Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2016, 01:45 PM   #1

class a motorhome tires help needed in pa

Hi everyone,
I have a 1998 Fleetwood American Tradition with 265/75r/22.5 tires. I just bought this unit 6months ago and need to replace the tires. Tire codes so that they are 16 years old. I am having trouble finding tires in the Pittsburgh area. Looking for any suggestions. Thanks

badturks5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2016, 02:48 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I suggest you use Google to search for RV or truck tires in your region. Also, there are internet tire shops that ship free. Then you find a place to mount them. You could contact a RV dealer in your area and ask them who to go to.

16 year old tires are pretty old, hope you don't have to drive very far to a tire shop. If you do order on the internet, you should ask about local roadside shops that could change and mount them in your driveway.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:03 PM   #3

OMG, 16 year old tire, Yeah I do what BFlinn181 said.

BTW~ just curious...
What brand tires are on your coach?
See any crack lines on the tires?
How many miles on your coach?
1996 34'J Fleetwood Bounder, Chevy 454 TBI P-32, Bank PowerPack, Ultra Power Chip, BellCranks, Rear Trac Bar, Silver Safe-T-Plus and 04 CR-V Toad, Roadmaster Base Plate and All Terain Tow Bar, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:16 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yep ........ Someone got their moneys worth outa them tires !

Livin on the edge!
Old 07-10-2016, 05:19 AM   #5

The tires are Goodyear and they have no cracks or scratches or any marks. They have 12/32 tread depth. I am new to rv life and bought it used at a dealer in Virginia and drove it back to Pittsburgh pa. Have had it out to local camp sites as little shake down runs with no problems, lucky I guess. We are leaving at the end of July for a 2 week run to the mountains and the beach so I need to get this done asap.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:48 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's interesting that you have an 18 to 19 year old chassis, but your tires are only 16 years old. I wonder why they were changed out so young? How many miles on your RV?
Rockwood27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:06 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
22.5 tires are sold in Comercial/ farm truck tire businesses. Most corner tire stores cannot help you as they don't have the facilities / lifts to service the tall and heavy motorhome or the cage to properly mount a high pressure tire. Look in the industrial areas where heavy trucks are serviced for shops that can handle your rig. Btw 16 year old tires even with "new" Tread at a time bomb. You are smart to get tha off asap
Congratulations on the new ( to you) MH !
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:28 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'd check those date codes again. Six tires that old surely would have had some sort of an issue if they were used for any significant time. Would hate to see you spend the money if they don't need to be replaced.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:38 AM   #9

Sorry made a mistake the front tires are Samson dot code 022 three digits only. The rears are Goodyear date code 5004. If I understand this correctly the Samson are form 1992 and the Goodyear are from 2004. Is that correct. Thanks for the help from a newbie
Old 07-10-2016, 08:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by badturks5 View Post
Hi everyone,
I have a 1998 Fleetwood American Tradition with 265/75r/22.5 tires. I just bought this unit 6months ago and need to replace the tires. Tire codes so that they are 16 years old. I am having trouble finding tires in the Pittsburgh area. Looking for any suggestions. Thanks
Try calling a local dealership for help. There's a Campers Inn in that area that should be able to help direct you further: Campers Inn RV | Pittsburgh PA RV Dealer | Pennsylvania RV With Great Deals On All RVs

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:12 PM   #11

I just purchased tires from Elliott"s Tire in Butler Pa. 2nd set from them...they are very helpful. Went through FMCA and got a great discount. Just 30 minutes north of Pittsburgh.
Have a 2006 Fleetwood Revolution.
mconley996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #12

I purchased six 22.5 Michelin tires from COSTCO at a good price after locating a shop that could and would mount them. Actually this shop told me about COSTCO ordering them to save money and they would mount them.
I felt I had stretched the orig. tires for ten years even tho. they only had 27,000 miles.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Sorry made a mistake the front tires are Samson dot code 022 three digits only. The rears are Goodyear date code 5004. If I understand this correctly the Samson are form 1992 and the Goodyear are from 2004. Is that correct. Thanks for the help from a newbie
Yes, you are correct. That 3 digit code could be 2nd week of 1992 or 1982 or 1972.

Found this on the internet:
before the year 2000, the date code was only 3 digits, so the first two would be the week of manufacture, and the last would be the year, so without any listing of decade, a 247 date code could either be the 24th week of 1997, 1987, or 1977 (Date stamps went back at least to the 1970s).

Drive SLOWLY to the tire store.

Fred
Old 07-14-2016, 05:40 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I purchased my new tires at Service Tire in Allentown. I was very pleased with their service and the new Yokohamas I purchased. They are a chain and may have a store in Pittsburgh. They specialize in truck tires and service....check them out!

Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, motorhome, tires