for the Allegro Bus and it's has rear radiator and IFS.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 05:20 PM   #16

I would strongly suggest that you check out the Tiffin RV Network Forum for information about the Tiffins. There do seem to be some continuing issues with Tiffin on the quality side and there does seem to be a need for more than a few owners to have to go to the factory at Red Bay, Alabama to wait for repairs. That doesn't seem to be an issue with Entegra and Newmar from what our observations have been.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:13 AM   #17

If quality is a concern remember that Entegra is made by Jayco.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:18 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
Then I would stick with Newmar Dutchstar and Entegra because they used Spartan Chassis. Tiffin makes their own for the Allegro Bus and it's has rear radiator and IFS.
Sorry I mistyped the Allegro Bus has a side radiator and the Phaeton has a rear radiator.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVgambler View Post
It was recommended that I not look at them due to quality issues (Former owners)
That's what I thought. I have had conversations with a lot of class A owners who have said the same thing. Winnebago brand has really gone south in the last 5 - 10 years. There was a time when it represented a quality that most Americans would buy but they started cutting corners, too many corners and now will have a long hard row to plow if they ever want to regain what they once had. And I doubt sincerely that that will ever happen.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:54 PM   #20

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
If quality is a concern remember that Entegra is made by Jayco.
Not sure what point you're making. Entegra is owned by Jayco, not the same as made by Jayco. When we bought we couldn't find another coach with the the build quality of Entegra, the features offered or or the customer service backing that Entegra offers with their 2 year warranty. A short perusal of the Entegra forum will show what I mean.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:05 PM   #21

Class A Motor Home Comparison: Tiffin VS Newmar VS Entegra

Newmar would be my choice.
Scan the forums of all 3 and look for long term, ongoing issues and multiple factory visits.
Newmar will customize floor layouts. This may also provide more choices on used.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:54 PM   #22

We have owned four coaches, including two DPs - a 2007 Tiffin Phaeton, and a 2012 Itasca Meridian. The DPs are both good quality, and both had problems - relatively minor. I have a friend who had a $1.5 million dollar Liberty Prevost, and he still had some problems with it (just fancier problems - grin). The issues with DP coaches are usually with the components (chassis, water heaters, refrigerators, TVs etc). The manufacturer builds the basic coach on a purchased chassis, and fills it with purchased products. Most have recalls from time to time. And when you shake something for thousands of miles, components tend to malfunction. So my recommendation is similar to others in the chain - what is your budget?, how will you use it now and future?, what features are a priority?, what floor plan will work best for you?, etc. As with buying a car, do your homework first - go to a large RV trade show (such as the January one in Tampa, FL) to sample and compare multiple floor plans and features. If you have a trade, be sure to know what it is worth for that purpose. Then talk turkey with several vendors. We live in our coach for five months per year. We have a home base lot in a mountain RV resort, but also travel to near and far destinations. When we bought our Itasca Meridian, we decided on the price range, floor plan and key features first (residential refrigerator for wife, and more engine torque for me, etc). The Tiffin Phaeton and Itasca/Winnebago Meridian/Journey are two brands that survived the Great Recession, were within our budget, and had the 40U floor plan that fit our preferences. We bought the Itasca Meridian because we a got a very good deal on a new, left over 2012 in Feb of 2013. We bought the 2012 for the price of a used one, and got low end retail for our Phaeton because coaches don't sell well in February in Ohio. Hope some of this is helpful. Rob

Tags
class a, comparison, entegra, newmar, tiffin