RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #1

Class A Motor home Length

My wife and I are in an odd situation. We are looking at retiring in ~4 years. I have an opportunity to take a position for that time frame that where I would have to relocate and Draw perdiem for the duration. If this occurs we would sell every thing off and purchase the Coach now. SO here is the Question if we are to live in it for 4 years we would want a large coach (40-45 foot). When we go full time and travel we plan on actually traveling for ~ 2 years. A new location every 4-5 days. We would like to be able to stay in National and State parks and Corp campgrounds. Will a coach this large limit our opportunities to do this. Would we need a smaller coach.

Phillieagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2019, 08:57 AM   #2

In my opinion the bigger the better. Staying in State and National parks isn't such a big deal as there are always better RV parks/resorts near by. Think about your living conditions rather than where you think you're going to stay.

I'm absolutely sure my post will be ripped to pieces by other members so remember, it's just my opinion.

LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillieagle View Post
We would like to be able to stay in National and State parks and Corp campgrounds. Will a coach this large limit our opportunities to do this.
Yes.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:18 AM   #4

I agree that bigger is better as far as living accomodations go. But, you will be limited in places to stay once you get to 40' and over , especially for national and state parks. Corps facilities are usually pretty spacious. Also, many older parks, particularly in the Northeast will have length restrictions. That all being said, we have always found a place to park, usually at private parks, so the rates will be higher than govt subsidized facilities.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:25 AM   #5

I don't share LJpody's opinion and thats OK because we each have our own preferences. We chose 34 feet as being plenty big enough for the two of us and still able to fit in parks where we like to stay and lite enough travel over back road and smaller bridges with a 10 ton weight limit. It also fits on a concrete pad beside our house and a 40-45' DP would not. We have spent 3 months on the road for the last two years and plan to spend 8 months on the road in 2020. 2019 got cut down to 3 months due to a family emergency.
At any rate, we have spent enough time in the coach that we know it is the right fit for us. We have resisted selling the S&B because we don't have to. We would winter in FL anyway and taxes & insurance cost about the same as finding an RV park for the winter.
Remember to form an exit plan for when you can no longer travel in an RV. Selling an appreciateing asset to buy one with a value that drops like a rock is not smart if that will be your only place to live. If you can keep a nest egg for later, then its probably OK to do.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:35 AM   #6

If you are going to live in it, bigger is better.
If not, I went from a 36 gas to 43 diesel and the 36 drives like a "toy". Much easier to get around parking lots et al with the reduced wheelbase.
Was hard to get side of road parking in a few national parks, but that probably would be for both.

If we were pulling a Toad, then the bigger is definitely better. Both to tow, and to park the RV at available spots and take the Toad sight seeing.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:40 AM   #7
Dom

I started out with the same goal in mind. I really like camping, not just parking. We started with a 28 ft for about 8 years, 34 ft for about 6 years, now we have a 36 ft. I liked the versatility of the 34 ft better but the 36 ft has washer/dryer and an ensuite. Still have been able to get into the campgrounds we like, but just. I would not go any bigger. You can still camp in larger campgrounds and have all the amenities, but still go out to nature when you want
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:21 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
SO here is the Question if we are to live in it for 4 years we would want a large coach (40-45 foot).
YES. Bigger is better if you're living full time in it. More storage space, more private space (useful if you and DW tend to argue over politics, family, or such), and larger coaches (with tag axles) handle much better on the highways. Downside, as mentioned, it's harder to maneuver once off those highways.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:02 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We lived on a boat (50ft) for years also had a large camper on a truck, so we never needed much room. We have a 35ft Class A with one large slide, for us this is the perfect size. Its easier to park & get around in tight areas, can't imagine owning anything larger. Ours is prepped for a W/D but don't have one. Anyway your not always in the MH unless the weathers nasty, JMHO good luck!
Old 10-10-2019, 12:23 PM   #10
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Will a coach this large limit our opportunities to do this.
Yes, obviously.. I can get a 35 footer in a 45 ft spot, but can't get a 45 footer in a 35 ft spot..

In your travels, you'll run into places that won't be able to accommodate you because of the size. You'll get used to this when you plan your outings. I have 35 ft and in my travels, three times size was a factor. Once in Las Vegas, my 35 ft was the max they could accommodate, and I was concerned that because I overhung the spot a little, tI was going to get hit.

