Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #1

Class a motorhome cover

I just purchased a motor home and I would like to buy a cover for it. Does anybody have any suggestions on a good cover. Quality, where to buy and how much do they cost. There seems to be quite a few on the market ranging from just a couple of hundred to over five hundred.
Paula6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #2

I have an ADCO cover with Tyvek. It is one of the more expensive covers. I have patches all over it. It seems no matter what I do to protect and secure it, the slightest rub against anything on the rig rips a hole in it. I've covered all protrusions with tennis balls, and snugged it as tight as I could to keep it from billowing in the wind, and it still tears quite easily.

I've been told by others that the life expectancy of an RV cover is about five years. My suggestion is that you buy one of the lesser priced ones. If you're going to have to be patching frequently and still eventually have to shell out for a new one, why pay for the more expensive one? When my current cover sees its final day, I'll be buying another that doesn't cost as much.

I'm sure others will have a different opinion. You'll just need to consider all the pros and cons and decide what you think is best for you.
wydglydrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a cover because of the hot southwestern sun. Here is what I found:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/i-lo...ml#post1309930

And, here is my RV under its cover...
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/outl...ml#post1681530

You can spend upwards of $1200-plus for custom made covers that use sunbrella type materials...I have one for my boat...but I would prefer to just buy a new cover every 5 years or so for the RV.

Best of luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a cover for my old motor home. It has been used when the motor home was parked inside. The covers do deteriorate in the sunlight over time. You could check the classified here for possible used covers.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
My suggestion would be...don't buy one. Way too many disadvantages that out weigh the advantages...lots of threads here to explain that.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The dissenting opinion didn't take long...This is very much like the flat-tow vs dolly tow argument.

And, I will dispute any of the disadvantages. My cover is the only thing keeping the HOT summer sun from baking-off my decal work, aging the exterior plastic bits and EPDM roof, and cooking the interior systems...plus the RV is cleaner than when I leave it uncovered.

Yes, the pointy parts on your RV will wear a hole in the cover (oh well). That's another reason to skip the expensive custom made covers. My cover has reinforced corners - and the only hole I have after 2 years is from the awning control lever.

It is easy to install (after the first time) by being smart...At removal - fold the cover up in a way that you can simply unroll it from one end - dropping the sides as you go - finishing by zipping the corners closed...a 1 person task except in extreme wind conditions (which I just avoid).

Of course, covered storage is MUCH easier! That's a decision between you and your wallet.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #7

Visit this website,

We put up one of these structures in 2 days (20X48) - you can do it on gravel or concrete. Plus you can take it down and move it with you.

Quiet, bright and VERY strong. Available in any length.

Portable Shelters Portable Garages by Kodiak Shelters

Adam
Adam Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #8

Covers are a hassle etc but so is replacing things on your RV that deteriorate in the sun. Determine yourself how much you value your investment and base it on that. It's my pet peeve and I can't stand them baking out in our So Cal sun so I choose to go thru what hassles that come with using a cover. That being said I get compliments all the time on how good of shape my 1998 Motorhome is for its age . Like everything else in this world, each to their own.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a cover and have since my rig was new. It still looks new at ten years. I am glad I have a cover but I also understand that most people do not. Of the fifteen rigs where I store mine about three are covered that probably mirrors general usage. My rig looks nicer however than the uncovered ones.

I wax once or twice per year and when I remover the cover it is not even dusty. Ready to go with a new wax job after six months of storage.

I use an ADCO Designer Series cover with tyvek. They last three to five years and cost about $400. All mine came from Camping World. This last one I purchased an insurance for around $100. Supposedly they will replace on a one time basis a ripped one, we shall see. If so then I will have two covers for $600. over a span of eight years. All covers chafe a bit and rip. No chafing has occurred on my rig that could not be lightly buffed out and I patch the rips.

I am a seasonal user. So I only remove and re install my cover about four times per year. If I traveled every weekend or even monthly I can see how it would be onerous taking a cover off and on. I get mine on and off by myself but it is much easier with two people obviously. I does not take much time, say twenty minutes. Folding it properly is the key to easy installation and removal.

I'm short of recommending one but I am glad I have used one it has kept my rig protected quite well so for me it has been a worthwhile investment.

Hope this can help you decide.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I currently have a custom cover from Calmark that is made of Sunbrella fabric. Awesome stuff, so much better than the tyvek/poly ones that deteriorate within a couple of years. My ADCO tyvek cover was pretty ragged after the 2nd year on my previous class C. The Calmark was purchased in '09 and I haven't seen any evidence of wear on it yet. It generally goes on in late October and comes off in late April. We usually get a fair amount of wind and heavy snows during that time and though others warn of paint wear from chafing I have not experienced it at all. One nice thing with the custom covers is having a zippered door for easy access when you want to inspect the interior or exercise the generator. The old ACDO didn't have the door and I found that I tended to put off the generator exercise and interior inspection due to the hassle of getting in there. I'm very pleased with it. Cost -- can't remember but thinking around $900 or so. It's your choice whether to buy one of lasting quality or several of lesser.

Al

Tags
class a, motorhome