Once in Alamogordo, they had some smaller spots open, but nothing my 35 ft would fit in.

Once in Florida Keys, an older park that was probably built for trailers simply could not accommodate me.

In all three of these, I did not make advanced queries, I simply dropped in during the busy part of the year, Plan ahead a little and you should be OK.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:40 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have a different view. I don't think you should buy anything at this time. If you were buying to go full time, fine, but you're actually buying to live in it, in one spot. When full timing, you may stay for a month or so in one area and then move on when you get bored. You take the chance that buying it and using it as an apartment while you work in one place may get old and you could soon resent being in the RV.

You're also talking about four years of using it like a house. That can be very hard on furniture unless you buy a high end unit. Things may also change at the end of that four year stint, like family situations, health, finances, etc. I'm guessing you're looking at the per diem to assist in paying the coach payment. I hope that isn't driving your decision.

I my way off base, but at least think about what I said. I know many who have used an RV while building a house, later hated the RV. I know this isn't what you're doing, but close.

I would rent the first three years and spend the last year having fun shopping for a retirement coach. So many things in the industry can change in four years. Even if you intend to buy used, your budget will buy you a four year newer coach by then, with many newer products.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #12

I am still an RV newbie, but I found this Youtube video interesting regarding big coaches

Old 10-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #13

Most National Parks and State Parks are upgrading to handle larger RVs. However only a few spaces in them will accommodate the newer larger units so reservations are a necessity. Most private parks are able to accommodate big rigs now and there are many around NPs and State Parks and other tourist areas. You will find that when you begin to travel full time it is much more economical to pay by the week or month rather than for 3 or 4 days. You can take your towed vehicle and explore the surrounding area. You can also get an RV now to live in and travel on the weekends, until you retire and go full time. The most important thing is the floor plan. Get one you like and can live in. I too recommend a 40, 43, or 45 foot forfull time living.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #14

Quote:
My wife and I are in an odd situation.

Sounds like a Great opportunity

We are looking at retiring in ~4 years.

.* - - *.

I have an opportunity to take a position for that time frame that where I would have to relocate and Draw per diem for the duration.

That sounds nice - Have you pre determined a SITE to Stay In? - IMHO this is critical for the plan - in many areas this is really Difficult to find close to the location you want to be, so be sure you check this out first. To get the Coach and not have a Place to Live would not be fun - even worse if the only location was not to the DW liking, so be sure of this first. Years ago we met a couple of Traveling Nurses and they would go as a team to many locations - the first thing they always did was check to see where they could stay. This the said was a really big deal, as they often found that the type of place they required was not always available. More than once they told us the Hospital would create a site on the grounds just for them, making the Job even Better, so just keep in mind where you need to park the Beast when not in a State or National Park

If this occurs we would sell everything off and purchase the Coach now.

So the Question now becomes do you have any idea what you might Like? Big $$ amount required here so it will be smart to totally understand what will work in a Coach for YOU.

SO here is the Question if we are to live in it for 4 years we would want a large coach (40-45 foot).

Correct - with the Right Floor Plan that Keeps You and the DW Happy for the next four Years - Put me in the 45' group even 45' is small for four years.

When we go full time and travel we plan on actually traveling for ~ 2 years.

Think you are forgetting the fact that you will still be able to travel in this Coach for the Four Years you are waiting to retire. So there will be even more to see and do over the next four Years

A new location every 4-5 days.

I am assuming that when you travel in retirement you are thinking of driving to a new location every week, the reason I rounded up to a week is that you will usually find a lower rate for 7 days vs the 4-5 day you suggest, just a personal thought.

We would like to be able to stay in National and State parks and Corp campgrounds.

I've done this RV'ing thing for over 50 years - we seldom make reservations and we almost always stay in State and National Parks, might require a little knowledge but can be done. IMHO to be in a Small RV is just not for US.

Will a coach this large limit our opportunities to do this.

The only Coach that will not limit your opportunities will need to be less than 25' IMHO.

Would we need a smaller coach.

NO - move slowly in making your final decision.

Best of Luck,

Will follow to see what happens in your decision - so be sure to post back,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a